Is the boomerang still the best looper?

earwax

I have a boss RC-3 that I am using right now. I'd like to have more than one track available. Something where you can record a verse track and then a chorus track and switch back and forth etc. not really into effects like 1/2 speed and reverse etc.

celticelk

For that application, you're basically looking at the Rang III and the Pigtronix Infinity. If you don't need the other bells and whistles, the Infinity might be preferable from a footprint perspective. Also, the new EHX 22500 might meet your needs, though I have no idea when it will be officially released.

smitty.west

My Boomerang III is one of the very first ones-- was/is actually a beta unit-- and nothing beats it in the capacity which you describe. I've used the Infinity and overall while it was nice, I found the 'rang much more intuitive to use. A real performance oriented looper.

earwax

I am interested in that ehx release because of the smaller footprint but I think so far the way the boomerang works in serial mode maybe exactly what I want.

corn husk bag

I am interested in that ehx release because of the smaller footprint but I think so far the way the boomerang works in serial mode maybe exactly what I want.
I think so too. Great pedal. Have had all 3 iterations of the Boomerang, the pedal progressed beyond my expectations in the area that fits your needs.

Steve

Squatch57

I got the Infinity because I like the idea of saving loops to PC (plus I got an irresistable deal)
But I suppose you can always record the Boomerang loop to PC if you get a killer loop you wanna keep

Last edited:

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
My Boomerang III is one of the very first ones-- was/is actually a beta unit-- and nothing beats it in the capacity which you describe.
actually, i'd say the Echoplex Digital Pro "beats" it, insofar as functionality in that capacity is concerned;
however, it's very different.

A real performance oriented looper.
the BIII is great, but is def not oriented towards my use & pursuit of "real performance" looping.

smitty.west

actually, i'd say the Echoplex Digital Pro "beats" it, insofar as functionality in that capacity is concerned;
however, it's very different.
I agree, but I'm assuming the OP is looking for something within the stompbox realm. Not everyone wants to incorporate a rack and its accompanying large foot pedal. But it's just an assumption on my part- maybe OP won't mind!

earwax

I agree, but I'm assuming the OP is looking for something within the stompbox realm. Not everyone wants to incorporate a rack and its accompanying large foot pedal. But it's just an assumption on my part- maybe OP won't mind!
no you are correct. It definitely needs to be a stompbox.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
understood; "pedal" wasn't specified in the thread-subject nor OP; "looper" was.

i'm no longer using a foot-pedal (of any kind) with the EchoPlex, and i've never used one with the Repeater, fwiw;
1-rack space for the EDP, vs. 2 for the Repeater.

Telecasteur

understood; "pedal" wasn't specified in the thread-subject nor OP; "looper" was.

i'm no longer using a foot-pedal (of any kind) with the EchoPlex, and i've never used one with the Repeater, fwiw;
1-rack space for the EDP, vs. 2 for the Repeater.
I think most people use loopers with what the Boomerang/Infinity were designed for (verse/chorus sections). I absolutely love what you do, Mr. Torn, but I haven't the slightest clue on how to begin down that road.

Do you think you'll ever produce a video tutorial or lesson series on your unique looping style? I'd buy it.

For those that haven't seen it, here is a great TED performance & talk given by Splatt!

celticelk

Do you think you'll ever produce a video tutorial or lesson series on your unique looping style? I'd buy it.
Homespun Video released a two-video lesson with David in the mid-90s called "Painting With Guitar", but it's never been re-released in digital form. If you can track down the VHS tapes, they're well worth checking out. David also gave a couple of clinics on his recent tour, at least one of which was filmed; I'm eagerly awaiting the release of that video.