1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is Super Hard-on buffered?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MikeSelmer, Dec 15, 2005.

1. MikeSelmer

MikeSelmer Member

Hi all! Simply: is ZVEX SHO buffered? Secondly, does it buffer the signal even when it's off? I might want to put a buffer in front of my pedalboard. Thanks!
    MIKE

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Yes and yes. One of the big advantages to Zacharie's stuff is the killer buffer they all have...

3. Franklin

Franklin Member

I thought the SHO was true bypass, which would mean it's not buffered.

4. Marcus Dahl

Marcus Dahl Member

No... The SHO is not buffered. It is true-bypass.

5. gushtone

gushtone Silver Supporting Member

Yup, alll ZVex pedals are True Bypass and therefore, not buffered.
    Peace...

6. drbob1

Umm, I'm not sure about that. When I was researching it I was sure Zachary said the buffer was in place on or off. I'll double check...

7. BrianB

BrianB Member

Another vote for true bypass. It can act as a buffer with the crackle okay knob all the way down. It colors the tone a little it's not in a bad way.

8. Marcus Dahl

Marcus Dahl Member

I know for positive that it is not buffered. I've had it in hand and taken it apart for a repair. It's true-bypass.

9. Franklin

Franklin Member

It is a buffer while on though, I use it at the very end of the chain to bump up the input to the amp. I can't always turn up to my '65 DRRI's break up point, so I use the SHO to get me to break-up earlier.

Many people also use it at the front of their signal chain as a buffer too.

10. Marcus Dahl

Marcus Dahl Member

Correct. It can be used as a buffer. Or as an clean or dirty boost. Be carefull with it. It can blow the front end of your amp. It has a lot of output.

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Maybe a dumb question, but aren't ALL pedals (maybe vol pedals and loopers excepted) "buffered when on" ?

I may be missing something, but when on, they are active circuits, so they have to present SOME input impedence to the signal coming in, and have to create an output impedance of some kind on the way out, right?

12. Marcus Dahl

Marcus Dahl Member

I really don't think of them like that. Mainly cause if you take a look at your ts9s and the like, they have an input transistor and output transistor buffer before entering the op-amp for when they are on. (Not looking at when they are off.) Your Dis+ doesn't, and really the SHO doesn't. That's why I said it can be used as one.

13. MikeSelmer

MikeSelmer Member

Now you all got me even more confused! :eek::)

14. Marcus Dahl

Marcus Dahl Member

What are you confused about? :cool:

The SHO isn't buffered on or off. It isn't a buffer. It can be used as a buffer, clean boost, or dirty boost. :BEER

15. drbob1

I read up on it, I was confused by Zachary's discussion of the very high input impedance. Let's define buffer here. Isn't a buffering pedal something that has a very high input impedance (so it doesn't load down the guitar pickups) and a very low output impedance (so it in turn won't be loaded down by the subsequent pedals/cables)? If so, despite the fact that the SHO doesn't contain an op-amp buffering circuit, it IS a buffer when turned on?

16. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Basically, a buffer is a unity gain (same level in and out) amplifier. As any amplifier stage, it is designed to have a reasonably high input impedance (so as to not load down whatever is driving it) and a significantly lower output impedance (to better drive whatever is following it).

When set to unity gain, the SHO will do this job very well, and since it has a higher-than-normal input impedance, it will (when placed first in the chain) let your passive guitar pickups sparkle a bit more than with your average input stage/buffer. Of course, as soon as you turn the pedal off, it will no longer function as a buffer (since it is true bypass).

However, in regards to guitar fx, the word "buffered" usually indicates an effect that has an input buffer stage that is permanently in the signal path, regardless of the pedal's bypass state (Boss/Ibanez-type pedals, for instance). The SHO is true bypass, as mentioned above, and thus is not buffered. As for any other Zvex pedals having great buffers, all of them are true bypass (so they aren't buffered), but they may have well-designed input stages. In any case, they are not buffered in the commonly used sense of the word.

As Marcus put it - the SHO isn't buffered, but can be used as a buffer (among other things).

/Andreas

jnam likes this.
  17. Marcus Dahl

Marcus Dahl Member

Thank you!!!!:BEER:dude:BEER

18. Shea

Shea Member

If that's how guitarists are using the term "buffered," then they're using it as shorthand for "buffered switching."

Assuming the commonly-used sense means buffered switching. But they could still have input buffers and/or output buffers in them.

Shea

19. drbob1

Well put and thank you. Apparently the SHO, the Super Duper and the Lo-Fi are the only ones with the super high input impedance.

20. MikeSelmer

MikeSelmer Member

Ah, I see, Great reply...I got it know, thanks!