Is reverb unnecessary at gigs?

zeffbeff

I have several shows coming up. I'll be playing in a trio format.

For reference, I don't use reverb as an effect. Meaning, I don't do that huge giant cathedral droning sixteenth quarter note thing which is sorta en vogue these days.

I'm hesitant to use a reverb pedal at my shows. One of the shows is outdoors, in fact. I'm thinking that reverb would muddy up my guitar, or make it distant, especially when I kick on the distortion.

I have an Ibanez analog delay which I'll use heavily, for clean sections and solos.

So, should I employ a reverb pedal or not?

slider

Only good for certain contexts. Reverb, and sometimes delay, is the enemy of funk. The little spaces where there's no sound, that helps the funk. Reverb eliminates those spaces. Might be good for a ballad or something.

Polynitro

yeah no. Use a touch of delay or slapback
unless youre playing surf or some kind of ambient thing verb aint needed anymore than any other effect
unless youre jim compalingo

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
If the amp itself I playing un-mic'd a very light touch of reverb can be nice - if its on the amp - but is not necessary. Outdoor gigs, very large venues, mic'd gigs - don't want it there at all.

Leave it at home - no one but you will ever know one way or the other, believe me.

Epic

I have several shows coming up. I'll be playing in a trio format.

For reference, I don't use reverb as an effect. Meaning, I don't do that huge giant cathedral droning sixteenth quarter note thing which is sorta en vogue these days.

I'm hesitant to use a reverb pedal at my shows. One of the shows is outdoors, in fact. I'm thinking that reverb would muddy up my guitar, or make it distant, especially when I kick on the distortion.

I have an Ibanez analog delay which I'll use heavily, for clean sections and solos.

So, should I employ a reverb pedal or not?
I generally only use reverb in the studio. In a live scenario I will only use it if it's a cover song and I'm recreating a rich texture that's more reminiscent of a "pad" than a traditional guitar tone.

vintagelove

Depends completely on the room.

You'll want it when you are in a dead room, in a nice hall it's unnecessary.

Better to bring it just incase.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
Depends on the song...you don't paint every picture with the same colors. I never leave any effect on all the time...just when needed. Sometimes less is more ;).

bsacamano

The gig itself is "unnecessary" in the strictest sense of the word. That being said, play with the reverb. If you like it, keep using it. If you don't like it, stop using it.

Multicellular

I love reverb, I have actual spring reverb units, probably 8 different paid VSTs, a rack unit.

But no, I don't usually use any 'always on' reverb live, even small clubs have plenty. Unless it is a remarkably dead room, I turn it off on the amp.

I do use it for, ya know, special effects, not subtle stuff, or when I want a part to sound washed out, etc. But I often use delay for that instead anyway, even where I might instead use a reverb in the studio.

jackson

Good question, because a lot of players use it, and don't need it. When you play by yourself, it usually makes the guitar sound better, so we tend to keep it on for gigs. But, when you're playing live with other people, it can tend to contribute to the overall sound in a bad way. Of course, there are exceptions. It depends on how you want the band to sound. A lot of my favorite recordings have little or no reverb, and it really makes for a clean overall sound.

guitarmook

I haven't used reverb on a guitar (amp or pedal) in YEARS.

That's what works for me. I know others that use reverb pretty regularly.

Is it necessary? No.

jetydosa

Gold Supporting Member
It depends on whether you want to sound like the kids "shredding" in Guitar Center or not. :D

Trending Topics