Is the Divided by 13 ftr37 a good amp for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by markom89, Jul 21, 2006.

1. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Hey guys I was just wondering if you guys thought this would be a good amp for my needs. As most of you already know what I need tell me what you think, if not this one, then which of the divided by 13's? I need pristine cleans, atleast a bit of OD, MUST take pedals very well, needs to be loud, and has to be good for gigging;) Some people on here have said I might want to look into komet amps. Thanks in advance guys. BTW, im trying *trying* to cut down my pedalboard...well actually make space for newer pedals, lol. Cheers.

-Marko M.

2. Jray

Jray Supporting Member

Marko, the D13 stuff is pretty awesome. I've owned a RSA 23 and a JRT 9/15. On the other hand I happen to have an amp for sale on TGP that would also fit the bill. Check it out:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=155228

Clean - YES. Takes pedals well - YES. Good tone - YES. You get the point.

I'm sure there are a number of amps that would suffice. It's going to boil down to "how does it FEEL to you when you play it?"
    Hmm, others:
    - How about the 65amps Marquee?
    - Top Hat Super Deluxe (33 watts 6L6 or EL34 w/o bias adj if it's a late model)
    - One of the other Dr Z products (aside from mine, hehehe)

If I can think of others, I'll post. It's past my bedtime...zzzzzzzzzz

3. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Thanks for the advice. Its good to know it takes all that stuff well. Its really been givving me GAS lately, and now have some extra money to spend (got my paycheck after waiting along time for it).

4. mlongano

mlongano Supporting Member

I agree with Jray...since volume is not an issue for you, there are quite a few amps that would fit the bill. The FTR37 and the Komet 60 are two of them that would work just fine.

5. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

With most of the amps you have been talking about, I don't think you will need pedals. If we were talking Fenders and you needed more gain or something ...sure. But these amps, I don't need pedals. I've never heard or played a Komet...but I assume by the price that it won't need them either.

6. Distortion

Distortion Flame Maple Fanatic Silver Supporting Member

From what you are asking for the FTR 37 would definitely meet your needs. Plus the clean channel has a great reverb. The Komet 60 might also be a nice match, but no reverb. Remember both of these amps are non master volume beasts. :D

7. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

The FTR37 is a great amp. Its cleans are great but there are other amps with a lot more clean headroom. Of the 30 amps or so that I've had in the last 5 or 6 years, the 37, while good with pedals, is no where near the top of my list when it comes to taking pedals well.

If you want really big cleans but with an amp that provides a good bit of overdrive, when needed, look at the Orange Rockerverb, the Suhr OD100 or 50. Much bigger cleans than the FTR37. The Suhr takes pedals better (ask Scott Henderson). Makoplex'll do it too.

The Komet 60 is a great, but very expensive, choice. Great cleans, takes pedals very well, killer od too. Another amp that will do what you're asking for very well--along the lines of the Komet--is the Heritage Colonial. Huge/wide, juicy Fender-like cleans but ODs like a Marshall. Hell, there are gobs of amps that'll do it.

8. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I don't think it's expensive enough for you really.. I think you should start with amps over 4000.00 for your stereo pair. That 'd be rediculous to buy cheaper ones with all the disposable money you have! Just 1 guy's view

ERIC

9. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I was going to say, the D13's are good, but they don't have the most pristine clean headroom. Suhr OD100 would be good, plus you have the option of high high gain (only if you want). Hiwatt DR103 as well.

10. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Which amps were good with pedals out of the ones you've had?

Also I forgot to mention that I would prefer the amp to have reverb since Ive been using it alot lately. And it sucks that you guys say that it doesnt have the cleanest "headroom" I really wanted a good pristine clean. How would the komet fit the bill if you took away the fact that I didnt want reverb?

11. Distortion

If you want good clean headroom with reverb check out the Divided by 13 ERT 33. Amazing cleans and a great click channel..

12. fenderbender4

Since you're looking at a Komet (pricey) a Hiwatt DR103 and a reverb unit has the three things you're looking for.

13. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Distortion- Thanks, Ill look into the ERT 33, but so what do all these people love so much about the ftr 37 if it doesnt have the best cleans? Is it the "click" channel??? I havent seen anyone on here with a ERT 33.

fenderbender- Yea that would be a cool option too, or like a Reeves custom 100...Im gonna' go play some guitar now;)

14. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

There are plenty of guys here who have or have had ERT33s. Great amp. The FTR37 does have great cleans! What I said is that it doesn't have as much clean headroom as some other, generally more powerful amps. The cleans are gorgeous, but they do start getting crunchy relatively soon. And it's a really great crunch. So what do people love about it? Well some people love those very qualities. Actually, I'd say more people love it for its reverb 'cleaner' channel than the click. I actually preferred the click channel a bit myself...but to each his own.

The amps I've found that take pedals best are often Marshall-like amps. Doug Roccaforte makes a whole line of amps that take pedals incredibly well. I've not heard a whole group of amps from one builder that take pedals better. They sound extremely good w/o pedals too, not like they need pedals to sound good, but it's really great having so many "additional channels" via a slew of pedals. :AOK You want a totally monstorously good clean amp with reverb that will overdrive exteremely well? Check out his Denelle amp too. I did a bunch of that amp on his site.

15. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

The FTR I played through had a MIA Tele through it at 1/2 power, turned 3/4 of the way up on volume. It was the most open amazing overdriven clean I've heard. It was the kind of stuff you hear in your head....but never get to realize. They really are unique. I think part of the sound is the speakers used as well.

16. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I think for me its between the ETR 33 and the FTR 37 in the /13 category. Im just worried because LeonC said that it wasnt anywhere near the top of his list of amps that take pedals well, and I really need the amp to take pedals well, thats like the main thing besides it havving a good clean.

17. JBarlow

JBarlow Member

I just demo'd an ERT 33 yesterday. With my custom tele with hotwound pickups, it had a great clean sound that would get you up to most stage volume levels when it was on the full power setting. I was very impressed with it.

18. Distortion

Not everyone believes the 37 or 33 needs to use pedals to sound great.
    I for one don't..
    If there is anyway you can play these amps live you just might change your tune about needing pedals at all.

19. fenderbender4

Just because one person doesn't like something isn't a reason to freak out. Tone is all subjective. Very Very subjective.

20. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

How much (or little) clean headroom does the 37 have? What do I need to dial the volume knob into before the slightest crunch?