Is the DRRI congenitally thin on top?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Curly, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Curly

Curly Member

I have an early blonde DRRI that I bought new around '93/94.
    It sounded great new. Over the years, it got more finicky, and now never seems to sound good to me.

After the umteenth speaker change yesterday, I resigned myself to the fact that it's the amp, not the speaker that's the problem.

It doesn't seem consistent low to high, and when switching to single note lines, the highs seem very thin, one-dimensional, and lack harmonics.

I'm not a newb to tweaking and maintaining amps, but I've tried several things -- new tubes, rebiasing -- and I'm about to give up on this amp.

One thing I haven't done is clip the "bright cap", but the amp sounded fine new, so I never did this.

So my question is, has anyone had a similar problem, and either solved the problem or just given up?

Thanks kindly in advance

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    If you've had the amp for that long and haven't replaced any tubes, that would be the first thing I'd investigate.

3. Rapmaster

Rapmaster Member

What guitar/effects are you using?

4. Curly

Curly Member

thanks kindly

thanks Mike ... I know that you've had some good advice on this amp before, especially regarding biasing.

I've tried several different tubes, but I'll take your advice and revisit that. I have a fairly good stash of newer and NOS pre and power tubes.

I've tried Mazda NOS and newer JJ power tubes, but went back to something closer to the original Sovteks, 'cause they seemed to break up sooner. I'd use some RCAs, but I'm saving them for my '56 Deluxe. :)

I'll give it another shot, and check the bias in the process.

well, when testing an amp, I go straight in, no effects

I tested it yesterday with a tele which sounds great through my other amps. I may give it another shot with a strat, which is what I used when I bought the amp ... In fact, I bought an AS strat and the amp together because it was such a good sounding combo.

after being disappointed with the DRRI, I plugged the tele into my Vicky Double Deluxe ... it sounded great, so I know it's not the guitar.
    This tele sounds good, and reacts in a pretty organic way through both my tweed Deluxe and the Vicky, but I can't get past the weak highs on the DRRI.

I won't bore you with the number of different speakers I've tried. Yesterday, I tried a Cannabis Rex in place of a G12H30 -- both known for good bottom response, but again, the highs were lacking.

5. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I have a DRRI, recent blonde, with the stock Jensen P12Q alnico. I also changed the tubes with a mix of NOS Mullard and reissue Tung Sol I got from Blue Strat (Mike, KCA tubes). No other mods. Biased to 19ma (a conservative value). The top end sounds rich and nuanced with either my SSS strats or my tele which is single coil bridge-minibucker neck. It has a farty bottom at higher volumes but this is typical of BF Deluxe reverbs. I'd carefully choose tubes and rebias. A complete tube change with Tung Sol reissue 6V6 and 12AX7 and NOS Mullard 12AT7 will be the same cost as a middle of the road speaker.

6. Curly

Curly Member

thanks, I'll try some tubes

I love the P12Q RIs .. didn't know they were using those stock. Some folks think ceramic speakers have a tighter bottom, but the trade off is a less vocal tone, IMO.

7. Brien

Brien Member

Yes, they're thin on top.

8. epluribus

epluribus Member

IMHO a Tele into any Deluxe ought to sound terrific--it's one of my all-time favorite rigs. If it's changed over time, I'd bet on component drift somewhere inside. I'd run it to a tech--it'll beat the price of speakers.

--Ray

9. radiohedzz

radiohedzz Member

I play a telecaster into a blonde 90's DRRI as well. Have you tried the normal channel on the amp?

On the vibrato channel, the sound is thin especially on the top strings. That is why I play exclusively on the normal channel. The normal channel sound is fatter with more harmonics but still has that Fender sparkle without the icepick brittleness. Because of the fuller sound, I find I don't miss the reverb as much. And I would rather get reverb externally as the in amp reverb can get splashy very quickly.