• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Is the DMM still the king of dark washy ambient repeats?

christhurman

Is the DMM still the king of dark washy ambient repeats?

Any recent contenders in your opinion? I understand that digital modelers such as the Timeline can do lots of delay sounds, but I guess that's not really the answer I'm looking for :)

:knitting

tremolo3

I'd say DMB has "darker" repeats, but DMM's modulation is much better than the weird modulation in the DMB.

jdel77

Agree.
I love my old DMM.
It's clear and defined and handles gain very well.
The DM-2 is darker and warmer, but I would not describe the DMM as dark or mushy at all.

speedyone

Silver Supporting Member
I have owned a number of DMM, as well as tape echo, and maybe 20 others. My favorite delay for washy/atmospheric/dark stuff is the Maxon AD999. What is crucial to me is how a delay decays, and blends into the background, being a musical instrument unto itself.

alamere

Strange answers so far... at least in my opinion.
Yes, yes the DMM is still the king of the dark washy ambient thing in my opinion. It's certainly an instrument unto itself in some people's hands.. faaaaantastic!

orogeny

Gold Supporting Member
weird to hear it called dark
it's probably the brightest analog delay there is

christhurman

I guess I just meant dark because it's an analog dela... Not necessarily dark compared to other analog delays.

If you're looking for something dark and ambient, I'd probably go for two carbon copy's. They're a really dark delay and I'd bet that one running into the other with pretty long delay times and repeats would be pretty washy/spacey

ufo~

yeah but they can be had between $40-80 used. An absolute steal for this pedal. I'd pay much more if I had to.

Coldacre

the AD-999 is the king of washy ambient delay. the DMM is a little crisper and cleaner.

dB

Silver Supporting Member
I just picked up a Belle Epoch. It's the first delay I have owned that I think is capable of mixing/decaying in the same way that a good DMM does. Really an inspiring and musical pedal, which is exactly what I've always liked about the DMM.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom