• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Is the Big Sky still the undisputed king of reverb?

Squatch57

I wanted a Space, but ended up getting a killer deal on a used BigSky..I like it
Then I realized if I get an H9 later I'll have the Space algos anyway so the BigSky is a keeper for me
I don't like pedals like the Empress..too much of a quickly cobbled together Hammond box with compromised midi
They need to make more effort than that to get my dosh

cbm

Gold Supporting Member
I bought a Big Sky and liked it for a couple weeks. I ended up liking the Eventide H9 / Space verbs better, along with the Neunaber Wet. Eventually I moved back to rack gear for most of my time-based stuff, though. When I thought I could do it all on a pedalboard, I moved the rack stuff into my DAW recording rack. After playing with pedals only for a while, I found I missed the sound and flexibility of my rack stuff.

MFNLGZ

... except for only offering up to 10 seconds of decay.
If ten seconds isn't enough, RV-500 has hold so it can just go forever, Toggle or momentary, they decay out. Yummy. The two engine thing is a lot of fun too :)

but that's why there's so many super reverbs out then? Eh? Cause different strokes, YMMWV, and everyone's rig and needs are different. I love the RV-500, cause it does its things for me. Yay!

I have the Empress Reverb and love it. The Spring mode is bad, but my Fender Pro Reverb has that covered. The Hall settings aren't amazing, but the Ghost, Ambient, Swell, etc. make up for it. The Plate is also quite nice to my ears. The weaker modes will probably get updates in the future so no biggie. I like how easy it is to dial in good sounds, the compact form factor, and the variety. Every time I play the Strymon 'verbs I just find there's something very harsh/synthetic about the sound. I used to have a Blue Sky and really don't miss it.

blackjaw

dude
Silver Supporting Member
Don't know man, Meris Mercury 7 is a killer pedal, I kind of like it a bit better than the Big Sky to be honest. It is ambience in a box...you don't really even need to tweak anything, it just drips spacey ambient goodness.

Meris is doing things right...pedal quality, high quality sounds, customer service. It's no surprise really given the pedigree of the owners.

xcc

Don't know man, Meris Mercury 7 is a killer pedal, I kind of like it a bit better than the Big Sky to be honest. It is ambience in a box...you don't really even need to tweak anything, it just drips spacey ambient goodness.

Meris is doing things right...pedal quality, high quality sounds, customer service. It's no surprise really given the pedigree of the owners.
The Mercury7 came the closest to replacing the BigSky for me, but the lack of onboard preset saving which requires MIDI or a giant unavailable extra footswitch ended it for me. It sounds great though. Not necessarily better, but a different kind of great. It's also a better shade of blue.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Dual engines has two possible advantages IMHO:
1. You can set up completely different reverbs for different amps. Especially if you're not running stereo, but running parallel amps for different sounds (like SRV and Eric Johnson).
2. You can set up way more complex reverbs with the ability to feed back and reflect between the two of them.

dansworld

Anybody here have an opinion on the Source Audio Dimension Reverb? It's got a really fast UI, has expression control and sounds really great at half the price.

Plus you get 2 presets!

I'm sure they'll have one in the Nemesis form factor at some point. It's become a successful platform for them.

Anybody here have an opinion on the Source Audio Dimension Reverb? It's got a really fast UI, has expression control and sounds really great at half the price.

Plus you get 2 presets!

I'm sure they'll have one in the Nemesis form factor at some point. It's become a successful platform for them.
I've heard good things, but the Ventris is supposed to be out in like 2 months. Unless you are looking for a cheaper price point, I'd just wait and pick that up.

JonSick

To me, the undisputed king is the Eventide Space. I have a Big Sky, Boss RV6 and a few others. To me, the Space wins at everything. However my daily driver is the Boss RV6. Small, compact, does everything I want live.

princetone

I'm hearing so many great things about the Flint. Could go into some more detail as to why you'd prefer it to, say, the Big Sky?
The flint is warm and organic and also has a great trem. Easy to dial in. That's why I prefer it. If you need a ton of reverb options and don't want trem the Big Sky maybe better. But I have read the algorithms are a bit different with some preferring the flints reverbs for some things and the big sky for others. Honestly most anything Strymon is killer.

TimTimmony

I have and love the bigSky, but having spent some time on the rack forums (investigating claims like the one I am now making) and taken the Lexicon plunge, I can tell you that it's capable of really spectacular reverbs that are second to none. I don't really want to get into a debate about 'which is better', but the level of control you have over parameters on some racks is stunning (granted, that's not everyone's thing), as is the sound quality. In many ways, those are the reverbs to beat (IMO). I do feel pedals are a lot more convenient for many (most?) players and setups though.
I agree that good racks, like the lexicons are way better. I replaced a big box reverb with a cheaper lexchip lexicon and it is fantastic. The problem, as you note, is that rack gear is just such a pain to integrate with a rig and you need to buy other gear (rack case, patch bay, mixer, foot switch) that it gets expensive, even if you get a good deal on a rack. I have recently grabbed a Meris and it gets close enough to my lexicon rack that I have decided to sell it. So, yeah, racks rule if you are willing to put up with the difficulty, but pedals are just so much more convenient.

jujube

I agree that good racks, like the lexicons are way better. I replaced a big box reverb with a cheaper lexchip lexicon and it is fantastic. The problem, as you note, is that rack gear is just such a pain to integrate with a rig and you need to buy other gear (rack case, patch bay, mixer, foot switch) that it gets expensive, even if you get a good deal on a rack. I have recently grabbed a Meris and it gets close enough to my lexicon rack that I have decided to sell it. So, yeah, racks rule if you are willing to put up with the difficulty, but pedals are just so much more convenient.
Can you dial out that bright metallic sheen that most pedals have from the Meris?

Trending Topics