Is storing cab in garage o.k., cold?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Zero, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Zero

Zero Member

I live in the cold part up here and am thinking of storing my cabs in someones garage in between gigs. Is there any risk of damage? Can the cold hurt the speakers?

Probably a dumb question but I had to ask.

2. KazJY

KazJY Member

at the least, you'd want them to warm back up before playing through them. I know a DJ who pulls speakers from his van in winter and sets up for the gig... that is just crazy.

Not sure what the condensation would do while they were warming up though.

3. bosstone

bosstone Member

I would worry about the dampness. Any damp metal will corrode and damp speaker cones are more susceptible to damage if played hard.

4. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

I put my cabs along with an skb rack in one of those rented storage units with the coiled doors and concrete floors for a winter. I just left them there as I wasn't even playing at the time. All the steel hardware on my rack rusted. I think I had my cabs wrapped up though. But I'd be worried about the speakers wicking up the moisture too. I wouldn't recommend it, especially if you're going in and out of the cold on a regular basis.

5. Custom50

Custom50 Member

I've done it before, just make sure to leave it warm up when you take it back in. I left mine unplugged for a few days to warm back up. That may be a little extreme but I didn't wanna bust up my speakers, and I'm sure you don't want to either.

6. loudboy

loudboy Member

I've kept my PA in my garage year-round, for probably 20 years. Speakers, FX racks and amps.

Never had a problem. That's the general consensus amongst PA guys, don't see why guitar amps are any different.

Loudboy

7. Zero

Zero Member

huh. those weren't the answers I was expecting. dampness isn't a problem this time of year but in the spring/summer could very well be.

i tend to baby my stuff beyond reason so doing this, thinking about doing it is a struggle. a garage! where gasoline and motor oil abound! car exhaust fumes! rodents and insects!

8. Flux

Flux Member

Cold won't hurt gear, but moisture will. I have a '66 Ampeg that spent many years in a Canadian garage. It's in great shape because it was covered and kept dry.

9. Dendog

Dendog Member

Same here. Never a single problem. The guitars come inside though.

10. bluesy

bluesy Supporting Member

All things expand when heated and contract when frozen. I'd be worried about the differing rates of expansion and contraction of all the dis-similar materials in the garage stored components. Potential for a lot of things to happen- all bad. Did you know (this is fact) that the Mackinaw bridge is 6 feet different in length between the coldest part of the winter and the hottest part of the summer? While that example is extreme, think of all the solder joints and components getting bigger and smaller many times over.... something will eventually give...
    On the other hand, water is one item that actually expands when frozen- up to 6% of it's volume; thus out pot-holed roads here in MI.

11. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

As the temperature drops, moisture will come out of the air. You could throw in some type of desiccant to absorb the moisture, but I don't know how much you would need.

12. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

If it's done slowly, it probably won't be a problem. The problem would be moisture dropping out of the air.

Oh, also, if the air is very dry when you pack it in a SKB case, that might help.

13. Dendog

Dendog Member

The air is pretty dry in the winter here in NH. Never had a problem.

14. CudBucket

CudBucket Member

Six feet?

15. bosstone

bosstone Member

Putting the cabs in a garbage bag leaf bag (even bigger) would cure the moisture problem. If you were to bring it inside. Wait a while to see if condensation forms on the bag. If so, wait until it has evaporated before opening the bag. Otherwise the condensation would form on the amp.

16. Zero

Zero Member

Last night I left this old 12" speaker I have outside, so it got nice and cold then brought it in and immediately exposed it to hot air from a vent to warm it quickly. I just wanted to see what, if anything would show, like condensation but there was nothing. Of course it wasn't enclosed in a cabinet, it was just a raw speaker.

So I don't know what to think. If I had road cases for the cabs i wouldn't be worried as much but I only have vinyl (Marshall) covers.

17. bluesy

bluesy Supporting Member

It was discussed at length in a Metallurgy class taken years ago. The bridge components, of which there are many, their tolerances, expansion joints, etc. allow for the give and take over the length of the structure. The materials in the bridge are similar- their rates of expansion/contraction similar. A guitar finish "checks" due to the finish expanding/contracting at a different rate than the "wood". Something's gotta give eventually. I have a 60 LP special that has no finish checking (original finish) It's never been exposed to wide temperature swings.
    Think of the dis-similar materials in an amp, speaker cab, or other electronic items and all their different rates of expansion and contraction. Leaving stuff in the cold is just asking for a potential problem. Really.

18. dcooper830

dcooper830 Member

I baby all my gear. I never leave my stuff out in the cold.

19. mlongano

mlongano Member

Boy if there was ever a reason to buy new gear, this thread is it. :eek:

20. itgoesto11uc

itgoesto11uc Member

Anything metal left in my garage rusts. Condensation forms on the metal due to temperature and humidity swings eventually resulting in rust. I do not expose my gear to those conditions.