Is Nitro worth the extra cost vs a Poly finish on a guitar body ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JB6464, Dec 3, 2019 at 11:59 AM.

1. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

What does the OP mean by "Poly"?
    Is it:
    Polyester
    Polyurethane
    Acrylic Urethane
    or other 2 part cat finish?

The finish can indeed have an effect upon the guitar, but this is limited to the film thickness, assuming that we are talking about a hard finish that resides on top of the wood.

Other than that it is important to realize the plusses and minuses of any finish choice, as there are compromises involved with each.

2. sitedrifter

sitedrifter Gold Supporting Member

A crappy nitro job can feel like a thick poly paint job. A high quality poly paint job can feel like a good nitro paint job.

Poly holds up much better but I like the feel of a good nitro paint job like on my J200.

noisebloom and Jayyj like this.
  3. JB6464

JB6464 Member

So far I have narrowed down to these 3 bodies to consider .
    Fender American 60's Strat Nitro $499
    Fender MIM 60's Strat Poly finish $249
    Warmoth custom build Strat Polyurethane finish $400

Finish will be the Candy Apple Red finish you see on Fender guitars with a satin vintage tinted Maple neck .

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 1:44 PM
  4. JB6464

JB6464 Member

Not sure what OEM Fender Poly finish is , but the Warmoth I believe is Polyurethane .

5. JWhite

JWhite Member

Nitro feels better in my hand. Poly feels like plastic and doesn’t inspire me. IMHO

6. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I have a 20 year old Fender Strat in CAR with a Poly finish. That's exactly what I think of when I think of poly not aging well...It has a few chips and dings/dents otherwise it looks brand new. I know the finish has darkened a touch though as I changed the tuners and the neck is a little lighter underneath.

IMO I would go with the American 60's Fender body and I wouldn't worry about poly vs nitro on the neck. I have a satin poly maple neck on my PRS that I love the feel of.

7. nl128

nl128 Silver Supporting Member

most importantly , who’s doing the finish ?

Bassopotamus likes this.
  8. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

I much prefer the look of nitro over poly, particularly when we're talking inch thick factory poly finishes. Nitro somehow looks softer and yet more lustrous than poly, and I love the way looks when it ages. I think it's a conditioning thing - I've been a fan of vintage guitars since my mid teens, so as soon as I see a heavily crazed nitro finish I feel like I'm solid ground! Beyond that I don't believe in any difference in sound or old wive's tales about the wood breathing.

A guy I know makes acoustics with aged nitro finishes and we've talked a lot about this. He buys enough lacquer to be able to specify how the batch is made, and he goes into it in some depth with the supplier to get something that behaves exactly like nitro did in the 30s through 60s. He thinks they get pretty close, but apparently they seem utterly bewildered as to what he thinks he's doing with it.

'I need you to mix some lacquer without these ingredients'
    'But you need those, they stop the lacquer cracking'.
    'Yeah, I'm aiming for an old looking finish'.
    'Er, ok. But you know it'll crack as it ages though?'
    'I'm intending it to crack, that's the point!'
    'Ok, we can make it but you'll have to waive the warranty, because we can't guarantee it won't crack'
    'But that's what... Ok, never mind, I'll risk it!'

uab9253, Abram4235 and noisebloom like this.
  9. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member Vendor

No specific type of paint affords any sonic advantage in the construction.... However, since anything you do to a guitar alters it's voice... you have to respect that variable... but since you cannot tell what the paint has done until the guitar its completed, and the paint does not bring a specific sonic advantage, one cannot simply choose a type of finish to sculpt the final voice of the guitar..

However, since so much of a "relationship" with a guitar is psychological, the number one priority in choosing one is getting what you originally wanted. Never allow someone "sell" you on something other than what your original "dream" was .. do so and you will be wondering if ya made the right call for the life of that guitar, for the "short" life...

Therefore choose the finish based on the way you will be using the guitar.. if you're play professionally, and are less than careful, go with something more durable.

rk

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 3:36 PM
  10. Terry McInturff

I truly LOVE an expertly done nitro finish. But an important challenge is the fact (IMO) there's no "one can, one brand" clear gloss nitro that I like much. No one product that performs similarly to the older Nikolas, etc brands from the glory days.

coffeecupman likes this.
  11. toddincharlotte

toddincharlotte Supporting Member

I agree with Terry on this. I think the "old" Nitro was what people really loved and while there may be modern day companies spraying nitro well, my personal experience with nitro on guitars made over the last 15 years has been hit or miss. Specifically, the necks on several Gibsons I've owned get gummy. I wipe them down, I keep them clean. Seems no matter what I do, my left hand reacts with nitro. So much so that I'm considering knocking down the finish on a Les Paul neck I own that I know will be a forever guitar. Love, love, love everything about the guitar except the gummy.

uab9253 and Terry McInturff like this.
  12. Gclef

Gclef Member

I have had and played both extensively.

My vote goes to poly.

I like my guitars to look as new as possible. I also dont like sticky finishes.
    Poly works for me. Gloss bodies and satin necks.

The satin finish is my favorite for necks. I love the almost burnished feel they get after years of play!

hardbob, valvestate and Whiskeyrebel like this.
  13. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

my 2 cents... I won't go out on a limb and tell you that poly sounds bad... I have plenty of poly guitars and they are def good enough for many great players. that said... I did a really thick poly finish on a guitar once -solid mahog. that thing sounded unbearably bright for about the first 6 months I had it. It has mellowed quite a bit over time. doesn't make sense to me because I would think the poly would get brighter as it hardened. perhaps certain freq were being subdued and that led me to hear the brightness more... don't know. just saying I think there is something to the sound of a finish and it def changes over time. Seems to me to be within the realm of things you can compensate for in pickup choice.
    my fav sounding guitar has a very thin nitro finish. Fully admitting possibility that that is coincidence... but I'll go with what seems to work for me.

noisebloom likes this.
  14. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

"Nitro" is basically an outdated finish that is prone to cracking with weather changes, can get sticky with certain sweats, can react with stands, hangers, and even guitar straps and case parts, wears poorly, can react with many chemicals including bug spray, is not nearly as water resistant as modern finishes, and is very toxic to apply. What's not to love?
    It was the only game in town on the older guitars our heroes all played, hence the attraction. Nitro will not make me play like Page, Clapton, etc. (I have played since the 60s and owned plenty of "nitro" finished guitars).

I don't drive old rusted out Detroit iron cars from the 50s or 60s. I'll take modern innovation any day.
    So, a well done, not super thick durable modern finish for me any day. I would not even consider a new guitar/part with nitro even if it cost less.

Others obviously have different preferences. Variety keeps life interesting.

Anacharsis, hardbob, shane8 and 4 others like this.
  15. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Nitro is much easier to repair and refinish but poly is definitely a lot more durable. I like a poly finish if its applied more 'thin' and not coated on really thick. Also you can get different grades of poly.. polyester and polyurethane are noticeably different from what I have looked at.

16. joemiracle220

joemiracle220 Member

I domt know if it makes a difference... I mean if you had two identical telecasters ...they would sound slightly different...poly or nitro.. Just due to the slight variation in the density of the wood... I would think the type of finish used has even less of an effect... But I'm no expert.

I like nitro for how it ages ... But I own and love both.

Abram4235 likes this.
  17. Terry McInturff

Don't get me wrong, there is a method for replicating the characteristics of the older nitrocellulose lacquers using modern materials, but this is not what you would find on a production made guitar. Finish chemistry is fascinating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. McShred

McShred Supporting Member

no one can hear the difference, anyone that says they can is fooling themselves.

With that said, nitro does wear differently. It settles in to the finish as it off gasses, it wears much more easily, checks, etc.. Poly or the more modern thin urethane finishes will look new a long, long, time.

It really boils down to looks. Do you want your guitar to look shiny and new for as long as possible, or do you want something that will look vintage more quickly?

I tend to spec nitro on vintage spec strats & teles, and opt for urethane on more modern color/spec guitars

19. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

20. David Garner

David Garner Supporting Member

Granted. But I have a 1996 poly finished guitar and a 1993 nitro finished guitar. The 93 has more visible wear, sure, but it looks natural. The 1996 just looks beat up.

smallbutmighty likes this.