Is PRS going to release the greatest Tele ever?

Chiefsfan15

There is no "special magic" imparted by the sticker on the headstock, except that which may live in your imagination.

The value of the guitar is in what it does; how useful it is, how it compares to others.

If, as the Silver Sky convinced so many, that PRS can build a better mousetrap, the world will beat a path to this Tele as it did for the Silver Sky.

The Silver Sky was a story of a legitimately great instrument filled with many small improvements and a consistency of build quality that only PRS delivers out there on the market. You certainly pay for it in the Maryland-made PRSes, but it can't be denied.

If they do the same with the Tele, it'll be a runaway hit too.

dougb415

It's simple man, it's the feeling people get. Using your car analogy I get an entirely different feeling driving my newer mustangs than classic. Love the newer ones but the classic feels special to me. Even though the new ones have been more advanced in every way.
Except in this context you wouldn't drive your newer Mustang, because it's not "special", as opposed to every Model T, which is "special" simply by virtue of being a Model T.

budg

Silver Supporting Member
Except in this context you wouldn't drive your newer Mustang, because it's not "special", as opposed to every Model T, which is "special" simply by virtue of being a Model T.
Maybe a comparison of owning a 65 Mustang vs a newer Mustang might be more appropriate unless your just trying to make a Fender tele look more out of date than it actually is. I’d take the 65 mustang in a heartbeat.

Chiefsfan15

Yes, I think it would be akin to not only driving a 1960s Mustang but also boasting that it’s superior to today’s muscle cars because cars were more hand made back then, because the feel of its 200hp really takes you back, and even though it has only 3 or 4 gears and drum brakes and such, Ford got it right the first time. The “vibe” and “special magic” make it superior to modern cars.

It’s ok to like something just because you are a brand enthusiast or a vintage stuff enthusiast, but it’s good to be honest with ourselves too… you’re just playing what you like, we can leave it at that.

Johnny Alien

Silver Supporting Member
It’s ok to like something just because you are a brand enthusiast or a vintage stuff enthusiast, but it’s good to be honest with ourselves too… you’re just playing what you like, we can leave it at that.

If the hyper fans can apply this sentiment back to PRS as well then I agree 100%.

webcat

Yes, I think it would be akin to not only driving a 1960s Mustang but also boasting that it’s superior to today’s muscle cars because cars were more hand made back then, because the feel of its 200hp really takes you back, and even though it has only 3 or 4 gears and drum brakes and such, Ford got it right the first time. The “vibe” and “special magic” make it superior to modern cars.

The comparison doesn’t hold up. Cars have changed a huge amount - my neighbour has a 12 year old car and aside from the design of it, it could be new. Remember seeing rust-bucket cars, and not seeing them anymore?

Performance, safety, fuel efficiency, reliability, entertainment features, assistance features like cruise control and ABS brakes and speed limiter and power steering - cars have genuinely evolved to new levels. Classic cars are sufficiently different to their modern counterparts as well. Base design notwithstanding, it’s evident Ford didn’t get it right the first time.

None of this is true with guitars. There have been improvements but none that would be considered revolutionary. They’re tweaking designs to make tuning a little better, give a bit more tonal variety, accommodate player preferences. Fundamentally a guitar from the 50s is very similar to a guitar that left the factory yesterday.

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Platinum Supporting Member
No. The greatest tele ever is below. From The Wrecking Crew era of recording history.

Tommy Tedesco's "Stradavarious" Tele used on several hundred top 40 hits and albums, thousands of other recordings and film scores, jingles---you name it. The most recorded guitar in history. He was a a fantastic reader and could nail a film score in one or two takes.

This guitar was so versatile and his style so developed, no one realized it was the same instrument on so many recordings. He wasn't precious about it, and put his cigarettes out on it from time to time.

When it was newer:

I love the old three barrel bridges and bridge plates, but I do like modern features like SS frets, SSC (no noise), compensated saddles, compound radius, and fantastic QC. My Suhr.

I like PRS guitars and own a few, but don't see this as anything (if produced as shown) but a PRS Tele shaped guitar.

MusicWannabe

I thought Harley Benton made the best teles? :dunno
Now that' s funny !

I had been messin around in guitars for years, before I had to have a Tele. Normally , I'd say Fender Am Pro II ... But considering what it costs today ...(and my limited uses for it)

So I copped a Harley Benton TE 52 ... Cheap ($220 delivered from Germany)

Roasted Maple Neck (smooth as a Babybooty... with well finished fret ends)

Beautiful (North American Ash ) Heavy ... But sounds as "Tele" as you'd want it to sound ... (See "Shane in the Blues" You Tube comparo to a Original Series Fender Tele @ $2,100.00)

So now, I wonder why I'd spend $1800 on "the real thing" ... considering the HB virtually covers it at a fraction of the cost ... Yeah ... nowhere near the cache ... (or correct headstock shape) ... But ...

If you want a Tele, you need to get a Tele. Not an "improved" Tele.
Or a good Tele clone ... like the one mentioned above ...

MusicWannabe

The Silver Sky was a story of a legitimately great instrument filled with many small improvements and a consistency of build quality that only PRS delivers out there on the market. You certainly pay for it in the Maryland-made PRSes, but it can't be denied.
Hey ... I like my PRS Kool Aid as much as the next guy...

But the Silver Sky being a better Strat than a top Fender model ???

I don't seriously think either the Core or SE versions have slowed Fender's sales ... of Strat types ...

And the better questions is , will PRS even still be making the Silver Sky, 10 years from now ? ... (or will Mayer still be playing one , instead of a Fender model)

bterry

Funny how some headstock shapes will totally turn me off from a guitar.
Not that I like to admit it, but when paying these prices for instruments, aesthetics are important to me.

Why do you not like to admit it? It’s hugely important to all musicians that they vibe with their instrument.

If you don’t like how it looks, that’s legit.

dcburn

Silver Supporting Member
Why do you not like to admit it? It’s hugely important to all musicians that they vibe with their instrument.

If you don’t like how it looks, that’s legit.
Sometimes I feel I can be a little picky or weird when it comes to subtleties...

morlll

I partially agree. I don't have a PRS "Strat" and would never call it that. It's a Silver Sky. However, I did have a Squier Stratocaster, it even said so on the headstock. And yes, I know that Squier is owned by Fender, but they aren't Fender.

What's your take on using "S type" or "T type"? I think we all can agree that there is a buttload of companies making guitars that are described that way. If the title on this thread would've said "Is PRS going to release the greatest T type ever?", would that have made any difference?
How about a telecaster knock off. "Nice Tele copy". Everyone will be ripping off Fender for ever. offset=strat singlecut= L.P. Sem-hollow = ES series. Is a Heritage 535 200 better than a 335. Beautiful guitar but not a Gibson. Check the resale pricing.

Squire is a Fender, they own the name. They don't call a single cut PRS a L.P. type PRS. The first guitar PRS made was a L.P. Junior knock off. It was on the cover of Vintage Guitar. Has he made anything original? Joking aside PRS makes beautiful Louis the XIV guitars. They play as well as anything at that price point. They also sound fine.

Now that Fender owns Gretsch why don't they make a Broadcaster?

Whatever makes you happy, but you know better than a calling a 3X3 tuner pointy headed PRS will never be a tele. ;)

bluegrif

Funny how some headstock shapes will totally turn me off from a guitar.
Not that I like to admit it, but when paying these prices for instruments, aesthetics are important to me.
And why not? Way back when I was in my college photography course, I needed a better camera and sought the advice of a professional photographer I knew. He told me that all the major brands will do the job, and if I like the color of a button better on one than the other, that’s reason enough to choose a Canon over a Nikon or whatever.

Aesthetics are a perfectly valid reason to choose one model over another, all else being comparable. I like the PRS headstock. I think it’s one of the very best non-50s style headstocks out there. But there’s not a damn thing wrong with someone not liking it. It’s your money.

lostpick

Silver Supporting Member
I don't agree with any of this. What has PRS improved over any other builder? And build quality? Have you ever played a Suhr or Anderson or Grosh or (I can go on for about three days with Strat builders who kill it with quality)?

In fact, with PRS you're completely limited to one build. No neck carve options, pickups, radius, nothing. Here's your one guitar; hope you like it. And a handful of finishes too.

54GT

Gold Supporting Member
I’m not a PRS fan (have bought 4 over the years, only keeper has been a vela) so I’ll state that right away

I am a big tele fan and have a bunch ranging from GVCG to Koll to Squier Protone. A PRS that plays and sounds like a good Tele actually seems the opposite of what my experience of PRS has been. I don’t care much for strats so the fact they made one many appear to like doesn’t surprise me.

Would I try one to see if my preconception is wrong, sure. I’d be stunned if I thought they made oneworth buying. But that’s why they play the game

Trending Topics

Top Bottom