Is Rush more appealing and accessible than other classic prog rock bands?

No_Stairway

ELP had some varied and long lived radio sucess with Lucky Man and Karn Evil 9, I find ELP, Genesis and King Crimson all appeal to my taste more so than Rush. Yes borders more on the sometimes catchy sometimes proggy spectrum like rush.

Alister

Supporting Member
Purely anecdotal (and just as immune to larger meanings), but I've never known a Jethro Tull fan who was also a Rush fan. The reverse is harder for me to speculate about.

Benz2112

Supporting Member
The first two records are really accessible, and then the whole Permanent Waves/SIgnals/Moving Pictures phase is kind of their popular peak. Caress of Steel/2112/Hemispheres is the only period that is kind of that typical long form proggy records.

ArtDecade

Pop rock?

That's the first time I have ever heard Rush as being called pop. I suppose it's relative, but certainly not something I have ever heard anyone say
You can hear them on popular format rock stations all the time. Once they hit the mainstream, they wrote more singles to stay in the hunt.

pbenn2112

Is Rush music more appealing and accessible than other classic prog rock bands as King Crimson, Genesis, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, Camel and if so, why? What makes them more appealing to the wider public?
I would say that they have a bigger following than those prog bands and they sold more records during their prog phase. Many people don't have to be progheads to be big Rush fans.

What do you think?
I also noticed there is a big overplap between Rush and Van Halen fans. Isn't it surprising to you?
I don’t know that I would say Rush is a prog band. Yes, they have prog tendencies and prog moments but I’ve always thought of them as a band with good rock songs that were a bit more complicated than most. When I think of prog, I think of Yes, Genesis, etc.

Denzil Dexter

I like Rush but the production and SQ on many of there albums in the later years was bloody awful imo.
That goes for both CDs and LPs.
Live shows SQ wasn’t much better.
As for accessible and more appealing than the bands listed above No some big hitters on that list.

Last edited:

Beto

Supporting Member
I have never been a person who knows tons of people, but every person that I have ever met who was into progressive metal liked Rush. The same about many fans of heavy metal. More than once I've seen Rush regarded as the fathers of prog metal - which is quite fair IMO.

wye

Yes, that is exactly the problem with rush, please do not compare them to early Yes, King Crimson and Jethro Tull, which are quite cool...different league...the reason Rush are more „accessible“ is simply that they are not particularly art rock and quite corny, which relates to much more people especially the white suburban (metal) kid who does not care at all for arts....more video game, horrible colors and dungeons, kind of restricted childish taste...

Last edited:

ucsteve

Ive heard it all before, since the late 70s. Which is where they left their high vocals and D&D fantasy lyrics they still seem to get chided for but, ya know. So then they are usually labled pretentious from then on. personally, I am really impressed when i look at the lyrical arc Peart left behind with his writing. Pretty remarkable story there. No 2 records are the same, and they gave us like 5 different live albums in the last 20 years. my favorite band ever. Just ask like every awesome rock or metal band from the 80s till about 2010, they will usually credit RUSH as a huge influence. RIP Professor

Beto

Supporting Member
Yes, that is exactly the problem with rush, please do not compare them to early Yes, King Crimson and Jethro Tull, which are quite cool...different league...the reason Rush are more „accessible“ is simply that they are not particularly art rock and quite corny, which relates to much more people especially the white suburban (metal) kid who does not care at all for arts....more video game, horrible colors and dungeons, kind of restricted childish taste...
TNRWLhu.gif

AZJim

I always considered Rush to be less accessible than the other Prog rock bands mostly due to the polarizing vocal delivery.

it seems to me that Yes and Jethro Tull are way more accessible bands than Rush has ever been.
Same here. Never got into them due to the vocals. Just not into the high pitched in your face approach. That combined with the great musicianship, just too...I dunno, too something, not my glass of beer.

tim gueguen

I think some of you don't realise how popular the big prog bands were. Yes has sold at least 13.5 million albums in the US. Emerson, Lake, and Palmer apparently sold 48 million records worldwide.

Whittlez

Rush gets proggy on many songs and album but CLEARLY also wrote straight ahead rock radio hits intended for airplay. Look at ‘Working Man’... it has a massive zeppelin type thing going , lyrics that could not appeal more to the blue collar zeitgeist ESPECIALLY considering it was released in the MIDDLE of the 73-75 recession

I mean seriously . I’m not saying it’s ‘pandering ‘ but it’s INCREDIBLY UNprog

it is STRAIGHT AHEAD power trio 70’s rock

with extremely accessibly unnuanced and powerful lyrics

rush - a pretty proggy band - became hugely successful because (largely ) of their NOT proggy songs eg Tom Sawyer - which is also classic. CLASSIC 70’s arena rock

Joe Bleaux

Purely anecdotal (and just as immune to larger meanings), but I've never known a Jethro Tull fan who was also a Rush fan. The reverse is harder for me to speculate about.
I'm a huge Tull fan and also a huge Rush fan, as were most of my best buds in High School back in the early 80s.

OTOH, it's highly unlikely that we know each other, so I guess that doesn't really count as evidence against your post...

Alister

Supporting Member
I'm a huge Tull fan and also a huge Rush fan, as were most of my best buds in High School back in the early 80s.

OTOH, it's highly unlikely that we know each other, so I guess that doesn't really count as evidence against your post...
I'm an old fart and one of the original Tull fanatics, ca. 1970, so you're probably right.

Trending Topics