• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Is the current EHX DMM the best option to get me ballpark to a original DMM?

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
I saw that the other day. I paid $150 15 years ago for mine. That is quite the rate of return. Also, it seems like the ones with the high asking prices are beat up, apparently relic’ing has reached pedals.
So I'm going to assume the ones from the 90s have different chips to the current ones?

Otherwise what's the deal asking that much?

whateverdude

Silver Supporting Member
I have a big box Howard Davis modded DMM and an XO DMM. Maybe the big box sounds a little better.. But the XO is just fine. I recommend the newer XO.
I love my XO, BUT I have the 90’s Attached Cord DMM, that is non true bypass and has never been modded. It’s the best sounding one I’ve owned so far. This is maybe my 5th one over the years? I’ve lost count, but rest assured that this one will be handed down to one of my kids some day.

I would get the XO, it sounds close enough to me.

@Bluesful yes the older big box DMM came with Panasonic MN3005 two of them or four Panasonic MN 3008, the MN are highly desired. The XO’s came with the Panasonic MN3008 until they ran out of them. That what’s in my XO. Same with the TT-1100 they came with the MN3005, four to be exact. The TT-500 came with four MN3008. The high prices are due to scarcity of the Panasonic chips and the funky big box enclosure because they both are no longer in production.

Last edited:

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
The high prices are due to scarcity of the Panasonic chips and the funky big box enclosure because they both are no longer in production.
That makes sense.

So if the MN3005 or MN3008 aren't in the current DMM, what's in there?

J-Flanders

What's up with the 90's DMMs asking $1K on Reverb?
800 to 1000 (euros) has become the 'normal' asking, and even selling price over here in Europe. Similar on Reverb for the US I see.

I don't see many making the distinction between 2 x mn3005 and 4 x mn3008.
It's also hard to tell from the outside and even from the inside. Some have 4 sockets for the bbd chips but when you take the pcb out and look at the component side it can still have the preferred 2 x mn3005 + jumpers instead of 4 x mn3008.

They pretty much doubled in price over the last year or two:

Is it that percussive thing I hear in the repeats?
The percussive thing, for a large part, comes from how the compander is set up in the circuit and which component values are chosen there. It should be the same on the XO vs the big box though.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
The percussive thing, for a large part, comes from how the compander is set up in the circuit and which component values are chosen there. It should be the same on the XO vs the big box though.
In all of the XO vs. original comparisons I've watched, I don't hear that percussive thing in the XO.

Could just be my ears :dunno.

augur

In all of the XO vs. original comparisons I've watched, I don't hear that percussive thing in the XO.
I do have an XO (4xMN3008 - modded by analogman) and a 90's big box (2x3005 - modded by Howard Davis).
I did have another XO in the past, a Tap Tempo 1100 (4xMN3005) and another big box.
None did sound exactly he same, but definitely be in the same familly. I kept my 2 preferred.
My big box has 1st repeat very percussive and still pristine repeats. Its modulation is very nice. Decay in a lush way.
The XO is also very percussive, but decaying in a more "middy" way. Loss lows. Still great, but modulation not as nice.
The 110 was the least interesting of the lot, not warm, sterile modulation. I sold it quickly.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
I do have an XO (4xMN3008 - modded by analogman) and a 90's big box (2x3005 - modded by Howard Davis).
I did have another XO in the past, a Tap Tempo 1100 (4xMN3005) and another big box.
None did sound exactly he same, but definitely be in the same familly. I kept my 2 preferred.
My big box has 1st repeat very percussive and still pristine repeats. Its modulation is very nice. Decay in a lush way.
The XO is also very percussive, but decaying in a more "middy" way. Loss lows. Still great, but modulation not as nice.
The 110 was the least interesting of the lot, not warm, sterile modulation. I sold it quickly.
Thanks for sharing your thougths.

fusionid

Silver Supporting Member
I don’t know how close but I’m pretty sure EJ exchanged his for a catalinbread echorec

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
I don’t know how close but I’m pretty sure EJ exchanged his for a catalinbread echorec
An Echorec is a emulation of the Binson Echorec, which was/is a drum delay.

I think you're actually referring to EJ using a Catalinbread Belle Epoch Deluxe in place of his Echoplex (tape delay).

The DMM is an analog delay, not a drum or tape delay machine/emulation.

stagolee

Gold Supporting Member
The TTs (9.6v) are not XOs (24v), right? I’m just trying to keep this stuff straight. I understood the TTs were not really quite the same circuit, and especially the modulation is a different animal. I’d be happy to be wrong, though, as I had a TT years ago and if that’s about what they all feel like I can give up the hunt for a big box.

Last edited:
The current model is a good delay pedal BUT that circuit overloads very easy. As a result I've been happier with digital emulations.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone have any thoughts on Analogman's mod to install four NOS Japanese Panasonic MN3008 chips?

Would I notice much of a difference over the standard Xvive chips?

augur

The TTs (9.6v) are not XOs (24v), right? I’m just trying to keep this stuff straight. I understood the TTs were not really quite the same circuit, and especially the modulation is a different animal. I’d be happy to be wrong, though, as I had a TT years ago and if that’s about what they all feel like I can give up the hunt for a big box.
The tap tempo versions run at 9v because there is an internal charge pump (or equivalent) to feed the circuit.
The circuit is very similar to XO (except additionnal time for the 1100 of course).
You can adjust modulation from slow to fast (not only a 2 position switch vibrato/chorus like on XO and Big Box), and seemed to me made to sound closer to a warbly tape than a lush chorus.
I did find the sound of the TT to be clearer and with less lows. I definitely prefer an XO, and the best : Big Box. But Big Box is fat, fragile and too much value...

Last edited:

augur

Something that differentiates the DMM to any other analog delay is its ability to have a 1st repeat quite "hifi" (as close as possible to original without too much white noise) and a slow "reverbish" decay. Most analog delays decay quickly in a dark and murky way.
Remember the DMM had been designed end of 70's to come close to tape delays. Those were very hifi by the time, and I think EHX and Howard Davis succeed to achieve this.
The XO still does this very well, but repeats (on mine) are less warm than the big box.
A good alternative I do own, is the Xvive Memory delay. Very nice modulation. 1st repeat very punchy BUT it does decay much quicker than the original... :(

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
to come close to tape delays
I've been reading that over the last few days, and I was originally thinking "what the? - an analog BB delay trying to be a tape delay?", but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Especially with a touch of modulation engaged.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Another option is to get a AMAZE1 for my ARDX20, but that will only just get me mod to add to the ARDX20.

The ARDX20 repeats sound darker compared to the DMM to my ears.
As suspected, the ARDX20 is darker.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom