• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Is Peavey Classic 30 good at all for bedroom amp?

pistolsteve

I've located a deal that's just about too good to pass up on a Peavey Classic 30. Here's the catch: At the present, I'm strictly a bedroom player. I have hopes to be gigging within the next couple of years, but for now, I'm strictly playing at home, and can't really be cranking things up too much.

I know the Classic 30 is well-regarded, and I've liked the sound samples I've listened to, but I'm wondering --- even at the good price I'm looking at --- if it's really worth it to buy this amp given my current needs. I'm hoping there are Classic 30 players on here who can give me a good assessment of this amp and whether it might be more than I really need.

I'm playing through an Epiphone Valve Jr. at the present. I'd probably sell it if I pick up the C30.

toomanyamps

Great bedroom amp. The pre amp distortion is great so even if you can't crank it it sounds really good at low volumes. And as bedroom amps go I have a Microcube, a Gdec and a 5 watt Gretsch 5222 ( same as a Fender Campion 600) and at low volume distortion the Peavey C30 sounds better than any of them.

MartinC

I had a Classic 30 for 3-4 years ... mainly for home use with some full band rehearsal and live performance.

I actually bought it to replace a Music Man 65 watter 'cos the MM was absolutely not suited to home playing. The Peavey was much more useful and sounded good at lower volumes ... clean and OD channels alike. That said, it is still a pretty loud amp ... in its sweet spot it's too loud for home use, but it definitely does sound good at lower levels too. I never managed to get the clean channel much past 4-5 (out of 12 on the dial) ... even with a full band.

It'd do well for you at home and would easily be loud enough for pub gigs. And they're hard to beat on the value for money side of things.

guitargeezer

Gold Supporting Member
I think the Classic 30 is great for at-home playing or jamming, but I use an inexpensive volume box (it was like $18 on eBay) to keep the tone up, but the volume down to very manageable levels on mine.

Darth Tater

Silver Supporting Member
It's a great bedroom amp. Personally I think the Fender Super Champ XD is better (I have both) but by the time you replace the speaker in the XD or get a separate speaker cabinet the cost starts to get up there. But if you have a good 1x12 cabinet already you can use....look into the XD.

s360guitarist

Silver Supporting Member
The C30 is a great amp, hands down. This is only my opinion, but I don't think it works in a bedroom. It depends on who you have living with you/next to you. I could not get mine turned up enough to hit the sweet spot. It did not do the amp justice. You wanna play out with a band...great amp.

dazco

I've had 3 C30's over the years and they were good amps. Nothing spectacular but workhorses. However i'd opt for something else for bedroom use only. If you can find an old classic 20 those are much better. Partially because they just sound better being a cathode biased amp, (i cathode biased my C30's and they sounded a good bit better) but also because they're a tad bit less wattage and because they have a 10" min a smaller cab. So the lowest volume at which you can get good tone is significatly lower. Plus with a small can and a 10" you can get one of those real low wattage 10" speakers with a low SPL and futher drop it down. the C30 really isn't a low volume amp at all. I gigged with them many times and never got the volume up more than about 1/2 or a bit less on the master which is probably 70% of it's full volume. Crate's first line of vintage club amps were good too, and they had a 20 wtter also which even came in 2 verions, one having reverb. Nice little amps also. I still feel the C20 was better tho. that was a sweet little amp.

The fact that you say you're planning on gigging soon I'd recommend it, it'll serve you well for live gigs and it will be usable for home use but the fact is not many valve amps sound great a low volumes. I've got a champ 600 5watt amp which I'm sure still bugs the neighbours.

Anyway I think you're on the right track with the Classic-30 passable tones at home and great little gigging amp for the future.

shane8

i use mine @ home (and everywhere else) and it's decent enough = they sound much better cranked with the vol half way up or more but usin the master vol can work ok @ house levels

i don't see the point of having a special house amp cos even a cranked 5watter will annoy the neighbours ;)

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
They suck for bedroom use and you shouldn't buy it. Please pass on the great deal to someone who could use it, like me. Thanks!

supernosher

I had several noise complaints when I had my C30, but that doesn't mean much - just meant that my neighbor was a little bitch.

Why would you buy an amp with 4 EL84's for your bedroom? Total overkill. Get a 5 watt amp or something. Plus C30's are junk - sure they sound OK, but the build quality is so poor + having to replace four EL84's is alot more expensive than having to replace 1.

Now, let the flames begin.

MartinC

i don't see the point of having a special house amp cos even a cranked 5watter will annoy the neighbours ;)
I was intending to make this point in my post, but couldn't think of the right words ... it was pre-coffee!

You've said it perfectly and I agree 100%.

If I ever bought an amp just for home it'd be a Roland Cube or Vox Valvetronix or something similar ... not a tube amp. So far I haven't chosen to go down that path ... I've used the Classic 30 and my current H&K Statesman 40 to cover all scenarios except headphone usage ... that's what my POD gets most of its usage for.

MartinC

I had several noise complaints when I had my C30, but that doesn't mean much - just meant that my neighbor was a little bitch.

Why would you buy an amp with 4 EL84's for your bedroom? Total overkill. Get a 5 watt amp or something. Plus C30's are junk - sure they sound OK, but the build quality is so poor + having to replace four EL84's is alot more expensive than having to replace 1.

Now, let the flames begin.
I'll go first ... :FM

Never had any issues with my C30 in the 3-4 years that I had it ... other than needing tubes replaced.

It's only overkill for the bedroom if you can't get good tone when the amp is turned down to bedroom volumes. That's not the case with the Classic 30

:mob

;)

supernosher

I'll go first ... :FM

Never had any issues with my C30 in the 3-4 years that I had it ... other than needing tubes replaced.

It's only overkill for the bedroom if you can't get good tone when the amp is turned down to bedroom volumes. That's not the case with the Classic 30

:mob

;)
:) I can't keep my volume on one.

dazco

It's not how loud it is. Yes, a 5 watter will be loud. The point is the same thing as buying a 50 watt marshall vs a 100 watter. True, they are both so friggin loud you'll not hear much difference. BUT, what you WILL hear is the 50 watter will get the goods earlier on. A 5 watt amp may not be a lot lower volume than a 30. But assuming like the C30 you are using preamp distortion and not cranked amp output distortion, the 5 watter will get the good far better at lower volume than the 30, all things being equal. thats why i recommended a classic 20 with a 10". 20 watts isn't a lot lower volume wise, but it will get the goods at a considerably lower level than the 30. 2xEL84 vs 4XEL84 will also make a considerable difference in the volume level at which it begins to sound good.

I gotta say tho, one of the biggest changes you can make for bedroom volume is a very low SPL speaker. You know how theres a point on the master of most amps where the tone goes from utterly useless to usable? And usually it's a bit past comfortable bedroom level. Well, a speaker with a SPL rating say 3 or 4 DB lower can make a huge difference and let you crank the master to that point while staying at a volume level that works for you. One way to go about having a gigging amp that also doubles as a bedroom amp is get a speaker like that and install it when not gigging, or better yet build a small speaker cab to use at home with a low SPL/wattage speaker and bypass the combo's internal speaker.

6Tones

I Owned a classic30,great amp for the money,sort of lackluster dirty channelthough ,ok but not stellar.
It takes pedal great though and its reliable.
I never had a problem with it after owning it for 7years .
But for just bedroom use Id recommend the Tech21 trademark amp,GREATsounding amp !

RvChevron

Depends on how quiet you need for bedroom playing, even a half watt tube amp cranked up thru a 10" speaker is way louder than normal conversation level.

30 Watt thru a 1x12 is much better suited for playing smaller clubs etc.

30watt is really just a tad quieter than 50W which is just a tad quieter than 100W. The decrease in wattage does not proportionally reduce volume at all.

Since you said you may play out later on, I would snap it up for that application, especially when you said the price is real good.

Wattage is really not a good indicator for good low volume tone. A 50 watter with a good master volume can provide some great tone at bedroom level.

donnievaz

Excellent bedroom amp with the added bonus of being able to really crank it out when the opportunity presents itself (home alone, jamming with friends, etc.)

Tip: Replace that crappy speaker and it becomes an even better amp. I've got an Eminence Private Jack in mine.

StompBoxBlues

I've located a deal that's just about too good to pass up on a Peavey Classic 30. Here's the catch: At the present, I'm strictly a bedroom player. I have hopes to be gigging within the next couple of years, but for now, I'm strictly playing at home, and can't really be cranking things up too much.

I know the Classic 30 is well-regarded, and I've liked the sound samples I've listened to, but I'm wondering --- even at the good price I'm looking at --- if it's really worth it to buy this amp given my current needs. I'm hoping there are Classic 30 players on here who can give me a good assessment of this amp and whether it might be more than I really need.

I'm playing through an Epiphone Valve Jr. at the present. I'd probably sell it if I pick up the C30.
Perfect for bedroom. Has all the features so you could use it however you want, but a wonderful balance between the OD and clean channel in that when I EQ for clean to be it's best, OD sounds great too.

Master volume on OD channel, so you can get levels you want and it sounds good. Effects loop (non noisy and stompbox levels) lets you have maximum flexibility.

Also, when you go out in the world with it, it alone can handle a non-bombastic band on its own. Add an extension cab and it seems louder and can compete well, and at a gig is easy to carry, mic up.

I bought mine used, and had to buy a little (god...I FORGET the name of the damned thing every time but someone always knows what I refer to here) "tube holder" that screws right into the "tube cage" (though I had to mod the cage by cutting some of the tines to make it fit) that holds the tubes tight to get rid of rattle.

One mod I probably will get around to soon is to have the internal speaker be pluggable. It's hard wired as is (with an external cab jack available), which means you couldn't ONLY use an external cab (there is a "head" model available too, just so you know) you'd always have the combo speaker on. But it's simple to make that a plug and jack.

I think it is one of the best, most versatile rock/blues amps around. Can get SRV sound going even on the OD, or not...

Oh yeah, it takes pedals really well too!

Trending Topics