Is nos sylvania the brightest 6v6 tube?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Triocd, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Triocd

Triocd Supporting Member

I'm looking to brighten up my 5f1 a bit and need to replace my 6v6. I've read a couple subtle comments that sylvanias tend to be bright, but I'm looking for confirmation before I buy.

Thanks

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    The JAN Philips and some of the Sylvanias are definitely at the bright end of the scale.

3. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

GE grey plate 6V6GTA's are pretty bright.

4. Trout

Trout Member

I agree.

I had a sleeve of GE 6V6GTA clear tops that were extremely bright. They may have actually been something else re-labeled but for sure they were crisp.

slider313 likes this.
  5. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

I love the Sylvania 6v6 for my single ended amps. :cool:

6. traynor

traynor Member

April fools day just keeps getting longer each year.......an output tube brighter? just because it's said doesn't make it true.

7. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

Aren't tubes designed for flat response? They may act differently in different circuits.

8. deejayen

deejayen Member

I've just replaced the 6V6GT in my Deluxe Reverb Reissue for the first time. I went for the JAN Philips ones because the dealer said they gave a great clean tone. I've just played through the amp for the first time since replacing the valves, and my first impression is that they are actually brighter than the valves they replaced. Are you saying there's no tonal difference between valves? What else would the difference be due to - age of the valves, or different bias etc.?

After the first play, I'm not sure I like the 'new' tone. On the positive side, there's a sharper attack, and greater bass note definition, but I'm missing the warmth and enveloping tone of the original (Fender/GrooveTubes). It's almost like the reverb isn't gelling with the notes.

9. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Member

Just because someone who is unable to hear differences in tube types and brands says that it's not true doesn't make it not true either. It's ok if you don't hear the subtleties because many don't, but don't piss on those of us who do.

traynor, TheWayfarer84, cap47 and 2 others like this.