Is pro-tools worth it?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by CaprioM85, Nov 30, 2017.

1. CaprioM85

CaprioM85 Member

i bought an eleven rack and it came with Pro Tools Forst. Is the upgrade worth it?

2. crossbones

crossbones Member

In a word...
    No.

I use Pro Tools for work. (For years)
    Kind of invested.
    There are just better things out there.

Logic. Studio One. Harrison.

PBGas, ckfoxtrot and Justin Hitchborn like this.
  3. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

Unless you are working in tight collaboration with someone that already has it, I can't see why.
    I once used it, but use Reaper now. I've used Logic too. I've only heard objectively good things re Studio One. I have not used it except to demo it, but a knowledgeable friend does, so I have some sense second hand.

Why pay that much when other products can do the same thing cheaper? (And with Reaper, for one, more efficiently).

I still collaborate with others using other DAWs, we just send wav or aif stems, easy enough.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Gasp100 and djbrough like this.
  4. B Money

B Money Member

I use PT10 that came with my Eleven Rack, I like it well enough but I'm not going to pay to upgrade it to whatever the current version is. I also use an ancient version of Cubase that frankly, is sufficient for my needs and seems a little more intuitive to me.
    The nice thing about using PT with Eleven Rack is the tight integration. They really work well together.

5. Justin Hitchborn

Justin Hitchborn Supporting Member

I agree with the above. My "experience" with ProTools was not a good one. Other stuff can be had that is easier to use, just as capable, sometimes cheaper, and often with far fewer setup and compatibility hoops to jump through.

If you are starting fresh and don't have a compelling reason to go with it other than "It's ProTools", look elsewhere.

macdolfan904 likes this.
  6. wpawley

wpawley Member

It seems like every time Pro Tools does an update, something you (or me or anyone using it a lot) changes to make you have to learn something over again. I use PT 11.3, have acquaintances who have the subscription for PT 12 and it is a somewhat different animal. I have the "Artist" version of StudioLive that came with my PreSonus 1642AI board and I just don't care for it. Granted, it is just a basic DAW and doesn't have a lot of capability but it seems to not be nearly as work friendly to me as Pro Tools is. Then again, it is all about what you are used to working in. I'm not an "expert" on Pro Tools or any other DAW but I just find working in PT a bit easier than most others I have tried. Another thing I really DO NOT like about some DAW's is that you have to have the iLok Key. I keep mine tied to my computer as replacing it is very expensive. Also, I found out the having the computer with PT/iLok hooked to the internet, sometimes it will do an auto-update (at least mine did) and screwed up the program and I had to go back in and straighten it out and roll it back to an earlier version and bring it back forward. Hence, my PT computer never sees the internet now. I also lost a couple projects I was working on because of it. So, just think about what DAW you won't to concentrate your time and efforts on and stick with it. All DAW's are capable of doing well once you get the basics down and build on them.

7. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

SONAR was much better than pro tools.

but it's defunct now..

studio one and cubase seem to be up front in the running for sonar users to migrate to.

8. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

The simple fact that Pro Tools is a yearly subscription rip-off, should be enough to turn most potential customers away. What a load of crap that is.

JK47 and PBGas like this.
  9. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

The only reason to commit to ProTools is if you're working in a commercial studio environment (or sharing projects with people who do) and absolutely have to have the "industry standard."

335guy likes this.
  10. CaprioM85

CaprioM85 Member

Ok, I have Studio One experience and I liked it well enough. The eleven rack, as far as I can tell is 100% compatible with Studio One. Looks like I’ll be sticking with that.

11. Teal_66

Teal_66 Member

I did exactly the same thing. I bought full ProTools and the ElevenRack as a bundle. I took classes to learn ProTools. I know it good enough now, but not like a real engineer does.
    That program cost me $24 per month, and I run all Macs. I have so often desired to switch to Logic Pro ($200), but switching DAWs is no small matter. So if I were you, here's how I would weigh the decision:

1. Will it annoy you to pay $24 per month to have ProTools?
    2. Are you a pro musician that's always going to a studio that uses ProTools?

If you ARE a pro - you can get by without ProTools, but will probably waste less time if you use it.
    The main issue is the costs (for me). Logic Pro will cost you $200, and that's it, but you can only run it on a Mac.

No matter what your DAW is, if any studio doesn't use it, they can port in your stems and work with them just fine.
    There are people out there using Reaper and other DAWs, but I would say the big 2 are PT and Logic.

Logic is excellent and a lot less money than PT. Logic also has excellent drum syms, and a lot of amp options, etc.

12. micycle

micycle Member

Logic, Logic, Logic!

PBGas likes this.
  13. GravityJim

GravityJim Silver Supporting Member

Nope. There's no "industry standard" any more. There are guys working in Logic, Studio One, Digital Performer, Sonar... the oft-repeated canard on the Webz is, "Well, ProTools is the standard. You have to use it because everyone else does" is so over. In fact, Avid is not doing well financially, I'm told.

mattball826 likes this.
  14. Old Black

Old Black Member

So true!!! I have non-subscription 10 and 11 and I will NOT go to 12 because of the subscription model.

wpawley and Hefalump like this.
  15. crossbones

crossbones Member

Yeah,
    I have to pay my yearly $399 fee this month.
    I am in the middle of a big project right now, but this is the last time I pay any fees to Avid.
    We are switching a fortune in PT related software to Harrison Mixbus.
    There are a few plugins that I'll miss, but I'm sure we'll find replacements.
    Apple now sucks.
    Avid now sucks.
    It's too bad.

IGuitUpIGuitDown likes this.
  16. ibis

ibis Member

Harrison sounds better.

17. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

How much it that?

18. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

We’ve also been discussing a shift to PT at my company. The biggest factor in considering a change is learning a new DAW. And once one does put in the time to fly in a new DAW, which vital functionalities that is/ are required to deliver pro mixed audio will be misding and send you back to your old DAW comfort zone?

I use SawStudio for mixing audio, and I LOVE it. Automation is completely unique. Waveform height zoom is second to none. We mix a lot of dialogue that is recorded between -18 to -30 db ( I find Sennheiser MKE2 sounds much better at this low volume). With performances that quiet, you will never see it in Logic X. For music making, I use Propellerhead Reason...I do very much like Reason, but waveform height zoom issues are a problem there too. I would not even entertain the prospect of mixing film dialogue in Reason. Logic is more like Reason, it’s for making music. I’m not interested in Mac / Apple beyond ipad.

Last time I used PT was 6.8 and it was clunky and unworkable when it comes to hardware compatibility...the 6.8 DAE takes like 2 min to launch! No thanks...SawStudio is ready to start work in 5 seconds. We’ve been demoing Reaper because it is inexpensive and very capable. There are a few issues, like waveform height zoom in the raw audio window (I don’t remember what that window is called...it is where you select audio within the raw audio). Getting the timeline to display SMPTE hhmmssff and subFrames. My main issue with Reaper is I don’t trust the output meters, they are too low res / short for my liking. I have tried several skins...anyway, I’d be using VSTs for critical metering, anyway.

What is pointing us at PT is we know it has all the functionality for our purposes. So, becoming a PT “expert” seems worthwhile in that respect...yet, there are so many negatives: high cost, legacy gets tossed out the window with each new version, dongle requirement, software rental (the most offensive issue, imo), and the list goes on. Hence why I have stayed with 15 year old, more than capable software that I own and just flat out works great.

19. crossbones

crossbones Member

Well I am starting to hate it, but PT 12.** is worlds better and faster than SawStudio.
    No offense of course.

ctreitzell likes this.
  20. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

none taken :)

what was the last computer spec you ran SawStudio on?

how long does it take PT 12 to launch and be ready to work? and on what computer spec?

just for info purposes, if you get the chance