Is one headstock shape better than another for trem usage?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SiloScience, Dec 26, 2009.

1. SiloScience

SiloScience Member

Building a new neck (Warmoth) for my bolt on SG. Gonna use a Stetsbar trem. I've heard a few things regarding headstock shape and trems. Such as .. you want the strings (above the nut) to be as straight .. or "in line" as possible with the strings as they are on the neck. Like a LP headstock, the strings all pretty much align with the grooves on the nut. I guess this helps assure the strings stretch and contract evenly, holding a tune better. Of couse this is all hearsay as I wouldn't know.

The neck on my SG currently has a Strat head. I'm not a traditionalist so things like SGs with Strat haeds are no trouble for me. I've grown to like the sound of the "tuners all on one side/bass string is longest string" philosophy. Mostly because I'd read/heard/been told that this setup was best for the tradtional Trower/Hendrix/SRV type tones. Not because I actually know any better (just thought I'd make it clear I'm no "guru").

So it seems I'm in a bit of a conflict. Thoughts?

Thank you! And Merriest of Merries! :aok

Brian.

2. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I would think that any shape that provides a straight pull through the nut, as on PRS and others, would be the most effective. Now I'm no luthier or even much of a trem user, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

3. SiloScience

SiloScience Member

That's what I meant to say earlier. You put it much better than I did. Thanks for that.

Yea, I've heard the same thing about the straightest pull you can find is the best of the bunch.

But like you, I'm not a real doctor, but I play one on TV :) So I really don't know if this is just another band practice myth or what. Seems like "common sense", but sense common to whom?

4. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

straight pull! VERY important.

5. Full Monty

Full Monty Member

I actually have more problems with tuning on my Gibsons than my trem loaded guitars of any brand because of the way the strings splay out after passing over the nut. Which only adds further weight to the 'straight pull' theory.

6. SiloScience

SiloScience Member

Once I posted some pics of my bastard SG here. Of course I caught a load for it having a "strat neck on an SG". Then someone posted something about how the standard Gibson 3x3 headstock has some sort of inherent tuning issue, and that the Strat headstock totally avoided that problem and the Strat headstock on my SG was probably a good idea.

So, that said, I guess I'm looking for a headstock that has a straight pull but is NOT in the traditional Gibson style. Do I have it correct? So I guess my silly little Strat headstock is the way to do this? How funny. Haahaa! Full circle I go!

The staggered string length of the Strat headstock won't be an issue for trem use then? Is that some "band practice mythology" or what?

Thanks for the help so far.

7. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

Holiday Inn Express obviously made a difference.

Straight Pull is the right answer.

8. rockstarjay

rockstarjay Member

Nope. Tuning Problems are usually nut-related.

9. SiloScience

SiloScience Member

Cool! Sounds like the issue is settled.

Here's the specs....

Padouk Warmoth Pro neck 24-3/4" scale length and Strat headstock.
    Ebony straight 10" radius fretboard.
    "Boatback" rear contour.
    Stainless Jumbo frets #6115
    Graphite 1-5/8 nut.
    Planet Waves locking tuners.
    No finish.

Should do the trick.

Thanks for the suggestions!