Is Tap tempo Important?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Leb, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Leb

Leb Member

Hey guys,
    i was wondering how useful is tap tempo esp for phasers and tremolos?
    WHich are the products that support tap tempo?
    THanks

Leb

2. Kezend

Kezend Member

tap tempo in tremolo is important i think, more so than a phaser. the tremolo needs to kinda fit in with the drums, although can sound kinda cool opposed to the beat. whatever floats ur boat. the cusack tapawhirl is tap tempo, and i heard its easily one of the best.

phasers....the boss ph3 is tap tempo. but i find that phaser only good in the fx loop, mixed with the original signal, cause its far too thick. i prefer just a 2 speed phaser, like the SIB fazeadelic. cant wait for the toneczar halophaze though, its gonna end my search for a multifunction phaser. i like one speed quite slow and in the back of the signal, and one fast and mixed more in.

3. iggs

iggs Member

Tap tampo is a great feature but (for me) quite impractical live. That's why I got the Red Witch Pentavocal Trem which does not have tap tempo but sounds great. We play pretty heavy and are all over the stage during shows so it would be a mad scramble for me to have to tap tempo every time I need to turn the tremolo on, during a song. Even if I set the tempo at the start of the song, half way through it the tempo is off due to subtle variation of the "live" tempo the drummer is dictating anyway. However, I find my Memory Lane tap tempo is quite useful because the delay repeats are not as noticable as heavy tremolo settings and I can set different ones at the start of the song.

4. iggs

iggs Member

5. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

The ratio function mentioned above is invaluable.

As far as setting up the trem speed, either way, for any given song you'll need to set the rate. Tap it or turn the dial to a given mark. It could be on, or off depending on how good your band's rhythm section is. I prefer tap tempo.

=>Waiting for my Empress Trm to Arrive.

Also to me, phase is just a modulation effect like chorus more than a time based effect (although you can hear the oscillation). I personally don't worry with timing here but set it to get the swirl and depth of phase that I want to hear. Phaser with Trem is killer.

6. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

I think Tap Tempo is a really good feature for Tremolo, phasers, etc. Of course I think that, because I build Tap Tempo effects. I do, however, also think that it is OK for these effects to not be Tap Tempo. In some cases you don't want the tempo the same as the song. Tap Tempo doesn't hurt in these cases, since you can just tap off tempo to get the speed you want, or in the case of my pedals, you can hold the Tap switch, and allow the tempo to slow down (or speed up) to the tempo you want, and then let go.

Another helpful feature is the ability to "reset" the waveform. If you are using a slower tempo, and the tempo is only off by a little bit, you can hit the Tap Tempo button a single time, and the waveform starts back at the beginning without changing the tempo. This is a feature I originally implemented in the Zvex Tap Tempo Mod, and it carries over into all Tap Tempo products I make.

Ratio is important too. I added a mod to the Tap-A-Whirl to allow ratios of 1/2:1 through 4:1. 1/2:1 is great for really slow tempo, since its the slow tempos that are difficult to tap correctly.

Jon

7. KRosser

KRosser Member

People have been playing with tremolo since the 40's (?) and phasers since the 60's (?) and the lack of tap tempo, or the fact that the pulse of the effects were often not the same as the pulse of the music, never seemed to bother anyone much before...

I'm not saying tap tempo is bad; I'm just saying it's not a necessity or deal-breaker for me

8. iggs

iggs Member

Hey Jon,

LOVE the Screamer Fuzz!!!

Just wondering when are you going to start shipping the updated Tap-A-Whirl. I get my pedals from Scott from axeandyoushallreceive.com ... are you sending him any new ones soon?

9. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

All Tap-A-Whirls shipped since about two weeks ago have this change. I have been shipping them with a jumper to select which parameter the option knob adjust. There is an optional external switch that allows you to select the parameters on the fly, if you need that. Otherwise, you can use the jumper to program each parameter, and save them for each waveform.

I don't think Scott has any of the new ones yet, although I can make the change to ANY exsisting Tap-A-Whirl.

I'll have more info soon. I'm trying to update the users manual to include all the details.

Jon

10. david henman

david henman Member

...for delay, i couldn't live without it.

i would LOVE to have a trem pedal with tap tempo, and will, as soon as i can afford one.

-dh

11. Tapp

Tapp Member

I'm spoiled with the expression pedal for my Line6 MM4.

Tapp

12. Antero

Antero Member

Tap tempo is cool, but I honestly don't think it's very useful - if you think about it, even if your drummer is mechanically precise, a tiny offset is going to multiply fast enough that in 30 seconds or a minute or whatever you'll be off again...

13. polifemo

polifemo Member

A must for delays, tremolos and vibes!

14. david henman

david henman Member

...meaning that, WITHOUT tap tempo, you'd have no way to correct the problem.

IF you have to be THAT precise.

-dh

15. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

Not important in my application of effects. I like randomness though.

David

16. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I mainly got rid of my tremolo because it did not have a tap tempo. I've had my delay for about 7 or 8 months, and only now am I seeing the benefits of delays not in sync with the tempo. (the delay has tap tempo)

I did not have the patience to do this with my trem pedal.

17. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Like I said above, it's just as useful as trying to set the "rate" with the dial. 30 seconds, your off either way. With the Cusack you had get back "on rhythm".

Now in the studio and recording, that's a whole different situation. Usually your playing to a click track and never get off beat. But who uses a trem. in the studio these days. Just go into Pro Tools, add your plugin set the tempo and note or beat of the trem effect, and whalah. Plus you can adjust depth, rate, rhythm, etc. etc. of the trem effect itself after the fact.

Sorry to get off topic.

18. Leb

Leb Member

Thanks guys for the valuable comments :D keep it coming.
    I usually play for church so i need to have flexibility in my setup without having to always bend down to change the speed.
    I have a DL4 and it has tap tempo.
    But for my phaser and tremolo, i was looking at the red witch one.
    But it doesnt have the tap tempo.
    Any suggestions for a tap tempo phaser and tremolo tt is as good as the red witch?

Leb

19. msp

msp Member

isn't that the entire reason for tap tempo? :jo

20. abuloso

abuloso Member

The statement above only applies to tap tempo for tremolos and phasers or anything that is oscillating.

But if you're using delays, it will be no problem at all since the tiny offset will not get multiplied... Every note that's played gets delayed by the same delay time. Which means each note gets "a fresh start".

The drummers at my church all play with a metronome anyway...so tap tempo is great. I have an Empress Tremolo and the tap button averages over 4 taps according to the manual... However I haven't check it out extensively yet.

In my experience, tap tempo is as accurate as can be even for live application. I've experimented this by looking at the flashing red LED on Line6 delays and my DLS EchoTap....At the end of every song, they still flash in time with the drums.... But once again, I stress that for delays...you dont have to be that accurate.

Rock On!