Is the Axe FX worth it and should I get one?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by METAL, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Ni6htWalker

Ni6htWalker Member

get the AX8 bro you will love it,then get the York Audio or Ownhammer Heavy Hitters 2 cabs and you are all set.

2. Elric

Elric Member

This. Unless your computer is ancient, you should not have any detectable latency even with very middle of the road modern hardware.I was ballistic about latency when VSTs first hit the scene but for all intents and purposes it just doesn't exist anymore with current setups.

That said, I get tired of 'worth it' type questions. 'Worth' is entirely dependent on your value system and circumstances. $2K is a ton of money to some folks to others it is pretty much nothing. Also, some people care about tone/gear more than others; such that they are not willing to bear either the time cost (modelers generally require *much* more of it and some even moreso) or whatever the piece's dollar cost is compared to their overall financial burden.

I can say: "Yeah! The AxeFx so SO worth it! IMHO, not just you but everyone should get one!" ... and without you knowing my context you have no idea whether that is meaningful advice for you. All you know from that is that 'there is some dude who has one and claims on TGP not to regret it' but who knows what that means if I am claiming worth without clarifying what I value? I actually may not even love it that much but the difference between an XL+ and Helix LT might be total noise to me, financially and that affects my perception whereas to some other person it may be months of saving or a substantial cost relative to their bills.

Anyway, regardless, the AxeFx is SO worth it. Not only you should get one, but everyone else on this board should, too.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    rkbrock likes this.
  3. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

So is tonal quality, though I'd wager most users here would prefer the Kemper to most VST's as evidenced by the number of people who own and use one vs. VST's when given the choice. I mean, really, how many people can you think of that prefer Amplitube 4 to the KPA for high gain tones, for example? How many people can you think of who've sold their Kemper or Axe FX in order to use S-Gear exclusively, specifically for high gain tones? Do you think a modicum of people who use S-Gear or Amplitube would gladly forego using a Kemper or Axe FX instead if given the choice?

Ni6htWalker likes this.
  4. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Why is this binary? I use Helix and I use plugins. The one doesn't supplant the other. Some people have multiple top-tier hardware modelers too. No one has to choose. I use IRs from at least five makers who price their product very different and Helix stock cabs. They all have their uses.

I didn't pick my $1000 Helix LT (I recently downsized from the full Helix floor) because it sounds 10 times better than the $100 or so I have tied up in Thermionik or 20 times better than the $40 I spent for TSE. It has a completely different use case just like any dedicated hardware modeler would versus a VST.

5. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

I never claimed it's a binary choice, though we can always cherry pick exceptions. Remember, we're talking about the assertion, "For high gain sounds, there are a number of VSTs out today that can absolutely roll with all of the big dogs." While you might believe this is true, I don't believe the majority of high gain users would agree. I certainly don't see any evidence to support the notion anyway.

KrunKGringoeZ likes this.
  6. WiresDream

WiresDream Member

Get a loadbox and a couple of real amps. 5150's and 6505's can be had for very cheap these days, and they sound the mutts nuts.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  7. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Why anyone would think someone should just blindly purchase a product without either reading reviews or asking for advice tailored is anyone's guess. I never buy products blindly. I always read reviews and weigh the value of a specific review against the general experience of others. Obviously you take into account that there's usually a certain amount of bias, however reading others thoughts and asking questions is a good way to gauge the viability of a product, at least in part, for a given use case.

8. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Just as an aside, you picked maybe the two worst VSts for high gain to use as examples. I gave supporting examples to show their parity in my opinion. I don't care who agrees or doesn't. It can't be objectively proven or disproven, and you already know what I think about the "consensus"...

9. mikah912

mikah912 Member

ALSO a great option, or at least give TSE X50 V2 a spin if you haven't already, OP.

10. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

The fact it can't be proven or disproved objectively didn't stop you from proposing the aforementioned empirically unverifiable assertion. I also don't believe most players particularly care whether a tone can be empirically proven to be good or bad. That's never served as an impediment to anyone assessing tonal quality.

11. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Do we really need to start every post on this board with the words "In my opinion...."? I just don't see the point in extensively arguing Axe-Fx vs. ________ for the 679,874,312,817th time when the OP is already predisposed to liking it and I've already said he should get an AX8 and be done with it.

So, once again for the cheap seats....get an AX8, @METAL. May it be what you are looking for in your tone quest.

12. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

Yes. It is a great piece of gear.

13. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

I didn't see anyone in this thread arguing that we should.

You singled out the Axe FX vs. VST's in post #33.

14. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Actually, I'm focusing on the downplaying of the VSTs. Everybody here - OP and myself included - seems to agree of the top-tier quality of the Axe-FX.

Speaking of the OP, he's got an identical thread at...another place I frequent. Between the two, he's gotten plenty of contrary advice, but I think he's gonna go full Fractal anyway.

Last word is yours....Peace.

15. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

The only hardware modeler mentioned exclusively as a point of comparison in that post was the Axe. I was merely suggesting if you don't see the point of discussing the Axe FX vs. (whatever), no one's twisting anyone's arm to do so.

16. WiresDream

WiresDream Member

The thread is about the Axe FX. That's why post 33 mentioned it. It's not rocket science!

17. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

The OP did specify the importance of versatility, as well as good sound. In some cases, it's a lot easier to just create a new thread and get a handful of responses than to dig through pages of unrelated responses that aren't tailored to your specific use case.

18. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Exactly, and that was my point. If someone doesn't see the point of discussing the Axe FX vs. (whatever) in a thread specifically related to the Axe FX, then why do just that?

19. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

How can anybody truly know if anything's worth buying or not? They can't without trying it, but in this case asking questions (and reading reviews) can be extremely helpful in determining whether you even want to tie up a couple thousand dollars for two weeks. That's precisely why a lot of people ask other people their opinion, and what better place than a forum devoted to the very gear they're interested in?

As I just stated, the OP specified the attributes that were important to him, and it was within that context that he was asking whether the Axe FX was worth it.

I'm one of the people who read a ton of reviews and listened to myriad samples of the Axe FX before deciding to spend over $2,000 on one. The reviews I read were extremely helpful, and I'd always recommend reading reviews and asking questions of users who share an interest in certain features or who comment on features that a person is interested in. Questions and reviews aren't meant to take the place of hands-on experience, but rather to provide insight into the user experience.

20. rkbrock

rkbrock Member

Holy Hanna Montana Batman..... =/

I like my VSTs a lot. They have great tone and some are even getting some of the feel now. All i know is that when i plug in my "ancient" Ultra it still brings a smile to my face. Theres just something about and its not going anywhere. Unless I update to the newer gen. However if money were tight and i had to sell it I could be totally happy with VSTs.

Stop the banter and just enjoy the options we have today at the prices. Its mind blowing. Lifes too short otherwise to spend it arguing, tweaking and not playing.