Is the Blue Sky is Worth twice the price of HOF? What is your take?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by riversisblue, Feb 9, 2012.

1. riversisblue

riversisblue Member

So I have been looking at all sorts of reverb pedals lately and I mainly want this for ambient stuff. Spring doesn't interest me so much. I have heard only great things about the Blue Sky however it is twice the price of the HOF...Is the Blue Sky twice the pedal??? Help me make a decision! Pedal Board Chain: Polytune > Keeley Comp > Modded 808 > Barber Super Sport (Soon to be Barber LTD) > Timeline > REVERB > Dr. Z Camen Ghia.

Thanks for the help!

2. 10strings

10strings Member

yes, it is worth 4 times the hof.

3. cribcage

cribcage Member

I have a Blue Sky. It's a great reverb pedal. I use its traditional reverbs, and occasionally I like to play around with the more experimental stuff. It's neat and it's fun, and I have no plans to sell it. However, if you're asking specifically about its price, I'm not sure I would say that it's worth sticker price. I think closer to $200, maybe $229 would be a fair price. That's based solely on my personal opinion and what else I can buy in the guitar marketplace (not just reverb pedals) for the same amount of money. So take it with a grain of salt.

I can't speak to the HOF reverb pedal.

4. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

yes much better than the hof

5. wenbinbin2010

wenbinbin2010 Member

I think it's worth twice. For one, it has a preset so now you've got two reverbs at your feet. And it just sounds more pristine than the HOF, not sterile to me as some people have called it...I don't know why, but the BSR makes me think of "sparkly" while the HOF is much darker/dronier.

6. Grizz_Lee

Grizz_Lee Member

i really didn't like the HoF...

7. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Yes hands down. Even if it came down to keep your original tone integrity. Yes.

8. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

Yes. Owned both. The hof was traded quick.

9. hbentley

hbentley Member

owned both of those and ended up with the Stereo WET for what it's worth.

10. parkerbro

parkerbro Supporting Member

I owned the blue sky and a wet. My verb of choice is a spring chicken.

11. cookedbutok

cookedbutok Member

I agree. WET is the best.

But, outside of that truth, I think that the HOF is a much better value than the BSR.

12. pima1234

pima1234 Member

The HOF is a good all around verb pedal. Definitely versatile and useable.

Blue Sky is excellent, and yes, worth the extra!

The Strymon pedals are in a different class altogether. Still wondering whether or not I should have traded my Blue Sky But I love the verb section of their Flint pedal, so that just about makes up for it. I didn't use the shimmer much. I can't find a better Flanger than their Orbit, but I have yet to try the Frostbite.

For me, it's all about available pedalboard space. I'm able to settle for the smaller footprint of the TC pedals, because they are still very good. The El Cap and Flint will definitely be on my board though, except I will need to purchase a newer version of the El Cap for stereo in. Then I have to decide on the Flashback or whether or not to buy a
    Brigadier. Again, primarily about space on the board. I eventually want a Brig (again, newer version) no matter what.

The Stereo Wet just rules all! It will be the last pedal on my board, except maybe a post fx volume pedal.

13. jason41224

jason41224 Member

really, i think it's worth it because the favorite switch on the blue sky really gives you two verbs in one. i like how they sound better, too.

14. steelerboy329

steelerboy329 Member

I haven't even owned a Blue Sky and I'll say yes.

15. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

I'll just say this... What would 2 HOF's cost you?
    The BSR all of a sudden doesn't seem so outrageously priced.

16. Ryan84

Ryan84 Member

Well I like the Hall Of Fame. The sky isn't always bluer on the other side. Besides, I like my reverb and modulation separate on the most part.

17. thesooze

thesooze Member

I'm actually in the minority: I'd choose the HOF > BSR, price notwithstanding.

18. pima1234

pima1234 Member

I kept the HoF over the BSR and was just playing it after my previous post. Great pedal. Highly versatile.

Not as deep and pristine as the BSR, for sure, and the BSR kills it on the Spring setting.

Then again, with an El Cap on my board, I have an excellent built-in spring, and the Flint's reverbs are amazing too.

So, there's definitely no need for the BSR now, since I don't use the shimmer.

And really, I don't to have the HoF on my board, now that I'm thinking about it. A newer version of the El Cap should do it. All effects after phaser will be in stereo, if I use the Vortex over the Orbit, that is.

The problem is, where to place the Flint? The Flint is a modulation pedal first, verb second, IMO. I guess technically, reverb is modulation too, but you catch my drift.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  19. Lyle Devine

Lyle Devine Member

I do not regret getting a Flint, because I needed both a trem and verb, but honestly if I was in the market for just a verb, it would be a tough choice, the HoF does an okay job and though my Flint does sound better, much more like my fender reverb (indistinguishable) but is that worth the extra cash, size... That is personal.

20. Ryan84

Ryan84 Member

I also want to add that some people may not be utilizing the Tone Prints to their fullest. Some of my favorite reverbs on the Hall Of Fame are via Tone Print like Room With A View/Church Of Andy. When I use Room With A View (Subtle Modulation With Long Decay) and crank the decay, It gives as long of a reverb trail as I'd ever need. Which for other people like me who don't have a Neunaber Wet, it's a good substitute for that kind of super long reverb effect.