Is soundhole pickup better than built in body style on cheaper guitar?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by XXTwighlight, Mar 1, 2012.

1. XXTwighlight

XXTwighlight Supporting Member

I was looking into a Carvin acoustic. I currently own a Dean rosewood Supreme with a Fishman classic 4 preamp. It sounds kinda thuddy. (compared to the Taylor 314ce expression system guitar I currently have...but will be selling)

So would a non-electric acoustic with a decent soundhole pickup be a better choice over a cheaper Fishman preamp which also takes up valuable acoustic tonal space i assume?

What is a decent model soundhole p'up?

I'm an electric player guyz, so bear with me on the ignorant acoustic questions.
    Thanx
    - robert

2. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

The Carvin won't be as nice as your Taylor. The 314, like the Larrivee 3 series is a great guitar for not too much money. I play pretty much evenly split between blues, hawaiian, and celtic just so you know where I'm coming from soundwise. I hate "barn door" electornics in the side of a nice guitar. the only mod I want done is drilling out the endpin for a jack. So for me I would either go with under saddle piezo, or a soundhole. and I MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer soundhole. It's all personal taste.

Lots of choices out there. The Baggs are a nice combination of performance vs. cost. Plenty always available on EBay. Oh, in all honesty I must share my pickup philosophy. They're all Rubish! So don't try to find "the best" or the perfect match to your style, etc. Get a decent one. Learn to get a decent sound out of it. The bestest newestest one, will be outdated by the next NAMM show. Don't sweat it. Get a decent one. Learn to make it work.

3. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Some of the best amplified acoustic tones I have heard (this side of good mic) are from the Fishman Rare Earth soundhole pickup.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

sage advice!

my old gibson J-50 has had half-a dozen pickup systems in it over the years, and because none of them required "barn-door" holes in the side, i have never been stuck with last year's model.

(acoustic pickups are not like electric pickups, which "produce" their own sound and were basically perfected by 1957. they're more like PA and recording gear, where every year they get a little closer to sounding like the real thing they're reproducing.)

5. english_bob

english_bob Member

I had to get myself a plug-in-able acoustic on a budget a while ago. I hate the piezo sound and can't be bothered with all the knobs and switches on a "barn door" unit anyway, so I opted for a cheap Yamaha acoustic with a Baggs M1a. I'm happy enough with the acoustic sound and the amplified sound is pretty darn good. If I find myself in a position to upgrade later, I'll keep the pickup and stick it in a nicer guitar, just put a spare endpin in the Yamaha.

If I was in the same position again, I'd do exactly what I did before.

6. Pickaxe

Pickaxe Member

I'm with english bob. I'm using an M1A with great results and plan to move it to my next favorite acoustic when the time comes.

7. mannish

mannish Member

I like the Fishman Rare Earth pickups - mine are about 10 years old so don't know how they are now. If it comes down to unders addle vs sound hole I'll go s hole every time

Depends on what you are doing - I may use a fishman SH over one of my guitars with the western miniothis weekend just for the change up

8. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

soundholes have a less "acoustic" sound than others, but they're bulletproof at high volume. the baggs version attempts to sneak some "acousticness" back in via a suspended coil that picks up some top vibration. (they're a hit on big stages with guys fronting loud bands with acoustic guitars.)

the dimarzio Angel also sounds really good; no mechanical tricks involved, just a carefully tuned coil to respond in a more pleasing way.

9. russintexas

russintexas Member

Especially with a budget guitar, you want as much of your budget going into the wood as possible, rather than splitting your money between the wood and the wires.

I'd take a sound hole pup any day.

10. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

I really love the Sunrise system with the preamp and also use the L.R. Baggs M1a and Fishman Rare earth pickups in various acoustic guitars with great results!

11. tamader74

tamader74 Supporting Member

I've a Fishman rare earth AND a a LR Bagga Element setting in my music room, that will probably sit there until I come around to selling them, Drilling threw the Top or boring a hole on a Fine guitar is the same as the "Barn door" to me, I've a Tacoma DM-16ce that is basically my "Gigger", campfire, let novice players use. I've a Tacoma DF-21 (Full body) that if it don't sell, I'm going to buy one of the "New" end-pin jacks that require No drilling/boring, and will Install a K&K western OR a D-Tar in it. My Martin will stay acoustic, and my Yamaha LLX16, I love the A.R.T. system and it being a Non-cutaway 'git. So, I guess if you like the Instrument and it's not a high $$$ 'git, The "Barn door" electronics are the best way to go, If not, a sound hole p-up is the best way to go....Just don't expect a "Close to real acoustic tone"...Thats only going to come with a quality Instrument mic. on a stand directed to/at the soundhole itself.