Is the Deluxe Reverb $400 better than the Hotrod deluxe?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by icanhazguitarz, Apr 30, 2016.

1. icanhazguitarz

icanhazguitarz Member

I have some extra money, and there is a deluxe reverb for sale for $700, and aa hotrod deluxe for $300. I've owned a twin reverb before and loved it, but sold it to buy other things lol. So I could also probably find also twin in the $700 dollar range as well. But there's also a Marshall DSL40C for sale locally for $350, so I'm wondering if I would be alright with the hotrod deluxe and I coukd buy the marshall as well, or should I just get the twin or deluxe reverb? My current amp is an orange OR 15.

*EDIT*

I should mention I don't use many pedals. That's why I'm picking up a good "clean " amp, to a/b with my Orange. But my biggest dilemma is, I could get 2 amps (the hrd And dsl 40c), or 1 in the twin or deluxe reverb. What I'm looking for is suggestions, I guess.

I just play at home. Saying that, ive owned a twin and know how it works at low volumes (very well lol)

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  2. ES330

ES330 Member

The HRD is closer to the twin reverb using 6L6 tubes.
    I think the HRD is a great deal at $300 !!!!

The Marshall has great distortion, the HRD has great cleans & works with pedals.

For me, I'm into 6V6 tube amps these days, and would get the DR.
    Though I think the HRD is a better deal at those prices.

3. randomhero

randomhero Member

If it was me....I would buy the Marshall DSL 40 (great price) and buy a good spring reverb pedal....and spend the rest of my cash on beer!.....but that's me!

icanhazguitarz likes this.
  4. joelster

joelster Silver Supporting Member

I really like the Deluxe Reverb but at $300 you can't lose with the HRD. Grab it! If you don't like it you can flip it and get a used DRRI in the future. But you're gonna like it.

HTSMetal, Hcklr and icanhazguitarz like this.
  5. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

At those prices I'd buy them all and flip whichever I didn't want. You can't lose.

lowpaygigs, ChrisVereb and Rod like this.
  6. icanhazguitarz

icanhazguitarz Member

Haha thanks guys. I just left a guitar center and played the HRD and deluxe reverb. The hotrod deluxe wasn't anything special, nice amp, just kinda "plain" I guess you'd call it. The Deluxe reverb sounded much better though. But I'm still not convinced it's $400 nicer though lol. I think I'll go the hrd and Marshall. But we'll see lol. Im pretty indecisive, that's why I asked you guys lol

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  7. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

I don't know. I've played through a few HRDs and haven't come away all that impressed. And I'm a Fender amp guy. The clean channel is okay, but didn't quite nail the classic BF sound. And the drive channel I found ragged and pretty much worthless. But really, with such a small sample size (backline and rehearsal room amps mostly), not easy to say if it could come down to crappy tubes or speakers. I've played some very nice sounding Deluxe reissues.
    One thing buying used, I don't trust any of those modern Fenders and reissues to last. I know guys with Blues Juniors that have developed big problems in the PCBs. One friend's tech solved it bypassing the faulty part and hand-wiring around it.

8. stevel

stevel Member

New, the DRRI and TRRI were only $100-200 diffrence in price and I could never justify buying a DRRI for, say, $999, when you could spend a touch more and have a TRRI that's about 8 times the amp. That pricing scheme never made sense to me.

If you liked your Twin, understand that a Deluxe Reverb will sound roughly similar at low volumes, but a gig volumes the Deluxe Reverb is going to break up a whole lot more (no clean headroom).

But really you're talking about vastly different amps here.

It really depends on what you need them for!

A Hot Rod Deluxe is a fine, workhorse amp. They're backline staples for a reason. If you want a "serviceable" amp for gigging (one that "works", not one you can work on!) then the HRDX is a great choice. It's plenty loud for gigging, the clean is useable, and it takes pedals well.

But, if you're looking for "blackface clean" like the Twin, you need a Twin (or Pro, or Vibrolux, etc.).

If you're looking for drive from the amp, then the HRDX is not the best choice (no one likes its drive channel).

If you want the kind of breakup a DR(RI) gives you at gig volumes, then that would be perfect. But unless it falls right in that pocket, that can be tough.

You also didn't say whether it's a BF DR, a SF DR, or a DRRI (or a 68 Custom - the new series). That would impact the perceived value.

Is a 65 BF DR worth $400 more - you betcha. The 68 Custom - it's a bit steep for it at this point.

I think you first need to determine what kind of sound you need from your amp and make your decision based on that, rather than the "name" on the amp and whether it's a great deal or not. If you can get a great deal great, but if you're buying something you don't need just because it's a great deal, you've got more money than sense so give them to me instead. I'll make sure they're loved :)

Dave Orban likes this.
  9. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Last time I played a stock made in mexico hot rod deluxe, I was shocked how good it sounded.

I have not a/b tested them. The deluxe reverb is supposed to be a great amp, but Ive heard them sound "average".

jimijimmyjeffy likes this.
  10. stevel

stevel Member

You said Deluxe Reverb twice. I think you meant the HRDX is "plain" and the DR was much better. Most would agree.

The Deluxe Reverb is $400 nicer than a HRDX for those who want that particular sound and the particular attributes of that amp. But again, I think the pricing is kind of out of whack in comparison to the other Re-Issue amps.

I'm going to tell you, since you used "lol" far too many times in that post, you probably should do some more research. But yeah, if you want to throw away money, just give it to me instead.

But seriously, you can probably buy the amp and try it, and return it to GC under a certain number of days.

11. Trevorsnackson

Trevorsnackson Member

I personally prefer the deluxe reverb over both HRD and the twin reverb. I feel like the deluxe has more character out of all of them.

bluegrif likes this.
  12. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

That's my feeling as well, having used both many times at fly-in festival shows. IME, the Hot Rod series are less common backline amps than the reissues. But maybe that's because I play blues festivals.

Several years ago, my main amps were vintage Super Reverbs. When I first started flying to festivals I thought, great, they have the reissue. I plugged in and it was a pale imitation of my Supers. So I tried the Twin and it was a much better sounding amp, but of course didn't break up at all, so I had to settle for pedal drive and lose a lot of the sound of the amp (I typically get most drive from the amp and control clean/drive with the guitar volume knob). At some point I tried the Deluxe RI and it was the best by far. Our stage volume is always pretty reasonable, and I could dial in the exact amount of power amp drive I wanted. I have been to shows where all they had were Hot Rod series amps and, while serviceable, I've always found them underwhelming. Not bad, you understand. Just not the character I enjoy. I was already very familiar with the HR Deluxe because it was the amp I used at our rehearsal room. But I'd never buy one. Honestly, if you're buying used, the best deal out there is a 70s Deluxe or Princeton. A good amp tech can make it sound much better than stock with minimal cost.

13. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I would go with the DR but the HRD can be made to sound bkackface with a very simple mod called the Twin Stack Mod. You put a jumper wire from the middle connecter to the left connecter on the back of the middle control potentiometer. It turns the EQ section into a blackface sound, big improvement IMO.

14. icanhazguitarz

icanhazguitarz Member

You're right, I meant HRD, not tthe Deluxe reverb. And I just use "lol" a lot Cuz I like laughing. I've done a lot of research, I know the hot rod deluxe is really hit and miss for people. The only one I haven't got to REALLY play is the Deluxe reverb.

15. icanhazguitarz

icanhazguitarz Member

I don't have that much money, or else I would. My budget is around $700-$800.

16. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

If you liked the twin you will probably like the HRD (6L6). Great amp and that + the DSL for the same money as the DRRI is a no brainer to me. I like the DRRI fine but it really shines for a specific sound and is a bit of a one trick pony. If thats the sound you need, get it but the other two cover a heck of a lot of ground and don't have the headroom limitations if you do need clean at a jam or playing out should that happen. That said, any combo of what you mentioned will sound great depending on what you play into it :rockin

17. 61Ephramite

61Ephramite Member

I had a '99 HRD, bought new, just sold it. Loved it, but felt the need to do something different after all these years. Bought a laptop with the money. Now's that different. The Hot Rod needs the tone stack mod, easy to do. Roll a few tubes in the preamp section to fine tune. The II and III versions addressed speaker preferences. The original is loved by some, changed by most. At $300.00 you could easily add a few dollars for a tube or two and a used speaker to end up with a great sounding, hard working amp.

I'd like to have a DRRI myself as an upgrade, but out of money right now. I'd like to do a bit better than $700.00 used though.

18. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

The hrd is maybe a little better than people think. Even the gain channel has a sweet spot or two where you can at least get a partially broken up sound. And I received a compliment from a brilliant player on my TONE, cranking the gain on the hotrod! (think I was playing melodic leads at the time) It's that old thing where a player can get a good tone out of more things than one might assume. I actually never use the clean channel on my hotrod, and get semi cleans from the dirt channel. Not saying that's best, just the way I ended up doing it. I'd never been on TGP and lrearned I wasn't supposed to.

It does take pedals extremely well.

Haven"t played that many Deluxes to help with the rest.

19. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

I think any of these modern Fender PCB amps benefit from better tubes and speakers. I think I mentioned I was doing a Canada tour a few years ago and played a DRRI the owner had tricked out with NOS tubes and a great speaker. Man, what a difference. Really sounded like an original.

I didn't intend to imply the Hot Rod series amps sound bad. They do not. I'm sure to anyone in the audience I sound the same through any of the amps mentioned. So we're really talking about personal preference, and that's something only you can decide. A lot of guys I know play Blues Juniors. I get it. They're relatively inexpensive and sound more than decent (even if they do seem a little prone to breaking down). But I bought one about 10 years ago and didn't keep it long. I thought it'd be a good rig for small rooms that would keep me from humping my Super to those venues. For me there was just something missing and that same something is missing from the larger Hot Rod series amps as well. But clearly it's something not everyone is going to miss. That said, if Fender Hot Rod series amps were the only thing available (as they have been with some backlines), I wouldn't feel like I'm having to play a bad amp. Not at all.

20. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I agree, with some love and a couple tweaks you can get some great tones out of The HRD BLD amps. This was my Limited Version III HRD amp with English Made Creamback, some really nice non micro-phonic JJ 6l6s, and some NOS preamp tubes. I replaced the grid resistors, made the "Twin Stack Mod", the Reverb Mod, replaced the speaker, and replaced the tubes and it sounded freaking awesome. I like the Limited series because they have plywood cabinets. I eventually sold this thing though as I'm a gear nut.

[​IMG]

jimijimmyjeffy likes this.