Is Sprague the ONLY electrolytic?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by pfrischmann, Oct 13, 2006.

1. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Hi guys,
    I'm about to recap an amp. I've read that american caps are the ONLY caps. Is there really that much difference between Sparague and Xicon or Illinois?

Gerald Weber mentions that A good deal of overseas made caps will cause out of tune bass notes.

Is it true?

Is it sprague or nothing?

2. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

I've used spragues and I've used the smaller ones. I don't hear any difference, however, I do use the big caps on the power supply if it's a bigger amp 50 watts & over or like on a Deluxe Reverb where it's really kickin' it voltage wise.

I've even used the small ones from Weber with very good luck. The smaller caps allow more room inside the chassis and with modern technology I don't see why you wouldn't use them. Also, they're cheaper to purchase.

Me I like both and use the small ones quite a bit.

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    For the $1 or $2 you save, why wonder? Just get the Spragues.

4. Leftee

Leftee Guest

I've had fine performance from non-Spragues. In my expereince, "A good deal of overseas made caps will cause out of tune bass notes" is not a correct statement at all.

5. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

It's more about availibility than cost. It would take about 4 sources to get all the values I need, or I can go to the local electronics shop and get Xicons (correct value and voltage of course).

6. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

The overseas caps may have had a problem WAY BACK WHEN but like all thing in this new global economy they had to get their stuff together and IMO they have.

7. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

I can't say personally, but in Gerald Weber's books he mentions the Illinois caps specifically and says they "Sound Horrible" (his words, not mine)... he also mentions that although they are named "illinois", they are actually made in Taiwan or Malaysia or somewhere.

I'm with Mike... why concern yourself with a couple dollars... get what you know is best.

8. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Mouser or Antique Electronics don't have all the values you need?

9. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

For the record, I believe Naylor amps use Illinois and they sound amazing.

10. Leftee

Leftee Guest

I've used Illinois caps before with good results. Certainly "A good deal of overseas made caps will cause out of tune bass notes." was not the case. Never had a bad one. Some of the amps I've used these in have been running for a couple years now and sound fine.

11. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

I've been inside some 2 & 3K high gain amps and they were loaded with Illinois and Xicon, they also sounded great.

The Srague Atoms are now made by Vishay.

12. Swarty

Swarty Member

I believe all US electrolytics, regardless of brand are from United Chemicon.

13. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

Just because GWeber says something is good doesn't mean it's fact. I'd take Ted Weber word first and I own a Kendrick amp! For what it's worth my Hoffman amp, made by Doug Hoffman has the smaller caps in it and it's killer!!

14. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Mouser didn't have some of the stuff in stock and honestly, their site is a little scary to navigate.

forgot about antique.

Just to clarify, GW said the overseas stuff can cause more ripple current which can cause out of tune sub harmonics on low notes.

15. jetlag

jetlag Member

I've had some problems with older Illinois caps that were in an amp when I bought them - meaning they replaced the original 50's caps in the 90's with these and they had problems. No problems with Xicon nor with full sized spragues. I use the Xicons when space/mounting is an issue. Otherwise, I'm with Bluestrat on "why save a couple $$$ and wonder?"

16. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

So spragues are undeniably the best? (within reason)

17. rooster

rooster Member

I usually test my caps on a Sencore Z-meter before I install them. This is a piece of bench gear that not only lets me read capacitance at voltage (up to 600VDC), but leakage current as well. I have noticed no more leakage current off a Xicon electrolytic than a Sprague electrolytic. Having said that, for some applications, I only use Sprague electrolytics, but Xicon's work fine in many applications. Also, as far as film caps go, I HAVE noticed a difference in that paper-in-oil caps have almost no leakage current. But, I've also noticed that Illinois polyester caps have a great sound compared to orange drops, hovlands, or any high-end cap. I think the one that sounds the best is the way to pick the series caps, and the filter caps should be judged on ripple current. FWIW, JJ multi-cap cans work very well in the leakage (or lack thereof) aspect.

rooster.

18. Tonebender

Tonebender Supporting Member

What about the Mallory electrolytics that Komet uses? Anyone know who sells them?

19. conundrum

conundrum Member

Well, since vishay owns Mallory now too, I would hazard a guess that maybe they are just relabled spragues.

20. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Mouser sure wants a lot more for the Mallory's

I can't find 220uf @ 350v anywhere (except as an overseas cap)