Is the Classic Vibe tele a good choice?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by aayjaay, Dec 28, 2012.

1. aayjaay

aayjaay Member

I've actually been researching this for a while but I'm getting quick second opinions before I go guitar buying today (hopefully I'll go today). I mainly play indie and alternative rock, we're thinking Radiohead, The Pixies, Foals, Grizzly Bear, Blur, The Vaccines, The Libertines. I also like old stuff like Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Led Zep, The Stones, Sex Pistols, Ramones, The Smiths, Joy Division. Blues, maybe even some jazz. I don't play metal though.

So I was mainly thinking of getting a Classic Vibe 50s tele. I've heard good stuff about them. A lot of people say they're equal to or above MIM teles which are more expensive. I've even played one but that was ages ago. My budget is £180 and I will be looking at used guitars. Most of the money has been put towards an amp (I'm thinking AC30).

So basically, is this a good guitar to buy? I'll end up playing it when I go to the shop but I want your opinions first. Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  2. Ricky John

Ricky John Member

Ac30 = win. As to any budget left over play everything you can afford and pick the best. Never played a cv tele but the reputation is good.

3. tochiro

tochiro Member

I have a CV Tele (the CV Custom) and it's the best guitar I've had. I've had Fender and Gibson guitars before. I chose the CV over the Am Deluxe Tele. After one year with it, I still cannot believe how good it is for such a price... I will never buy expensive guitars any more.

4. Auriemma

Auriemma Member

CV's are great. Sorry I gave mine up.

5. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Member

I'd say the CV is better than the American Standard IF you want a 'trad' Tele. I would take a CV over a MIA RI '52 Tele to be honest, it sounds as good and plays better because of the bigger frets.

Fender should make guitars that good in America for a competitive price... I hate buying Chinese anything, but I have to say the CV stuff is the best stuff Fender's made since the early 90's.

6. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Supporting Member

I was in Russo's checking out a pedal yesterday and grabbed (with permission, of course) a nearby Tele to do so. I was way more impressed with the Tele than the pedal and was a little confused when the store manager stopped by and said, "not bad for 350, huh?"

I thought he meant the pedal (which was not for me & was off anyway) but he meant the CV in my hands. Part of it was that the neck shape was just right for me but it was a great playing.sounding guitar.

I've been wracking my brain for some excuse to justify another guitar... I know, I might get some gigs that require open tunings...

7. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

The Telecaster is probably okay, less moving parts.

I bought a CV Jaguar and it's pure garbage. Looks beautiful and completely untunable and unplayable. I use it as a wall hanger...yep, there's my Jag.

8. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I have 3 of the CV series.

So the answer is yes.

9. larimar

larimar Member

10. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

overall, I've been quite impressed with the CV series telecasters that I have played. Most have been very well set up and intonated from the factory, as they were in stores that never set up guitars other than take them out of the box and put them on hangers.

I was only looking for teles, so I never really paid much attention to the strats. I do not feel qualified to speak regarding them. I bought mine two years ago and have pretty much stopped looking for another guitar. Now I am looking for amps. When I'm in a store looking to try an amp, I hope to find a CV 50 tele to try it out. Just this summer, I checked out a PRRI with a CV50 that was sitting on the floor in a stand. It was sounding incredibly good through that amp, and it felt quite nearly the same as my guitar.

My CV50 tele has been my main guitar this year, and my CS strat has been relegated to case queen status. I've recently purchased a CVC Tele neck, with the rosewood fingerboard and swapped it onto my CV50 body. The only other mod is a larger diameter ungrooved brass 3 barrel bridge from an '80s MIJ tele.

11. Sidmore

Sidmore no talent hack Silver Supporting Member

my CV 50's VB has been my #1 guitar for a year and it's the best $$ I ever spent on a guitar - other than a string change and some larger compensated saddles it's bone stock and will likely stay that way.

12. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

There's a CV Strat that I played recently and for $200, I put a deposit on it and I'm picking it up shortly. Yeah, it's not in the same league as my CS Strat but it still had nice wood, finish and even a little mojo (Chinese mojo! Think Bruce Lee).

13. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Member

I like the Fender Modern Players too...if you can find one of those for the same funds as a CV I'd take a hard look at it. I've got a Modern Player Thinline Deluxe loaded with P90's thats fantastic.

14. ilikeguitar90

ilikeguitar90 Member

We have very similar musical tastes, I enjoy everything from 60s psychedelic/pop/garage to modern day alternative and indie, and have been a big fan of almost every band you specifically mentioned at certain points in my life. I have about 8 guitars and am always buying and selling, and have went through Gibsons and Fenders as well, but for me the magic combo has always been my Classic Vibe 60s Tele straight through my Vox AC15. The CV is one I'll never get rid of and the combo is just a perfect match. So yes, Classic Vibes Teles are amazing, but I would personally recommend the 60s one. Both the 50s and 60s are great, but my brother had a 50s one and we both agreed that the 50s was twangier/thinner and worked better for some blues and country, while the 60s was better for alternative stuff and a bit more versatile overall. The tone of the 60s is just a bit warmer. Oh and I've had 3 different MIM Standard Teles over the years and the CV was better than all 3 of them IMO, especially when it came down to feel and the pickups. Good luck!

edit: and don't be put off by Mike Duncan's response. AFAIK, there is no such thing as a Classic Vibe Jagaur. I think he is referring to the Vintage Modified Jaguar, which comes stock with the troublesome vintage style Jaguar bridges. Although they are vintage accurate, those bridges make Jaguars/Jazzmasters a bit trickier to setup compared to something like a Strat or Tele, and I'm guessing his guitar hasn't been properly setup, hence the issues it has.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  15. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

OK, I just went and picked up that CV Strat ($199) and it's everything I remembered when I first played it a couple of weeks ago. I think it's likely a better guitar than many of the mid range strats. At least, I bonded to it right away and that doesn't happen often for me. Keep in mind that I'm not saying it's quite in the same league as my CS Tele or Strat but this is definitely a playable instrument. Set up was pretty good too as it was previously owned by someone who did a nice job on it.

My intent is to sell it to a student eventually but it's actually got a nice thing about it and I'm enjoying it. The Chinese are building some really nice instruments right now as they seem to have begun really getting the feel of how these guitars should be put together. 2013 is a great time to be playing.

This is the era of the electric guitar. There's a glut of them and a few gems out there to be had at bargain prices.

16. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Member

Two weeks ago I went to my local mom and pop shop to test some Strats and Teles. They had TONS of MIM and CV Strats and Teles.

The Classic Vibes held their own, and in most cases were better than their MIM brothers.

17. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

I've only had a CV strat but it was a great guitar. I like most of the same music and I used a tele as my main guitar for awhile. Also, unless you really need the extra volume, I'd suggest an AC15C1. Change out the tubes and reverb tank and it's a stellar amp. Also much more friendly for at-home volume.

18. Deugan

Deugan Member

Got a CV Tele last month. It's my first Tele since I'm mostly a strat player. Lovin it!! It was a smooth transition. The necks on these things are amazingly well built. I might just like it more than my mexican strat but we'll just wait till the honeymoons over.

FYI: The cup for the output jack was really loose on mine so I replaced it with a shallow Rutters Cup so I can use right angle cables now. Also threw on some Compensated brass saddles and a new control plate with an angled switch. But thats all preference. The loose cup was my only genuine concern since I always had to tighten it.

Heres where I got the parts in case your interested: http://ruttersguitars.com/Hot_Rod_Parts.html

19. Geek USA

Geek USA Member

I had the CV 50s and Custom. Great guitars for the money, on par with most MIM easily, but a far, far cry from an AVRI or Am Deluxe. Seeing those comments is a bit of a head scratcher, but hey different strokes... If you're on a budget and want a tele, there's no better deal out there than a used CV.

20. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

I am not a fan. Or, I wasn't until I played one. Properly set up, hard to beat for the $