Is the amp everything?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BEACHBUM, Jun 2, 2012.

1. electron transl

electron transl Member

I will say this: I'm always amazed at what a huge difference new strings make. Just when I start to feel sorta "ho hum" about my rig, I put on a set of strings and start saying "Wow! What response, what chime, harmonics and articulation!"

That being said, there's a reason my amp costs significantly more than my most expensive guitar.

2. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Member

Absolutely. I can't tell you how many times I've picked up one of my guitars and for some reason it just isn't sounding right and then after messing with the truss rod and intonation it dawns on me that I'm way overdue for a string change. I feel like kicking myself every time I fall for that one. Another big one is choice of picks. I'm not saying that you can find your dream tone by changing picks but the wrong choice can certainly ensure that you don't. I'm at the point where I use three different picks depending on which of my guitars and what style I'm playing. It's just not a case of one size fits all.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  3. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Tonally yes but many amps sound very similar. When your talking overdrive which is most peoples forte in guitar amps its nothing more then the clipping of the signal. I think most guitarists like to dissect every little nuance to make it out like there are so many different varieties of tones where I believe most are very similar. That being said your fingers are are the number one ingredient IMO.

4. sanrico

sanrico Member

I normally would totally agree. However, I have an old EMG loaded Charvel that sounds like total crap through any amp I have ever tried it with.

5. harpinon

harpinon Member

It's about 80% IMHO :hiP

6. WayneM

WayneM Member

I always wonder when I see a player pays big bucks on guitars but refuse to spend money on a decent amp. I know, because (at one time early in my gear stage) I was one of them.

But then, I purchased (what I thought) a good sounding amp.
    It was a major tone event!
    It was the first time I received complements on my tone (many comments).

That does not mean that every inexpensive amp sounds bad (however a lot of cheap amps do sound "cheap").

7. supergenius365

supergenius365 Supporting Member

I just got a SFPR and all 7 of my guitars sound really good through it with little or no knob tweaking. I also have a Boogie IIC+,which I love, but is an effort to get each guitar to sound just right with it. Can't say that about the other 22 amps I have owned since 1986.

8. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

"Tonal imprint" indeed. The amplifier is the most important piece of gear in the sound chain.

9. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

Wait a minute.........are you saying Tone is in the Fingaz ??????

That's the topic of another thread. :)

10. simon_62

simon_62 Member

With the tones & styles I use, its about 50% amp, 40% guitar, 10% pedals... and thats if you discount the player! :)

11. big jilm

big jilm Member

Yep, the amp for me is the most important part of the gear mix.

12. SinkingShip

SinkingShip Member

would I be partly right saying the more gain you use ( pedal, pickup, preamp) the less the guitar tonal quality matters.......and the less gain you use the more the guitar natural tone is critical ?

For me the amp is huge, once my amp is in the "zone" all guitars and pedals just start to sound magic no matter what I do, and when one amp is not right....it all sounds $^%* not matter what I plug in and how well I play.

For me only one factor trumps all others completely in any rig ........TUNING !!! I would rather play a song in tune on the worst rig than out of tune on the best rig;)

13. wizard_23

wizard_23 Member

Mmmm.... Amps. I think about them more than guitar so they must be the most important part right? :huh

14. riff1006

riff1006 Supporting Member

I agree the amp carries more weight than the guitar from a tonal perspective. I've got a couple guitars I REALLY like and play them without guitar GAS but I want to play as many amps as I can just to experience them and see if they're any better than what I have.....and I have some pretty decent amps. I just always seem to have amp GAS.

15. vanguard

vanguard Member

yep. a great guitar is one that feels great more than anything. i worry mostly about having great amps AND great speakers; that's where the tone really happens.

amp/speakers: 90%
    guitar: 8%
    pedals: +/- 2% lol

16. woad_yurt

woad_yurt Member

I agree 100%!

17. mannish

mannish Member

NOPE, absolutely not IMHO & research. the source is the most important part of any audio chain. I once again refer to the old saying 'You can't shine a turd' you give the amp a turd to work with and all you got is a turd. Garbage in, garbage out. Audiophiles know all about the source, It's like having a high dollar audiophile system and using a technique turntable.

Bottom line the amp can only work with what you give it.

18. Braunzo

Braunzo Member

I get bored with amps. They're important, yes. When you have a good one (in my shoes) the guitar and effects are what makes the difference.