Is The BB Preamp like The Tubescreamer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AndyFender, Oct 7, 2008.

1. AndyFender

AndyFender Member

I am wondering is the bb preamp(Which I have) is like the tubescreamer. I would really like to get that vintage tubescreamer sound.

Andy

2. dsl

dsl Member

I've read that it's based on the same design but it has a lot more gain.

Also, it has active EQ.

I have a RC Booster & AC Booster as well as a BB & I think the AC is the most
    like a Tube Screamer (w/o the mid hump).

3. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Supporting Member

I've tried that pedal. I don't think it's TS based. It has lot more gain.

4. marmelade sky

marmelade sky Member

the AC booster is more like a ibanez tubescreamer, same gain range , but a bit less muffled than the TS.

the BB is more flat-mids and transparent but less bluesy.

5. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

I have read that the BB Pre is based on a TS circuit, and there is a similarity in the quality of the tone, but it also seems to be voiced quite differently from typical TS-style pedals. It has more of a Marshal tone (BB as in Bluesbreaker) and seems less congested in the mids. The active tone stack is great! I like it more than the FD II that I have, but sometimes it's nice to have a second flavor.

6. SFW

SFW Member

7. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

Only similarity with a TS is the compression but even that is different - compression happens at different settings and in differing amounts based on position of gain knob. The compression is also a different flavor than a TS, it's a tighter grainy type of compression and in general the BB has quite a bit more gain (distortion ) than a TS.

The BB is much more open and natural sounding, really like a tube amp cranking, full throated and ballsy instead of the thin cardboard nasal sound of a TS. A regular TS and many TS based pedals just have a treble cut for a tone knob - the BB has active EQ with separate knobs for bass and treble and the bass is very, very full and warm which helps give the pedal it's amp-like quality. The BB has tons of volume and can also be used as a fairly clean boost. And unlike a lot of OD pedals, the gain range can go from none to full blown - the full range of the gain knob is usable - there are no bad settings with the gain knob. An extremely versatile pedal that covers a lot of ground, the BB works with a great variety of amps & guitars. No matter what I add to my collection, nothing will knock the BB off my board.

8. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

The BB is entirely too compressed sounding.

9. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Nothing like a TS to me.
    Not nearly as midrangy.
    I love it for Marshally med-crunch rhythms through my Lone Star.
    Has that great ACDC "crack" on the open treble strings.

10. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Isn't it based off the BB-1 (Marshall Bluesbreaker)?

Totally different monsters bro.. The BB-1 is open and natural sounding.. The TS is compressed, with the noticeable mid hump, and less grit..