Is Randy Rhoads overpraised?

Is Randy Rhoads overpraised?

• Total voters

WildRanger

Randy was undeniably a very talented guitarist and I really dig his guitar work on the first two Ozzy solo albums, but I think he simply didn't put out enough material to be considered one of the best guitarists ever. I also think his early death pumped his legacy and fame up big time as is the case with many rock musicians who died young.
I don't consider him to be musically very innovative either (unlike Blackmore or Eddie Van Halen). In my view, he doesn't deserve all that huge hype and blind praise and worship as a guitar god.

Do you find him overpraised or not?
Discuss.

WildRanger

Okay, I'll take the Troll bait.

Your homework assignment is to go learn to play "Mr. Crowley" and write an acoustic number as simple and beautiful as "Dee" and report back to us.
Great guitar work in both tunes, but it's not enough to make him a guitar god or one of the greatest guitarist ever.

somecafone

Your points are not invalid, but your conclusions are overly dismissive.

First, Randy was featured on three albums with Ozzy, not two.
Other live recordings (King Biscuit, etc) speak to his talent as well.

In private (and now public) cynical moments, I’ve said for years “death is a great career move.”
Singers and musicians - huge legends and others less so - often see posthumous sales bumps.
Early death - Hendrix, Morrison, Cobain - does lead to an inevitable near-deification of the departed.
It helps when no one has ever seen The Doors at a county fair.

As to innovation, that depends.
For players of a certain age, of which I am one, he was the first to introduce classical themes into heavy music.
I’m sure people will chime in with any number of 70s players who “did it first.”
But I came up learning Wheel In The Sky, not Highway Star/Roundabout/Roth-era Scorpions.

JK1965

His playing great on those records and at times astounding. He took it in a more classical direction and had the chops to do it. Who knows where he would have gone from there and how he'd be viewed now had he lived on. He was most definitely at the top of the A list at the time he was with Ozzy in the eyes of guitar loving fans.

Last edited:

TheMindful

Forgive them Lord, they know not what they say...

Ask anyone about his impact when he hit the scene that was there. He was the first to come out and be at EVH's level of technical mastery of the guitar, but there was really no competition between the two because he had a unique sound and approach. He constructed leads in a mature and very melodic way that pretty much no guitarists in rock were doing, not even EVH.

Listening to to the track, Diary of a Madman, with all of its extended chords, time signature changes and arrangements, it's easy to see how innovative his stuff was, especially for its time. We easily take that for granted now since Randy was just at the start of an era of over the top guitar. He still stands the test of time because he simply is one of the most musical guitarists to ever be considered a "shredder".

Also his tone was fantastic.

Last edited:

somecafone

Mother, please, forgive them. For they know not what they do.

Ask anyone about his impact when he hit the scene that was there. He was the first to come out and be at EVH's level of technical mastery of the guitar, but there was really no competition between the two because he had a unique sound and approach. He constructed leads in a mature and very melodic way that pretty much no guitarists in rock were doing, not even EVH.

Also his tone was fantastic.
FIFY
:D

FuzzyAce

He deserves whatever accolades people are willing to give? if that happens to be more than you think it should be, don't blame Randy or make light of his talent. What is sad is his career was cut short... sometimes that opens up more interest in where maybe casual listeners become more aware and appreciate the legacy they've left us.

1967SG

Randy was undeniably a very talented guitarist and I really dig his guitar work on the first two Ozzy solo albums, but I think he simply didn't put out enough material to be considered one of the best guitarists ever. I also think his early death pumped his legacy and fame up big time as is the case with many rock musicians who died young.
I don't consider him to be musically very innovative either (unlike Blackmore or Eddie Van Halen). In my view, he doesn't deserve all that huge hype and blind praise and worship as a guitar god.

Do you find him overpraised or not?
Discuss.
I saw him once with Ozzy - sublime and deserves his place in history. I recent heard the first Quiet Riot with him on it. Terrible - lol.

TheMindful

There's a sincerity in his playing, you can feel conviction in the notes he's playing, the rest of the shredders, by and large, you just feel like you're watching a fireworks display put on for the sake of it, and not necessarily an extension of their own being. But Randy could compose a solo that dazzled you, had singable melodies and just always felt so carefully thought out

Also don't forget the man was so humble, he never wanted to stop honing his craft and probably would be the first to back down the high praises he has received. On the Diary tour, he arranged private lessons with classical guitar instructors in each city. He died at 25 and wanted to keep studying, keep refining, keep evolving. He would've just gotten better and better. After Sabbath made me pick up a guitar, Randy made me want to become a master. A role model dedicated to the craft and not just the pursuit of fame.

Astronaut FX

A couple of key points to remember that sort of help tip the scales in his favor:

• He wasn’t really a Sabbath fan, and to some degree had to be coaxed into the gig with Ozzy in the first place.
  • Ozzy himself was essentially chemically checked out during the writing and recording of the material on Blizzard.
  • And yet Randy still pulled off the maturity in his playing, and his role in writing and arranging to achieve what are still to this day considered staple albums within the genre.
  • And he truly was one of the earliest and most proficient to pull in a very healthy does of classical influence into his playing.

Trending Topics