Is TGP the most active online guitar forum/community?

Think we have more active members than MyLesPaul, certainly rigtalk, strat-talk, tdpri....

grailtone had 300 members online at once.... six years ago.

Who else is in the running?

Pedal Dan

The Island of Misfit Pedals
oh, can't forget ultimate-guitar...

What happened to HC? did they get bought out by some corp or did they go down the drain all of their own accord?
A lot of people say it was the software...
Too slow.

But to me, it just seemed like a bunch of 7th graders questioning each other’s sexuality.

It just became boring.

M138

100% Fenriz Approved
In terms of frequency of posts, across all sub-forums, I would wager TGP tops any other forum of its ilk.

scelerat

Silver Supporting Member
What happened to HC? did they get bought out by some corp or did they go down the drain all of their own accord?
They're owned by Gibson (yes, that Gibson) of all things.

A long time ago (I'm talking > 15 years ago) Harmony Central had a super strong forum and vast database of user reviews. The quality of any particular review was spotty at best, but as a whole it represented a vast compendium of information on guitar gear, especially guitars and amplifiers.

Musicians Friend bought it in 2005. They killed the user reviews and changed the forum software almost immediately. Some time later they brought back the reviews in a much less useful format. It's been so long that I forget all the details, but I remember being singularly agog at how badly they understood HC as it had existed and how royally they screwed that golden pooch.

Last edited:

Trending Topics