Is the 11R for me?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Michael_V, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

I have a Matchless Baby 6W amp and a Pedaltrain Pro full of pedals and tones I love. I have spent years getting the sound I want. But there are times when a silent stage is required, and it would be nice to be able to practice at non-deafening volumes or even through headphones, playing along with mp3s.

I am a stickler for tone.

I do not plan to record.

I do not plan to use a foot-controller.

When at home, I would scroll through amp models and fool around, but live I would run my pedalboard into a single tweaked amp model (probably Matchless, LOL) and then go directly to house.

I do not want to spend a lot of money.

Is the 11R what I'm looking for?

2. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

It has all the features you describe. After that it comes down to how well you like the sound you are getting out of it, and only you can decide that through trial and error. They are pretty cheap right now on the used market because of people dumping the ones with PT8. Since you don't care about the PT aspects of things, you might do well to buy one of those. Just be sure to ask the right questions if you buy a used one: does it have the clock problem being the most important.

3. Michael_V

Thanks! What other questions should I ask? There's only one expansion pack, right? Just out of curiosity, what's the latest version of PT? Fair price?

4. strumminsix

strumminsix Member

I had one, and overall thought it was a great tool just not for what I needed.

While using, I thought the amp models were solid but I missed my pedals. So I hooked the two up together and that was nice but it was alot to lug around. Then squeezed space on my board for a Sansamp T21 Cali and that was my solution for "silent stage" or any situation I go direct.

5. Michael_V

I play a lot at home in front of the computer. Lessons and practicing songs. So the headphone option, with computer out mixed in, on the 11R is attractive.

6. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Your needs and wants mirror my own very closely, Mike, and the 11R is turning out to be the perfect solution for me.

...and my favorite live amp in the 11R is the Matchless DC30, (with my pedalboard in front, just like an amp), so we have that in common as well. :)

7. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

Go over to the elevenrackpresets.com site & just start looking around and reading through the back catalog of great threads......So many questions have been asked and answered over there that it might really help you out......Plus there are a lot of sound samples, video links & much, much more........I think there are a few for sale over there as well.........Oh...& the amount of User created FREE Rigs is jaw dropping too.....but you would need Pro-Tools loaded onto ur PC to be able to load these into ur 11-Rack.....That is a very important thing to know 1st........

The nice thing for you Michael is that you have SO much to draw from & look at & listen too......With the 11R being out for 2-years there are a lot of user videos, songs & sound clips floating around the intraweb thingy.....The things that people love & hate about this product are well documented too......

Good luck in ur search & getting ur questioned answered.....

Peace! X-Mann

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  8. Michael_V

Thanks for all the useful replies, guys! I admit, I am intrigued by the 11R!

9. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

If you're "not" going to load Protools you'll loose the editor. Which, if you like twisting knobs is no big problem. Then you have two ways to go;
    * Buying one with the update loaded or
    * Buying one without the update. (still rocks)
    I don't know if you can load the update without loading Protools. X-Mann probably knows.
    Mine works, so I haven't loaded the update.
    * If you want the editor and money is no object then the AXE is the way to go.
    * If money is an object but you want the editor then the HD-500 would probably be better.
    * If you just need one sound and your pedals, I'd absolutely look at the Tech 21 pedals. You can get a direct box for forty dollars if you need to run Lo-Z direct. You save 300 to 2500 dollars.

10. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I should add that I bought an HD300 before the 11R and sold it before getting the 11R because I just didn't care for it at all. The tone, and more importantly the feel, wasn't in the same ballpark, IMO...not even close. The HD "felt" like a modeler, where the 11R feels like a good tube amp to me.

11. Michael_V

I don't mind twisting knobs and don't plan to do a lot of tweaking anyway. My ideal pedal has one knob, LOL! My amp has Master, Tone, and Volume. :) But I assume I can save any changes I do make on the 11R as a preset without using an editor. Is this correct?

12. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

The 11Rack would be perfect for you, OP. And, yes, you can load the expansion without loading ProTools. You should be able to find a used 11R for around $500, perhaps less if it doesn't come with Pro Tools. The front panel interface is one of the best things about the 11Rack. I spent the first few weeks I owned it loading presets from the site X-Mann mentioned, but after that I just stuck to the front panel. I only used about 7 different patches and it was easy to make tweaks because you can configure the front panel to give you access to the most commonly used "amp" controls without having to go into any editing menus and the controls from engaging/disengaging everything in the effects chain all have dedicated buttons right on the front of the unit.
    -
    Austin

13. Michael_V

Thanks for the input, RGB. I had the original bean Pod, used to use a Pod XT Live on occasion, and tried an HD500 last year. There were some good tones in there to be sure, but one of them felt quite right to me, either.

14. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

I would say this...never say never. It's real possible you'll find more than one amp model that you like. I mean it's definitely possible...so then you have to figure out how to get to it from the other preset but if it's one per tune you're good to go, just twist the knob.

Anway...YMMV! Good luck.

15. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

I think this post says a lot......& answers some key questions......

You do lose a lot in my mind (not yours) by not needing or using it w/ Pro-Tools......but at least you know ALL of this before you even get started w/ the Eleven Rack....& THAT is key......."Knowledge is Power" (G.I. Joe)

If you feel that you will never need, use & or load Pro-Tools......You can get an even better deal.....DO NOT let the person you buy a used unit from know this though.......In fact.....Say that you want to use it w/ PT & find a used 11R where the person does not have the transfer of ownership card, cd's & talk them down into one heck of a great deal for you.......lol

Only buy a unit that already has the expansion pack installed too.......The EXP made the 11R SO much better amp & cab wise......Plus then you won't need to even worry about that.......Most 11R's will aready have this....fwiw

The only problem that I can see you having is this: You just LOVE the Eleven Rack SO much that you want to record or load user Rigs down the road.......& without a working copy of PT you just can't do it.....

but only YOU know what you want & need..........I think these guys have given you as much info as possible.......

It does sound to me that it will do everything that you need & more......but I always believe in playing things 1st for myself to know for sure........

Again......Good luck......

X

16. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

X makes a lot of sense! :) I did the transfer form thing and it was a bit of a pain, but eventually I managed to get it to work...or they did, anyway. As for PT, I installed PT 8 on my old Mac and the editor worked fine. I downloaded a bunch of user presets right away and soon discovered that most of them were just good starting points and almost none of them worked "out of the box" for my stuff. So, rather than fire up the computer to tweak, I just used the front panel to fix a handful of favorite patches to my liking and haven't used the editor since. I haven't recorded it yet either, but I'm sure impressed by guys like X-Mann who use it to record great tones...and some hilarious video, (which, if we ask nice, maybe X will post some links to his YT videos, which are really great)!

17. OutterLimits

OutterLimits Gold Supporting Member

Do a search on Ebay, there are always used 11Rs on there for sale ... but $500 is a little on the low side, they are all closer to $600. Which is a great deal BTW.

You will end up with an AC30 type preset, but you will also enjoy the other amp models ... how can you NOT use a Bogner if it is sitting there?!? LOL

18. birdie_in_texas

birdie_in_texas I can haz virgins? Silver Supporting Member

19. Space Firebird

Space Firebird Member

+1 on getting the expansion pack, you are going to want the additional amps.
    And there's nothing wrong with taking a day and getting protools loaded, even if you don't plan to use it for anything besides editing the 11R.
    It is a LOT easier to see what you are doing when editing the box from a computer screen.

20. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

Thx Big R....Thx!!!!!

I feel the same way about the Artist Rigs that you can only get (wink...wink) through buying from that other on-line music place....

I thought that these Rigs would ALL be stellar.....& while they are very good for the most part.....There are already better Rigs made by everyday users.......The Steve Stevens Rigs were great for me (as I am a HUGE fan)......But I think I just wanted to see how a PRO (Stevens, Zaza) sets up his siganture sound on a digital Rig for the most part.....Like the Zaza "I'm Alright" Rig.......That is why I wanted to see these Rigs......I use 2-of these Rigs out of the whole bunch for the most part.....

That said.......I've had to tweak almost every Rig (of others) in some way to get them to work for me (& my guitars)......& because the 11R is pretty simple you can get great tones very fast......& just play....& play
    & play & play......

Hit the link below & you can get to all of my (weird/Funny) 11R videos.......& there is a new one in the works........Sometimes it's good to see what User "X" can do w/ an 11R & a cheap, plaid electric guitar (plus it's just plain fun too).......:eek:

Back to the point.....Go into the 11R w/ the right thought process & understand what it can & can't do 1st & then all you are left w/ is the tone question.......Does it get the amp tones that you need to make music? or the ones that you need.

For the record I played through my friend Jim's Axe-2 last week & I LOVED IT!!!!!! The core amp tones are as good as the 11R in my (little) mind....It's just that the Axe has SO many more of them....& the over-all FX amount is the exact same way (Jaw Dropping)........The quality of what is in the 11R is just top notch........& it's simple.......These two units are great for totally different reasons......

So many ways to go for the modern guitar player today........:drool

Peace! X

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012