1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is the Clubman Matchless' signature amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by scottcw, Jun 7, 2005.

1. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I always think of the C30 series as the signature Matchless amp.

The recent thread about Lucinda Williams and then recalling that Pearl Jam use(s/d) the Clubman made me consider that maybe this is their signature amp.

Discuss.

2. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

For me, the "Matchless sound" is the DC/30. They make a bunch of other great amps, but when I think Matchless, I think DC/30.

Bryan

3. gregc

gregc Member

DC/30

gregc

4. dave s

dave s Member

Although a Clubman 35 and matching cab is my #1 live rig, I still believe that the DC30 combo would be the point of reference when speaking of the Matchless 'sound.'

dave

5. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

C30 series is definitely their signature.. .I remember when lots of Lightnings were sold too... I saw Clubman amps sit in stores at 1200.00 for YEARS more than once and remain unsold.. Same with Chieftans... .That said, I used to see Ian Moore in concert every year and he always killed with his Clubman! They changed the design about 3 times too on that one, but the C30's were definitely their signature series

ERIC

6. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

DC/30 is the signature Matchless amp, IMHO, hands down.

That said, and having owned both; the Clubman remains my favorite Matchless amp.

7. davebc

davebc Member

Absolutely the DC -30 is the signiture flagship imho.

Scott,I've always been really interested in the Clubman,would you say it's more into Marshall turf sonically?
    I love my DC-30,and Lightning15 and so I'm always curious about the rest of the line.

8. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Slightly more Marshall, but "small box" Marshall from those who know better than I. Compared to the DC30, it is much ruder and more in your face; less chime and more roar. "Steely" tones is the best word I ever heard that describes it.

If the DC/HC/SC-30 is Audrey Hepburn, the Clubman is like Mae West. :D

9. davebc

davebc Member

Hmm,,,What was she wearing at the time?
    Thanks Scott.Now I want one of those too!
    I don't know How/why my wife stays with me.

10. juneaudio

juneaudio Member

Administrator Edit: No Spam outside of the Emporiums please.

11. heybulldog

heybulldog Member

The clubman is my signature amp!

I have been working on a cd for while and had planned to use my clubman as well as my jcm800 combo and hiwatt bulldog for a varity of tones. the clubman has provided great tone (with an AT 4050 about 1' from the speaker). we are just about done tracking and i have only used the matchless. got all the tones by switching guitars (2 les pauls, a 335 dot, ric 12 string and a strat).

the cool thing was i got great tone every session instantly- set up and start tracking. i love this amp (and the AT4050)

12. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

Just bought a Clubman myself & love it!!!

2 EL34s & the EF86 probably account for that "growl & bite" Marshall thing.

I've got it set just so...use an EQ pedal to boost the mids when needed & then soar on in to "Plexi-ville" via a Mesa/Boogie Bottle Rocket O/D.

Bada$$ small box Marshall with added super cleans, if you want them too!

BUT...I would also agree that the EL84 based HC/SC/DC-30 series Matchless amps are their "signature".

I actually wanted an HC-30, but couldn't swing the extra dough....PLUS, my Boogie Blue Angel covers my EL84 thirst (as well as my 6L6/6V6 ones!!:D ).....