Is the 50's Gibson neck THAT much bigger than the 60's?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jimmyohio75, Jan 22, 2012.

1. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

I have owned 4 Gibson Les Pauls. All have had the slim 60's neck profile. I am not very familiar with the Gibson 50's profile. How much fatter is the 50's? Is it a huge difference? Does anyone play both profiles without any problems?

I am thinking about buying a 50's Tribute with humbuckers but I'm afraid I won't be able to get used to the neck.

I know what you're gonna tell me....."go play some 50's and see if you like it". yeah, that's easy enough but I'm looking for stories from people that have had the same quandry. What did you do?

2. romo

romo Supporting Member

I'm not sure I have ever played a slim 60's Gibson neck, but I do have a 50's profile Les Paul standard, and a 57 RI Les Paul Jr. The Jr's neck is MUCH bigger than the LP standard. I don't think the Gibson USA 50's necks are particularly chunky.

3. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

It's a bigger difference in the custom shop Models. I have a 60's neck Standard faded and I like it because it helps make up for the weight and lack of upper fret access. Before I bought it in November I tried it next to a Traditional plus (50's neck) and it wasn't a huge thickness difference but more of a shape difference to me. The 50's had a much rounder, fuller neck and seemed to fill out my hand more. The sixties is much flatter which I prefer on les Paul's (odd, considering I love huge, round necks on Strats).

4. jhvox

jhvox Member

I've had a 60's 335 and a Historic 58 LP. There is a definite difference in the necks. The 335 was very thin to me, I ended up selling it.

5. jfwund

jfwund Member

Generally, no. You'll find the biggest difference in the Custom Shop. The Historic LPs have the biggest necks, but the Gibson USA 50s and 60s neck aren't terribly different from each other. The 50s neck is bigger, but since the necks are all finished by hand, as I understand it, there's enough individual variation to where you can find examples of 50s that feel thinner and 60s that feel fatter. I know you don't want to be told to go play them, but they really are individual to the guitar.

This is based on owning a 50s neck studio and playing probably 20 LPs with 60s necks. The 50s is definitely thicker, but it's not an enormous difference.

6. goodwater

goodwater Member

yeah--not too much difference between the Gibson USA 50s and 60s but a HUGE difference when you get to the Historic stuff

7. schristie

schristie Supporting Member

On the Historic ones big yes...huge difference from R7 - R0

USA models, not as much...seems to me the 50's neck is a bit rounder and more natural...doesn't have that creepy feeling flat back/harder shoulders that the 60's neck has...IMO of course.

Dannyz likes this.
  8. sliberty

sliberty Member

As others have stated, the tribute necks are pretty close in size. I have both 50's and 60's necked Custom Shop guitars, and the difference is HUGE. But, I do play both, without problems. I prefer the 50's necks, but a nice 60's neck can be fun too.

9. RJLII

RJLII Member

Same thing with me. My 335 sounded great but had a toothpick neck compared to my Historic LPs. Looking for a fat neck version now.

10. beckerman

beckerman Member

I have a LP Classic (60' neck) and a LP Traditional Plus (50's), I think the difference is very significant. The Trad feels like a baseball bat in my hands compared to the Classic.

11. mfitz804

mfitz804 Member

In my experience there can be a significant size difference in two different models claiming to have a slim neck or a 50's neck...the sizes do not seem to be consistent across all of the models.

12. patentcad

patentcad Member

My (2011 model year) LP 2008 Standard (some call it a Standard Plus) has a tapered neck: 50's profile on the low E side, 60's on the high E side of the neck. I'm not real picky about this stuff, the guitar feels fine to me, but they all feel fine to me. I'd lean towards a slimmer neck more than a 50's baseball bat neck, but they all work for my hands.

13. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

Depends on the specific guitar in question. The Gibson necks vary quite a bit. I played a 2011 R7 GT at GC and the neck felt like a telephone pole... my own 2011 R7 GT feels much slimmer and way more comfortable, although on paper they are supposed to be the same neck.

Many dealers are actually posting measurements of the necks on their sites for the guitars they are selling. You can see how much the necks vary this way.

14. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

On the original Gibsons there was quite a difference between a '58/'59 neck profile as compareed to the '60 neck profile. However, on the '50's Tribute model I think I remember reading that they didn't use a 50's neck profile at all since most consumers prefer the smaller profile neck.

15. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

The difference between my SG Special with 59 neck and a 61 RI is absolutely substantial.

16. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

Yes, there can be a BIG difference on the USA models.

I've played some 60s necks that were anything but slim. It actually took me a long time to find a neck that I liked. It's a 60s neck. It still could only be considered slim when you compare it amoung Gibsons. I'd call it "average".

17. stratplexi

stratplexi Member

For the Gibson USA line guitars I have owned, the 50s neck is a little fuller and bigger than the 60s necks. I have not owned any of the historic guitars. I can play either profile with no problems but I prefer the 60s profile.

18. RSRD

RSRD Member

In a word HELLYAH

The difference between the neck on my old 54 oxblood versus the 60s neck on my historic RO was remarkable.

19. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Member

it's rounder like a Tele can be. I actually really like it and I normally like slimmer necks. As long as it's well set up a big neck can be a thing of beauty, stable and always in tune.