• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Is playing guitar is good for your mental health?

mad dog

Gold Supporting Member
Playing guitar has been a steadying behavior in times of great trouble, a real positive for mental and emotional health. I cannot generalize on this. That has been my experience.

gkoelling

Playing guitar may improve cognitive function but trying to do it well may drive you crazy. I'm a prime example, after over 53 years I still think I suck and I hate that!

:)

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
We see playing guitar as a form of mindful escapism, a way to create space between an individual and their busy mind. Guitar-playing is beneficial to your overall well-being and mental health in other ways, too, including helping you develop a greater sense of personal achievement.

What you say about this?
I do not think it is limited to guitar, as in no other instrumentalists get any of these benefits, only guitar players.

Plus TGP, and reading about musicians in general, doesn’t in anyway make me think playing gives greater mental health.

Fenderbaum

My strat is my companion. I divorced almost 5 years ago, and i have remained single ever since.
I got a Strat one day i fell for for $600, I bought her like a cheap Pataya hooker and ever since, i don´t bother with girls anymore..
She speaks to me in the sweetest tone when i caress her. What the hell else do i need (apart from a life)

True story..

Presc

100%. I got into yoga a few years ago and realized the feeling I get from the “moving meditation” of yoga is very similar to the feeling I experience when I get lost in the guitar. The conscious mind is off and I am simply in the moment.

I work a pretty demanding day job in finance, which I enjoy, but guitar provides me with an outlet to use a different part of my brain and keeps me balanced.

suparsonic

**** yeah, nothing like some six string therapy. My other outlet is spinning laps on my MX bikes, gets the Adrenalin going.

Dr Bonkers

An IR Vendor who opted to go for Gold this year!
Gold Supporting Member
It's great for your mental health as long as you focus on being the best you. I have seen people's mental health deteriorate when they try obsessively to be like a certain player and for one reason or another can't achieve that goal.

Be the best you and enjoy creating your art and embracing what you do best. It has certainly helped me over the years.

It's also great for training your brain as far as memorization, visualization, listening, and fine motor skills. Stress relief is also a side benefit.

It definitely helped me recover certain brain functions after a freakish and bad head injury last year.

Last edited:

jujube

We see playing guitar as a form of mindful escapism, a way to create space between an individual and their busy mind. Guitar-playing is beneficial to your overall well-being and mental health in other ways, too, including helping you develop a greater sense of personal achievement.

What you say about this?
I sleep very well when I practice in the evenings. :)

Emigre

Playing guitar is amazing from when I could play well.

Getting to the point where I could play well was a long journey with a lot of frustration, and not because of my ego.

Urobouros

Double Platinum Member
Absolutely, positively, emphatically yes!!! I'm normally an a$$hole but, when I don't play...:Devil

Jeff Scott

Any activity that stimulates the brain is good for you. Playing a musical instrument and doing so on a serious level, in particular, is excellent for warding off the evils of old-fartism. :dude

Trending Topics