• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

is strymon still the best shimmer option?

teefus

tried a strymon bluesky and it was nice. also tried a t c trinity and a hardwire supernatural pedal. the trinity was the better of those 2. anything else out there that sounds good for ambient washes, etc?

NHBluesMan

not really a fan of shimmer, but the 80s verb on my flint is my go-to for ambient wash sounds.

Walrus just released a new reverb that looks designed for this, but if you're looking for cheap one of the BEST sounding ambient reverbs is... the Boss RV5 set to modulate. Seriously kills is

Geosh

3 of the best IMO
Neubaber Stereo Wet
Mr. Black Eterna
Mr. Black Supermoon (no shimmer, but a killer mod)

Then there is always the Big Sky...

I was never a fan of the Blue Sky. It always had too much effect to it and didn't sit well in the mix for me.

Last edited:

la noise

The Line 6 Octo setting on the M5/9/13 is pretty darn cool shimmer. Nice control of parameters.

AudioEcstasy

Shimmer is a cool, spacey sound (think the Edge of U2). I'm about to pick up a Verbzilla for just that option...

crxshdxmmy

OP: There are several different types of "shimmer" out there.

The way Eventide does it is not like the way Strymon or Neunaber does it. Boss and Line 6 and Empress and Mr. Black all do it differently, too.

So which one is "best" is really up to which interpretation you like. There are benefits to each. Really depends on what you want.

teefus

shimmer is a harmonized reverb made famous by the edge. it's a very ambient, washy effect that can be nice in certain contexts. i am not really concerned with how the effect is made to work, i.e., is it a harmonized reverb, or chorused, etc. just looking for options like the strymon bluesky. thanks top all that responded. the mr black and neunaber look like interesting options.

Top Bottom