Is repainting a guitar a easy job?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Dizzie, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Dizzie

Dizzie Member

I have a translucent blue ash strat copy that I am considering getting refinished in a nitro 2-tone sunburst. I'm not doing it myself but getting a pro.

Before I shop around, I just want to get some knowledge on the matter so is this a fairly easy job to strip off the blue and repaint? I just wonder if there's a possibility that they need sand off the top layer of wood or anything drastic like that.

thanks

2. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

Simple answer is no.It is not an easy job and you would be better off buying one of the aftremarket bodies that are offered.

3. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

I typically spend 10 hours refinishing a body. Depending on the existing paint, it usually takes an additional 2-3 hours to strip the existing finish. That's a lot of time for what most painters charge. Of course I spend a lot more time on a re-paint than most painters.

Fwiw,

Larry

Oh yeah, for a truly pro job, it is not easy!!!

4. vanborgen

vanborgen Member

I would second the no. If you were going to an opaque finish like red or white or black, it would be somewhat easier, but the body will need to be stripped very well. Also, the sunburst finish requires skill, and will probably cost extra. I'd also consider getting a already finished body.....

5. frankthomson

frankthomson Member

for what you would pay for a strip/repaint by a pro, you can prob get a new high quality body for less

(and if that was stained blue, the point is moot)

6. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Paid alot - around $400- to refinish a strat body. Should have bought a new one.

7. erikm5150

erikm5150 Member

no, it is not easy! stripping the existing paint on a guitar is a real PITA.

8. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

FWIW I've looked into this a bit, and I don't think it's too hard for the most part (I'm pretty good at working on stuff). The hard part is that it is a whole alot of work. Alot of work. 10hrs to refinish? I don't doubt it.

9. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

I said "I'm pretty good at working on stuff" back in 1980 when I refinished a 1970 Thinline Tele.My first .I thought it looked great until I took it in to trade it several years later.The man in the store immediatly spotted it as a amatuer refinish.
    Finish work may look fairly easy but believe me,it's an art and takes the proper equipment for a pro looking job.If you don't have the proper equipment that 10 hours can turn into 20 real easy and still not look as good.

10. Caretaker

Caretaker Supporting Member

getting the old paint(poly?) off is a REAL PITA. If it is stain, the body will have to be wood bleached several times.another PITA. Then, the refin in nitro. Burst takes skill. I have done 3 Les Pauls. It`s NOT easy at all.

11. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

The painting is the easy part....:D

It's all the work preparing the body for painting that's the PITA...;)

12. paintguy

Yeah!!!! Pulling the trigger is no big deal. It's getting to that point and the finishing work that really matters. I typically can spend 2-4 hours just on the colorsanding and rubbing out of the finish after it's been painted. And I have all the top of the line guns, sanders, polishers etc.....:NUTS :crazy
    [​IMG]
    Heres one I just finshed. Redwood body with a custom kandy color and a copper pearl burst. From some angles the burst completely disappears.

13. paintguy

Heres another angle of the same guitar.What burst?????
    [​IMG]

14. paintguy

and yet another angle of the same guitar
    [​IMG]

15. paintguy

There were 3 at different stages at the time of this pic.
    [​IMG]

16. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Supporting Member

Paintguy, you obviously do excellent work and your attention to detail shows.

My only observation (for Dizzy) is that solid colors are much easier to do than stains or sunbursts. I've often gotten guitars sprayed by auto body and/or motorcycle shops (assuming they are Fender style with detachable necks), with excellent results. It's even cheaper if their painting a car in a color you'd like on your guitar !

17. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Didn't Fender use some car paint in the early days for certain solid colors?

18. paintguy

Thank-you sir!!!!

It means a lot to hear that from a respected person like yourself.:AOK

19. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Supporting Member

It wouldn't surprise me. A quality finish likely doesn't care what it's sprayed on....Once a guitar body is sealed after sanding, I would think it wouldn;t matter at all.

20. paintguy

A ton of guitar colors and finishes are automotive paint. Have been for years.:D

My store sells paint and clear to at least 7-8 very well known guitar custom shops. Automotive paint and clear also costs 3-10x what industrial poly or wood finishes usually cost.

When the custom wood guys want the best, they buy automotive.