Is sound-on-sound recording possible with Logic Pro X?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by micycle, Jun 1, 2015.

1. micycle

micycle Member

I've been using Sonar forever (and Cakewalk before that) primarily on desktop computers and lately have been migrating over into the portable Macbook world. I've been using Logic as my primary DAW - I love the all-inclusiveness of it and lack of need for 3rd party plugins.. so far, at least. I seem to be able to accomplish what I need to with built-in drums/amps.

In Sonar I could record audio on a track and then overdub on top of that on the same track and be able to hear both parts during recording and playback. I like to overlap takes in chunks sometimes and blend them together that way. Is this not possible in Logic or am I just not reading or searching for the right lingo? Seems like it does separate takes but you can only hear one at a time.

I've used Sonar for so long perhaps what I'm looking to accomplish is referred to as something else.. From what I understand you can do it with MIDI but not audio.. is that correct?

2. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Dunno the answer but I'm curious why you're looking to use the same track.

3. micycle

micycle Member

I do a lot of stream of consciousness-type of composing and in Sonar developed a habit of doing one passage, or riff, stopping, and stacking the next passage over it but starting a bar or two early to sort of get into the flow (and crossfade things together if need be) vs. a hard punch-in start. Probably not the greatest habit but it's what I got used to doing, especially with solo acoustic tunes. It's a big time saver and keeps things moving vs. having to create a new track for each chunk and then bounce it all down into one.

4. newb3fan

newb3fan Member

I'm kinda with aleclee on why you're looking to do this. You can record an idea in a region. Have a click track to keep time (or the metronome). Slide regions all around. Keep recording new phrases on different tracks. Mute stuff on/off, etc. Would seem to me to be more flexible this way. But maybe I don't understand how you can get a different and preferred outcome and prefer your "go to" method.

5. dougb415

dougb415 Member

If I understand what you're looking for, you want to do multiple takes on the same track. Yes, you can do that in Logic, then you can "comp" (compile) various parts of each take into one take.

6. micycle

micycle Member

Yes, that! BUT - I want to be able to hear the recorded track and what's being recorded at the same time. Seems like the only option from my experience so far is to hear what's being recorded.

7. aleclee

Duplicate track. Reset cursor. Hit Record.

It's a couple more clicks but unless you're doing it a dozen times in a take, I dunno if I'd consider it a huge time saver.

8. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

Agree with aleclee. This also allows you to go back and modify the different "layers" to further experiment with the music, since they are separate tracks.

9. aleclee

And really, you only need to create a second track and go back and forth between them

10. cyclops

cyclops Member

Yes, this can be easily done. Logic provides a cycle mode that plays back everything underneath. See the following article from Apple: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH13386?locale=en_US. Look for 'Create Tracks when Cycling'. This will play all of the previously recorded audio when cycle recording.

Doing some Fripp-tronics type stuff? I've seen a couple of people use loopers to do this very successfully. I also remember seeing the lady who does 'Big Black Horse (and a Cherry Tree) use that technique live at an Apple event.

Good luck!

11. micycle

micycle Member

Oooooooh?? So it was some non-standard jargon I was overlooking...? Does this work for audio or just MIDI (it's audio that I'm looking to do this with)? I see it's in the MIDI bullet list, hopefully it applies to audio too.

It's mainly a habit I got into with recording guitar takes, especially my solo fingerstyle acoustic guitar pieces - it's just there and in your face as an option in Sonar and it became the default setting in my recording/composing routine. But yes, when I don't want to bust out my Boomerang III and Sidecar board I do tend to get Frippy and loop and layer 4-8 bar passages (good call!)

12. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

While I see what you are trying to accomplish, sometimes it is just better to learn the new way and forget the old way. I was used to punching in with a foot pedal, but with Protools I quickly learned how to highlight the areas I wanted to re-do and let the computer punch me in. There was a learning curve, but it was worth the time it took.

By learning to quickly create a new track you don't have to move your mic or guitar input or change any settings, but you can start recording "over" the first track right away. Here is another way to accomplish this that would make it very easy once it is set up;

Figure out a way to initially record to two tracks simultaneously (you would have to do this with some kind of "buss" or send setting, but even a Y-cord would work) - then record both tracks. In your case you can have them both panned to the center. Then when ready for track 2, just take one track out of record and leave the other recording. Track 1 will play back and you will have a second identical track for recording the new track. The end result will be exactly the same as your "sound on sound" but you will maintain more control.

13. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

up through Logic Pro9, it always applied to audio, too, so..... should also do in LogicX.

14. micycle

micycle Member

Didn't get a chance to look last night after work but hopefully will tonight. Thanks for the suggestions, y'all!