Is Rock Music Doomed? - BBC podcast

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by klapaucjusz1, Sep 20, 2019.

1. klapaucjusz1

klapaucjusz1 Member

I know this topic has been done to death here, but I heard this podcast on BBC and I thought it was worth a listen:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3csytgj

Not revelationary by any means, but I enjoyed it. I especially liked the second interviewee, talking about the economic side of making rock music vs. for example hiphop.

EDIT: Just to make clear, it was not my intention to lament the "death of rock music" or to pit rock music against hiphop music. My view is that there is a LOT of great music being made today in many, many various genres, including rock. I don't think rock music will die, it will exist in one form or another, but it will probably not be the "dominant form" of popular music anymore, as it used to be. And if it does "die" (whatever that means), I'm sure there will be other interesting things to listen to. I'm not even such a big rock music fan myself.

I just thought the podcast might be an interesting listen.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  2. Zandalf

Zandalf I don't remember

Yeah - I heard about the 2nd half of that show on the radio a couple of nights ago. The one thing that stuck out for me was how they stated how ANYONE can make a rap "song". All you need is an iPhone. You download some "beats", and you're on your way!.... But recording rock music is expensive and you need a bunch of skills... Pretty much sums up where it's all at. But maybe the Chinese will get some AI to make all of us in the west some new (& cheap!) rock "music".... problem solved!

3. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I think I would be totally bored making rap/hiphop music.I like a challenge. Rock is dead. It died in the 90's when nothing new was coming to the table that people had interest in. ANd now anything new? Sounds like a rehash of some other tune in the past. If you don't hear or realize that, more power to you. You can still be entertained.

4. teleman1

Human beings gravitate to the easiest lowest common denominator. RAP & Hip hop show that with a simple pulsating beat, most of the populace is easily amused.

5. GulfportBound

GulfportBound Member

Rock began committing suicide when it decided a) dancers (and, sorry, but headbanging is not dancing) no longer counted for anything, and b) the show mattered first and foremost.

6. bugzapper

bugzapper Member

It's not all about the pop charts.

I, for one, resolve to make some rock music today.

Anybody with me?

7. Jay Will

Jay Will Member

Nope, there will always be someone to listen to it.

Coalface1971 and ak301 like this.
  8. klapaucjusz1

klapaucjusz1 Member

Personally I think it does take skill to make good hiphop music - both to create good, interesting beats, and to rap in a way that doesn't sound lame/amateurish. I am not a big fan of hiphop, but there are many hiphop songs I like and I appreciate the talent of the artists who created them.

9. tnvol

tnvol Ufologist Silver Supporting Member

They have been saying this for so long when is it finally going to die?

10. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Yep, the very same pulsating beat that rock music had been amusing people with for years.

Jimmy_Rage, Vintage_, spiral and 5 others like this.
  11. klapaucjusz1

klapaucjusz1 Member

This Aerosmith/RUN DMC video was totally staged.

12. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Rock music's enjoyed more than a good run at this point.

13. teleman1

I admit there is some artistic sense in the lyrics and there are talented people in the field. But exactly how many interesting beats are there? I am sure that filed is exhausted where there are not any new beats.

Zandalf likes this.
  14. McQuade

McQuade Member

We all are doomed. Not just rock music. Have a nice day!

mikefair, muku, Zandalf and 17 others like this.
  15. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

When I was reading some Robert Quine articles the other day, he said: rock died in 1961!
    that made me laugh....everything post 1961 is post-mortem rock!!!

16. klapaucjusz1

klapaucjusz1 Member

Well, I respectfully disagree. I think the possibilities for creating interesting new beats (beats being just... music behind the rapping/singing) are endless and hiphop producers have proven themselves to be very resourceful and inventive. But hey, If you see it differently I'm ok with that too ;-)

17. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

All studio-produced videos are staged. But the point wasn't the video, anyway.

Suggesting that the field is exhausted when there are no new beats is like saying rock is exhausted when there are no new chords.

C-4, Sleepyscholar, Thedude99 and 5 others like this.
  18. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

There's just music - choose your favorite flavor. Each flavor has its followers and they keep going in their respective niches. So the concept of 'rock being dead' doesn't mean much to me at all. If rock being dead means no more selling out three nights in a row huge arenas for colossal acts like 'back in the day' - well yeah - that's dead - but who cares about that?

19. sws1

sws1 Member

I hear new rock music all the time. Like ALL the time.

Not being on Z100 does not mean it's dead.

20. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

I was making instrumental guitar rock with a single drum machine, a rack effects unit and my guitars back in the 1990s. Now it's a lot more complicated.

But yeah, the big issue is the top 20 is populated by music created by the same swedish guy who has a drum machine, synths, and a rotating cast of singers where he writes the tunes and the singer sings it and then he does the next hugely successful tune. "Dr. Luke" actually played guitar in the Saturday Night Live band for
    10 years but now he does this and he's hugely impossibly successful using a very minimalist inexpensive setup.