Is the DigiTech Trio+ still the best?

VinceM

Alernative ways to use Digitech Trio + beside from guitar in.

1) Do you want a backingtrack to a song you like?
Play the part from the song from aMp3/Spotify file you want to recreate. I get good results even on tracks with much going on.

If you repeat this process by seperating Intro,verse,bridge,outro into its own part. This way you may learn the whole song and you have your own backingtrack by combining tracks in any order.
I know its easy to find the chords via app or webpage but with this method the timing will be spot on and it give you many options with style,bass,tempo etc.
Learned a lot from this and helped me to understand the buildingblocks of making a song because it makes you the essential framework.
Did this with genres like reggea, hiphop and songs with difficult intros.

2) Do you know the rythm and chords of the song you want to recreate? If yes then just play the first note of each chord on the low strings. Like simple bass. Have after a while experienced that the Trio+ need mimimum first note if you have the timing. Rootnote and right timing always give you the basic canvas and then you have more options to layer.

3) New songs.
Love to play around with it and it wasnt till i used the orange colored 3/4 beats and changed the drummers approach I got full access. Then I started to record and use my tracks with other programs. And I love wjen u are stuck, and the trio get ubout of trouble. :)

4) If you have made a complete song or parts to incorporate with DAW or want this as mp3, you can do this.
- use program of choice and route the pedal via mixer or str8 to daw/recording sevice. Save each part (drum,bass,loop) on its own channel.

The files stored on MicroSD card are not seperated and the filename is unknown and unplayable.

5) For funky and bizzy Hiphop beats try playing triads fast or slow. Minor or major

Took me time to find out these solutions on my own. This great little pedal just squeeze it out of you.

I am very curious to try the Band In A BoX for PC. Looks like a great program. Been thinking to buy it for a while but I havent understood what it can and cant do yet.

Wow these are great tips - Thanks! I've had mine for a few months now and love it. My results are a bit mixed when I input a song via chord comping. You've given some good ideas I can try!

Jose Eduardo

I've always wondered why Boss never created a product to compete with the Trio. They've done the JS-5 and JS-10 so I thought a jam unit in pedal format would be a logical step.

manasquanto

Alernative ways to use Digitech Trio + beside from guitar in.

1) Do you want a backingtrack to a song you like?
Play the part from the song from aMp3/Spotify file you want to recreate. I get good results even on tracks with much going on.

If you repeat this process by seperating Intro,verse,bridge,outro into its own part. This way you may learn the whole song and you have your own backingtrack by combining tracks in any order.
I know its easy to find the chords via app or webpage but with this method the timing will be spot on and it give you many options with style,bass,tempo etc.
Learned a lot from this and helped me to understand the buildingblocks of making a song because it makes you the essential framework.
Did this with genres like reggea, hiphop and songs with difficult intros.

2) Do you know the rythm and chords of the song you want to recreate? If yes then just play the first note of each chord on the low strings. Like simple bass. Have after a while experienced that the Trio+ need mimimum first note if you have the timing. Rootnote and right timing always give you the basic canvas and then you have more options to layer.

3) New songs.
Love to play around with it and it wasnt till i used the orange colored 3/4 beats and changed the drummers approach I got full access. Then I started to record and use my tracks with other programs. And I love wjen u are stuck, and the trio get ubout of trouble. :)

4) If you have made a complete song or parts to incorporate with DAW or want this as mp3, you can do this.
- use program of choice and route the pedal via mixer or str8 to daw/recording sevice. Save each part (drum,bass,loop) on its own channel.

The files stored on MicroSD card are not seperated and the filename is unknown and unplayable.

5) For funky and bizzy Hiphop beats try playing triads fast or slow. Minor or major

Took me time to find out these solutions on my own. This great little pedal just squeeze it out of you.

I am very curious to try the Band In A BoX for PC. Looks like a great program. Been thinking to buy it for a while but I havent understood what it can and cant do yet.

Best first post ever! Some people join to publicly complain about customer service, but you showed up to blow peoples' minds! (Or at least mine!) :beer

Not Orange

If you have an iPad there are a number of drumming apps. For instance, XDrummer will listen to your strumming and then start playing a matching drum pattern from its library of drum patterns.
If you're going to go through the effort of finding backing tracks and splicing the parts together or laying everything down yourself you're better off getting a Beatbuddy. It uses MIDI files to generate a drum pattern and the files can also be edited to include a bass line.
You can load different drumset sounds from the company or even create your own or load ones from others.
They also sell patterns for the most popular songs of famous bands like Led Zeppelin, etc.
That being said I still love my Trio+

aisling

Silver Supporting Member
I love mine. My only subjective gripe, is I wish the bass had some more realistic Geezer Butler, Bob Marley, and James Brown feel. All different genres obviously but all so intertwined and interconnected via their groove awareness. But for a practice tool, simply out of this league, ala bring a lunch.

Imerkat

I'd say the competition is the Beatbuddy; it's a different approach to the same need. I have both but I think it's rare to see. The extract groove from audio feature I have had that since Ableton 8. I would say the Trio+ was better until I got the premium library. it's much easier to find a song with a beat you like and play with it.

Having both is were it's at thou. using the beatbuddy in stereo, the Bass from the Trio+ bass into amp modelling, it's just tremendous amounts of fun. Too bad the Trio+ doesn't have MIDI, this is why people still call it a toy.

biff maloy

Thread is a few months old but i have had the Trio for a few years and I'm considering an upgrade to the +.

I've been playing since the early 80s and in my opinion this is one of the absolute best inventions for a guitarist since I started. I have software for drums, DAW, etc. The problem i have is by the time i get say a drum part picked out for an idea the initial creative juices are drying up. I'm not a drummer. It is very frustrating because my ideas come from the guitar and melody. Not finding a beat that sounds cool and let me write to that. I am a pretty decent guitar player but anybody that speaks truth knows when you hear a bass player. I have a bass but it is a different mindset. Either way, aside from the fact the Trio isn't going to pump out legendary sounding drums and bass it is more than acceptable for the fact that all that gets taken care of for me so i can just do what i do best.

What i like is you have a basic idea but a lot of times for me it is through the interpretation of the Trio and how it plays its part that idea ends up in a totally different direction. A lot of times for the better. Without this box there is no way i have the time to put together an arrangement like it can spit out in a few seconds. Even though i can get better sounding drums from software and playing my bass through its gear i use the Trio into my DAW. Once i get an arrangement set ill record the drums and bass seperate and then sync them up. I can play with the audio from there. From then on I'll build any rhythm tracks, harmonies or whatever i need. I take the Trio with me as part of my rig for the one off/check this out scenarios but just about every backing track is stored on my laptop or even my cell phone for performance.

In short, yeah it can be quirky but i absolutely love this thing. Because of it, it has kept me up to playing speed for any sit ins that come along and prevented the player "die off" from seeing so many players quit as the age creeps up and boredom sets in.

CptSensible

This thing has always intrigued me, but I was put off by comments that the drums and bass are often too complicated or funky. I'm looking for basic rock beats, especially for surf and rockabilly. Not looking for bass lines that sound like something from Seinfeld. Maybe I should watch some more recent YouTube videos or try to find one at a store.

silverburstlp

This thing has always intrigued me, but I was put off by comments that the drums and bass are often too complicated or funky. I'm looking for basic rock beats, especially for surf and rockabilly. Not looking for bass lines that sound like something from Seinfeld. Maybe I should watch some more recent YouTube videos or try to find one at a store.

The + version has a button for simple bass, gives you three options, Seinfeld, simple, root, something like that.

And I have never had the drums be too complex, hit the bass button once and its golden.

biff maloy

There is some truth to the instruments over playing on parts. But, with 7 genres and 12 styles that gives 84 variations of what a player teaches it. Also the 3 parts of verse, chorus and bridge all have even more slight differences of interpretation. 3/4 and 4/4 timing and alternate play from standard as well. Although with the additional features of the + model that can simply the bass lines if needed for one thing, that is a selling point for me, i find it hard to understand how a serious player can fault it for what it does. You have a backing band that plays anytime and as many times as you want.

biff maloy

I do too and i have EZ Drummer. I have a man cave full of gear. I use the Trio. The Alternative genre bass for one thing is instant Flea style funk. EZD drums sounds better but thats about it.

ElliotG

Here is another vote for Band-in-a-box. It has a little bit of a learning curve, but just sticking to the simple stuff is easy to be productive fast. It also sounds quite good.
https://www.pgmusic.com/
On the iPhone/iPad/Mac there is a lot you can do with GarageBand, and if you have any of those devices you already have GarageBand.
On iPhone/Android/iPad - Check out iRealPro. This is a simplified band-in-a-box. https://irealpro.com/

abby_normal

I love my Trio+ but was lucky I bought the insurance as I'm now on my third one. Both previous units, after a lot of use over a year or year and a half, started getting wonky with the bass and drum output. The bass and drums would cut out intermittently and you need to turn one of the volume knobs back and forth to get them back at volume. My third unit has now started doing the same thing. Sounds like a problem with a solder joint on the output jack, but both times I've called Assurion they just gave me the cash to buy a new one. Really is too bad there won't be a version 2.0. Other than this one problem I really love the pedal and use it every time I practice alone.

biff maloy

I like my drum sounds through studio monitors better than a guitar amp.

I agree. If that's all a player has i can understand but it isn't the best sound at all. I run the Trio's stereo headphone out into my audio interface, DAW then out to monitors and sub.

I only plug my guitar into it when teaching it a riff. Once i have something i like i disconnect from it. From there i either plug into my Helix, which is my AI, when i need to keep volume down or pedalboard with any of my 50th Anniversary Marshalls and jam away.

If a have a keeper keep in mind i can manipulate the drums and bass using Helix effects for compression, eq, some reverb or whatever before all this hits the DAW and monitors. Even if its a basic jam along i always through a little something in the signal for this rhythm track.

I agree from a drums sound and manipulation stand point EZ or similar wins. The only thing is it doesnt do what i use the Trio for which it's name sake implies. Turns an at home player into a 3 piece at the very least and i haven't seen anything that beats it for that and simplicity. With some creativity using the gear i have i can over lay whatever i want to add to this basic track. Rhythm guitar, harmonies or doubled phrases, etc.

Funny how some only see it plugged into a guitar amp.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom