Is pedal-drama overtaking TGP?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MrMoose, Feb 19, 2019.

Is pedal-drama overtaking TGP these days?

1. It probably is, yeah

134 vote(s)
    58.0%
  2. Are you kidding?!?! I live for this sh*t

97 vote(s)
    42.0%
  1. MrMoose

MrMoose Member

There sure seems to be a lot of drama surrounding guitar pedals on TGP these days, and it feels like everyday there’s a new trending thread where the TGP community is going wild about some scandalous event.

What do you think - has TGP always been like this, or are things changing?

P.S. “Shut up ’n play yer guitar”! :munch

indeedido likes this.
  2. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

“Is there too much pedal drama?”, he asks, while popping popcorn and sitting back in a move to start more pedal drama.

3. nnnnnn

nnnnnn Member

My profile page says I joined two and a half years ago, and I haven't noticed any significant change in tone in that time. (Here or playing my guitar.)

4. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Drama has been around for many years now. Come on.

Steven, jpagey, blackba and 4 others like this.
  5. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

Used to be gear talk, now it's who's suing who, who is copying who, or who can sound the most intelligent.

speakerdad, pete692, uab9253 and 5 others like this.
  6. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

7. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

The drama is why there is a TGP.

8. drysideshooter

drysideshooter Member

Even with some drama here and there, I find TGP to be a valuable resource for info on pedals, and many other things. Some pedals work much differently with different amps, and there are enough folks here that you have a good chance of finding something that has tried the same combo you are thinking of. Some folks don't interact well with others, some just like stirring a pot and watching, and some are just really passionate in their opinions. It can create some drama, but there are pearls of wisdom in there too, so it's worth it.

9. Radar

Radar Member

No! There isn't any drama! :argue :fisticuffs

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  10. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    I use a Tim and an Id pedal for my dirt.
    Last year, I bought the Line 6 HX FX and am totally happy with what I have chosen. (I know that is not a good answer, when pedal-mania appears to be happening, and advancing, but there ya go. :)
    ymmv

WILLIEKENDRICK likes this.
  11. monty

monty Member

Same with any forum. Most folks just seem to get drawn into it.

edro, pepedede, Fat tone79 and 3 others like this.
  12. SpaceCat

SpaceCat Member

I don't mind the topics. They're usually at least relevant and sometimes interesting and it's just nice being aware of what's going on. It's the formulaic drama in the thread that follows that gets tiresome after being on guitar forums for years and years. Gone are the days when I would actually read through 20+ page threads. If you read one mega guitar drama thread, you've read them all.

morgan918 likes this.
  13. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Staff Member

Lol. I see no additional drama vs. normal.

You want to see some drama go and checkout those old Vertex or Freakish Blues threads.....that was drama. This is Tuesday.

Not Orange, hippieboy, juri and 13 others like this.
  14. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

It’s been all downhill since the Vertex Wah. That was epic.

Blooby, VooDooClown and FenderBigot like this.
  15. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Klon, Klon(e)... klones!!! :fisticuffs

16. Flying_Milkman

Flying_Milkman Member

I scroll past threads I don't want to read and read the ones I do. Sometimes the dramas fun - but when it's not it's easy to click out. I assumed this was how forums operate?

Not Orange and gmann like this.
  17. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

18. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Supporting Member

I am trying to stop buying pedals and feed the frenzy of “something new that I’m terribly missing”. And, yes, the drama level is epic and I’m tired of it.

uab9253 likes this.
  19. SRQGuitar

SRQGuitar Director of the 2019 Like Farming Initiative Gold Supporting Member

No. No it isn't. Perhaps you don't understand the phrase "taking over"

Hofnarr and Page of Cups like this.
  20. StormJH1

StormJH1 Member

Yeah, largely agree. We don't need another thousand threads about the morality of Chinese pedal clones, but for the most part, the topics are very timely to the industry even if they're a bit "inside baseball" for the average consumer. There's entire subcategories on this forum I've never even clicked on, so it doesn't hurt me at all that other people are into topics I'm not interested in. I'd rather there was a place where "too much" discussion was happening on a topic (and I can come and go as I please), versus no such discussion at all.

Also, as I've said before, TGP (and some of the other niche forums) are really the only resource for consumer reviews of gear. Any major music publication or website has obvious financial incentives not to trash potential sources of ad revenue. I like a lot of the YouTube demo/review channels, but again, those are frequently people either hired by the gear companies or provided free "demo" copies of pedals to borrow or own. Some channels are more upfront about that than others, and you can still gleam useful information about the product and the audio demos, but it's not a true "review".

The (relative) anonymity of message boards leads people to act crappy to one another sometimes, but it also leads people to be more honest about making a bad purchase, or admitting there were things disappointing to them about the product they just spent a bunch of money on. That's valuable information - even if anecdotal - for prospective buyers.

Adagietto likes this.