Is the '57 Classic the most underrated humbucker of all time?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Strat-cat, Nov 10, 2018.

1. cheetah77

cheetah77 Member

57s came stock in my ‘93 Lonnie Mack V and my ‘06 LPC ‘68 RI. In the V they sound killer, perfect balance between neck and bridge. I did replace the bridge with a 490R w/short A5, but not because the 57 lacked anything, I just prefer A5 in bridge pickups. The 57 neck pickup is probably the best neck pup I’ve owned.

In the LPC, neck is muddy, bridge is a bit thin and nasally, balance is poor, not a fan.

Both guitars have NOS Centralab 500k pots. Maybe it’s the guitars themselves, or maybe there’s some truth to the earlier 57s being better?

2. 98G2PRU

98G2PRU Member

Ironically, I just put a 57 Classic into the bridge on my R0 today. I have the originals in my R7 Custom as well. I have tried all manner of pups and after decades of swapping out 57s, I am going back to them. While the WCR Darkburst neck is still a personal favorite, I have learned that all these flavor of the month boutique pups have cost me more than a new R9 over the years, and I’ve now ended up right back where I started - with 57 Classics. Wish I would not have sold off all the sets I yanked out of my guitars.

3. 6789

6789 Member

If 57 Classics sound good to you, that’s all that matters. I didn’t like mine. They had a high end I didn’t like and not enough growl on the low end.

I’ve been happy since switching to Dimarzio 36th Anniversaries.

4. Synex7254

Synex7254 Member

+1. Seth Lovers are the best pickups I’ve used in a 335.

Whitecat likes this.