Is the Constellation similar to......?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pirateflynn, Oct 3, 2006.

1. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

A Trainwreck

Liverpool?

Rocket?

or maybe a Concord (EL34s)?

I know that the circuits are different and that the Constellation has the 2 preamps that are fed at the same time, but in regards to tone and feel. Is it close to any of the above or maybe another amp I haven't mentioned?

Thank you.

Ken

2. pirateflynn

I know it's tough question because there very few people that have played the actual Trainwreck amps but any opinions will be helpful.

What would you compare the Constellation to?

Thanks.

3. matte

matte Senior Member

no, not even a little. the constellation is a non kenny fischer design and bears no resemblance to any of kenny's tw or komet kf licensed designs.

4. pureoldsound

pureoldsound Member

To me the Connie sounds closer to an Express than other Komets. Now, after seen both the inside of a TW Express and the Concorde..both have lots of similarities. At this point I am thinking that the Concorde might be the improved version of the Express. Definitely more low end, probably more headroom (more watts) a bit more versatile (fast mode).

If you listen to the komet clips the connie sounds closer to the Express but if you look at the design the Concorde looks closer to an Express.

5. CPA

CPA Member

The Connie sound nothing like a Trainwreck. The closest thing to a Trainwreck that I have hear is the Concorde. The Connie sounds very different than any other amp Komet makes. It runs off el84's and was not designed by Ken.

Nothing sounds like a TRainwreck except a real Trainwreck. Also as I have come to know Trainwrecks of the same model also sound different.

6. Blueser

Blueser Member

Actually, I thought my Constellation sounded better to my ears than three other actual TW amps (two Express, and one Liverpool) that I heard. I was impressed by the LP, but not the Express, though I am not sure what shape they were in. Our own Chi has a K60 that was modded by KF, and that damn thing was a fire breather! Very cool!

7. matte

matte Senior Member

wrecks and dumbles are the ultimate existentialist amps. each one breeds a new reality.

8. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

The Constellation is the "Hogy" amp. He built his vision of an el84 amp coupled with the knowledge and experience he has gained running Komet. It is also the only cathode-biased design and up until the Concorde the only Komet that had a SS rectifier.

It does not get enough props for it's clean sound. It is very, very good. Of course, blending channel two gives you all the gain you will ever need.

9. matte

matte Senior Member

hogy? or mike?

10. hogy

hogy Member

Ken, as others pointed out the Constellation is not a Trainwreck design. I designed it.

I think the Constellation sounds unlike any other amp, but the inspiration for it came from Rory Gallgher's tone during the "Irish Tour" period when he ran a combination of a Vox AC30 and a Fender Tweed (usually a Twin or Pro). It's always been one of my all time favorite guitar tones.

In terms of response and feel I find it very similar to the other Komets.

Hope this helps a bit.

Hogy, Komet Amplification
    www.kometamps.com

11. pirateflynn

12. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

***heavy sigh****....I want one.....:(

13. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

Hogy
    here ya go.

http://snabet.free.fr/Rory.html

14. hogy

hogy Member

Man, Tony, that's incredible. Thank you very much for the link, that answers many questions I had about Rory's amp.

I love the writing on the Vox where it says "LINKS TO BASSMAN IN SERIES" :dude

Considering how much action that amp saw it's remarkably untouched. So much for old AC30s not being reliable. Someone forgot to tell Rory...

Hogy

15. pirateflynn

From Rory's AC30.

What the heck is a EL83......never heard of it?

[​IMG]

16. dayn

dayn Silver Supporting Member