Is the Danelectro Cool Cat Distortion a Xotic BB Preamp Clone???

JDouglee

I've never played a BB, but the Dano Distortion is kinda cool. I've been using mine a
bit lately, I like it even thru a clean amp.

redpill

If only the Dano pedals weren't so hideous. Not thrilled about those switches, either.
I'm probably the only one who will say this, but I like the look. It's nice to have anything be a little different for a change.

The CD-1 sounds mighty good to my ears. I have no idea if it is a clone (seems pretty likely, given the CTO-1, CO-1 and CF-1), but it is a great sounding pedal.

wiklund87

I'm probably the only one who will say this, but I like the look. It's nice to have anything be a little different for a change.

The CD-1 sounds mighty good to my ears. I have no idea if it is a clone (seems pretty likely, given the CTO-1, CO-1 and CF-1), but it is a great sounding pedal.
I see you got all of the new Tech 21 pedals... How would you compare the British(I got one on the way) to the CD-1?

schenkadere

All I've heard so far are clips and video demos, but the Cool Cat doesn't seem as fat, warm and compressed as the BB.

redpill

I see you got all of the new Tech 21 pedals... How would you compare the British(I got one on the way) to the CD-1?
I really don't think they sound alike at all. The British is an amps sim, and it sounds like it. Speaker emulation is built in. And the range of tones is greater. 3 band EQ that does a lot, Character knob that does an awful lot, etc. Is the CD-1 a "British" sounding pedal, roughly speaking? Sure. Would I run it direct to a board and sound Masrhally good? No. So I'd say they're vastly different variations on a broadly defined theme. The British is an overall better sounding pedal that can do a lot more, and it is an amp sim first and foremost, IMO. The CD-1 is what I'd put in front of a conventional amp for a Mashally dirt shot.

wiklund87

I really don't think they sound alike at all. The British is an amps sim, and it sounds like it. Speaker emulation is built in. And the range of tones is greater. 3 band EQ that does a lot, Character knob that does an awful lot, etc. Is the CD-1 a "British" sounding pedal, roughly speaking? Sure. Would I run it direct to a board and sound Masrhally good? No. So I'd say they're vastly different variations on a broadly defined theme. The British is an overall better sounding pedal that can do a lot more, and it is an amp sim first and foremost, IMO. The CD-1 is what I'd put in front of a conventional amp for a Mashally dirt shot.

telelion

Platinum Supporting Member
I thought the Dano Distortion was very mediocre and run of the mill and sent it back.

schenkadere

Just tried one and bought it at lunchtime. I agree...it is rather generic sounding, although surprisingly decent quality. I'll check it out at home tonight with my rig and make my decision whether or not it's a keeper.

It is butt ugly. And the knobs are kinda cheap and cheesy. But for 39 bucks I guess you can't expect too much.

soli528

Look, my first gold medal.
Gold Supporting Member
I thought the assumption was that it's an OCD clone. So it begs the question is the BB preamp an OCD clone :rotflmao

TheLemon

The BB Preamp is a modded tube-screamer so it really wouldn't be suprizing if the Dano was too.

soli528

Look, my first gold medal.
Gold Supporting Member
I think you're referring to the Dano Overdrive (the silver one).
Is that different than the CTO "Transparent overdrive" that's supposedly a Timmy clone? Ay Caramba, when will it end?

Iversen

I don't find the Cool Cat series any worse looking than so many other pedals out there, I got the CC Vibe, the CC TO and the CC Tremolo.

Come the think of it, the worst looking pedal I have is an old Ibanez TS-808. :p

redpill

Is that different than the CTO "Transparent overdrive" that's supposedly a Timmy clone? Ay Caramba, when will it end?
The clone matrix so far:
Dano CF-1 - Peach Fuzz
Dano CO-1 - OCD
Dano CTO-1 - Timmy

Nobody has traced the CD-1 or CM-1 circuits yet, and that has me really curious.

schenkadere

Just finished checking out my new CD-1 purchase...it's going back tomorrow...it's no BB Preamp...not by a longshot. More of a generic Marshall type distortion...it's not bad...just nothing I have interest in. And the knob placement is terrible.

Trending Topics