Is the Axe FX worth it and should I get one?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by METAL, Dec 5, 2017.

1. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Not at all.

RolandKorg likes this.
  2. Tonekat

Tonekat Member

I have an Ultra and my XL+ will arrive this week. I live in an apartment, and can get lovely feedback from my Ultra with ease and at a volume that won't get me evicted. And I live in a garden apartment that has thin walls and floors, not a high rise concrete box of drones (I make sure I live on the top floor so I don't hear anyone above me).

3. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

I am aware this is kind of OT Vs your main question, but amp simulation is one of those fields where the "zero latency monitoring" that all the sound cards have today is basically useless (it's a trick that's useful only when you are just recording an already "processed" sound. If the processing happens in sw, ZLM means nothing because the trick is not applicable.

In your case, the figure that matters is the so called "round trip latency", which might actually be quite high and roughly equals double the nominal latency (that's what you're hearing, plus the sw processing time). As you not(ic)ed, buffer size is not a universal solution.

You need a card performing a really low RT latency, such as the RMEs.
    I write this because buying an excellent audio card and excellent software (Helix?) would still cost less than a dedicated hw solution, if it's not in your style or you are on a budget.
    If you can, I'd strongly recommend you try and test the above-mentioned solution before investing elsewhere. Unless, of course, you want the hw anyway :)
    The latter will always sound and perform better than a generic computer based DAW IMO.

HTH :)

4. mattball826

mattball826 Member

AxeII is huge with Prog players because it gives that extra oooomph when they need it. AX8 is cool but more for minimalists.

5. MatchFive

MatchFive Silver Supporting Member

There's the AX8 for $1200 or the Line 6 Helix LT for $1000. I am biased but the Helix LT is awesome..

6. CapnRex

CapnRex Member

For your needs the AX8 would be very good.

Imma let the Line 6 and vst fans finish but AX/kemper have sounded the best to me. I did not like the helix plugin trial or the in-store tryout. Had s-gear and a few other amp sims and they also didn't do it for me. Had an Amplifire which was in the same ballpark as those. AX8 in the store sounded better at least. I have a kemper because IMO it's got the best raw tones, but I would be able to live with an AX8 from what I tried.

7. rkbrock

rkbrock Member

Whoa whoa. Before you spend more cash, whats going on that you are experiencing latency with that interface? I have a scarlett usb and have zero issues with latency. Am i very picky to it. Before you start spending big cash fix the current issue. Its likely not your interface but somewhere either in you computer (software or hardware) or user error. I was using vsts with a 7 year old pc with no issues.

That being said, i love my ultra and it has the best effects and amps so going axe fx is never a bad thing. But before you do make sure ur current stuff is running optimally. You might be surprised by the current vsts.

Elric, Tonekat and Watt McCo like this.
  8. Ni6htWalker

Ni6htWalker Member

for metal of course axefx going to sound better than VSTs,i own biasfx,amplitube,s gear and since i get my AX8 i just dont touch those plugins anymore,AX8 is a super fantastic unit.

9. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Didn't listen to the video, eh? I loved the AX8's sounds both times I owned it, but honestly...it didn't sound as good as either Thermionik or the Helix in this Mark IV comparison. And don't take that to be Line 6 fanboy-ism. Sometimes I've heard Thermionik sound way better than Helix in a direct comparison (I own both). I've heard TSE X50 V2 spank Thermionik and Helix for certain 5150 tones. For high gain sounds, there are a number of VSTs out today that can absolutely roll with all of the big dogs. @Guitarjon AKA Sonic Drive Studios has done a great series spotlighting a few of them. Check out that channel.

10. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Yes, high gain tones from some VST amp sims can be made to sound comparable to top tier modelers if a conscious effort is made to dial them in similarly and equalize differences in both.

11. mikah912

mikah912 Member

This is bad and/or disqualifying because......?

12. METAL

METAL Supporting Member

Because me personally, I’m tired of sitting there and have to tweak a bunch of things to make them sound decent. I want to be able to dial in an amazing tone easily. With VSTs, I find myself sitting there and turning a bunch of knobs and using 3rd party impulses and plugins to get good sound.

13. mikah912

mikah912 Member

I'd say get better VSTs, then. They're hardly a monolithic whole for quality. If you can't get a good metal tone with TSE X50 V2 set to typical 5150 settings (e.g. tube screamer on set as clean boost in front, B/M/T at 6/4/6) and ONE good IR, you would be the problem.

See here:

It's just as easy to get there with Thermionik or with Overloud TH3. Check the Sonic Drive Studios videos on each of those. Jon isn't using elaborate signal chains or IR combos to achieve those results.

A lot of this is confirmation bias. There is nothing inherently "digital" in any of the plugins I listed that isn't present with an Axe-FX. There're no audible aliasing artifacts or anything of the sort. Just preconceived notions.....

I mean, if you're going to tell me that everything in this video sounded "too digital" aside from the Axe-FX, then we just have no common language or conception on what good tone is:

14. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

These days, you can get most to sound great whether you put in IRs or just tweak to perfection. Some folks prefer to work in the software realm while others like a piece of physical hardware. I’d suggest that if you are playing live regularly, the hardware piece is important but even that is changing now adays....a friend of mine does his gigs with a laptop and interface these days and in all seriousness, it sounds great.

15. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

You can generally tweak a top tier modeler to match what many consider the best tones VST's are capable of, however VST's often have difficulty being tweaked to match what many consider the best tones produced by top tier modelers. A standard, run of the mill example is EVH's Brown Sound. Bias is a bit of an exception as it incorporates EQ matching natively.

16. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

You can make older modelers like the POD XT sound great, it's simply a matter of how much time and effort you want to spend doing it. For every example you can provide which purports to demonstrate how great a particular VST sounds(Helix Native excluded), I can likely provide 10 times as many examples from modelers a la the KPA and Axe FX.

17. Ni6htWalker

Ni6htWalker Member

to be honest i dont trust in videos anymore,i used to do that and i spend some money buying VST plugins,same with the AX8 i heard good and bad video reviews,when i get the AX8 i said to myself "if i dont like the AX8 im going to sell it"AX8 is the best money i had spent in my life(even that i love my fender strat)for the moment i have no plan to buying any plugin,only think im buying are IRs(im fuc**ng addict to buy guitar impulses;)

18. mikah912

mikah912 Member

I disagree, but this isn't arguable. Difficulty is in the eye of the beholder.

19. Ni6htWalker

Ni6htWalker Member

that`s right,guess what this guitar player use to record this song.

20. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Well, I also speak from firsthand experience having owned every product I speak of in this thread. For metal tones at home, VSTs are absolutely as capable as an Axe-FX (or Helix), but the OP has his experience and seems predisposed to an AX8, soooooo....he should go get one.

Ni6htWalker likes this.