1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is the Dunlop Uni-vibe worth buying or is Fulltone where it's at?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Stephens, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Stephens

Stephens Member

I've been checking in to a vibe unit and have it narrowed down to the Dunlop Uni-vibe with the foot controller or the Fulltone Deja-2. I like the idea of having a foot controller for the speed instead of having to turn a knob. Tone-wise, is the Fulltone much more superior than the Dunlop? Thanks in advance for any input!

2. guitartech72

guitartech72 Member

3. stratofied

stratofied Member

+1 on the Mojo Vibe.

4. edwinhong

edwinhong Member

Dunlop Uni Vibe is good but has noise

5. rodr55

rodr55 Member

+1 on the Mojo Vibe.

6. guitartech72

guitartech72 Member

Get them too close to a strong power source, they all have noise.

7. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Mojovibe or Prescription Vibe Unit. both kill the dunlop.

8. amper

amper Member

The Fulltone unit sound quite a bit better than the Dunlop. The Dunlop seems to have more of a midrange sound, where the Fulltone seems to have more bass and treble.

As far as the Sweet Sound unit is concerned, it's also a very nice sounding unit (far better than the Dunlop), but the Fulltone integrates the controller, where the Mojo Vibe requires an external controller, like the Dunlop. This may be of importance to you.

I also really like the Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe, but there's no ability to attach a speed controller. Of course, it's also a lot cheaper, so YMMV...

9. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I would go with the Fulltone!

10. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Yep. Fulltone = quality!

11. modoc

modoc Guest

I could never get the volume to sit right with the mojo??? I'm looking at other options at present also...

12. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

There are lots of really great Univibe pedals out there, but I wouldn't count the Dunlop among them. The Deja Vibe, Mojo Vibe, PE Vibe Unit, Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe, and Foxrox Pro Vibe (in the CC2) are all great. Totally different league...

13. Robzilla

Robzilla Member

the MJM Vibe is also nice :)

14. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

best one for me and I have owned the mojo and the prescription and every version of the fulltone as well as the dunlop new and older versions.

Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe Jr.

Hands down

15. mesabooger

mesabooger Member

I've heard some people like the sound of the Dunlop more, but like said above it has some noise issues. If you are spending that much on a pedal I would go with the higher quality of the Mojo or the Deja. Of course, my fav is in the Captain Coonut. I wish Dave Fox would re-issue the Pro-vibe in a stand alone unit.

16. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I owned an original UniVibe until recently. The Fulltone Mini Deja-Vibe I own got 95% close, but didn't have the low end sweep/warmth the original had. But I tweeked the Fulltone until it was almost the same. Side by side I could hear the difference, but I've had people compliment me on my UniVibe sounds live. The other one that I've heard is a good one is Prescription Electronic's Vibe Unit. I have no complaints about the Fulltone and have no plan on getting rid of it.

17. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

+1 That's what I have!!

18. GreenTea

GreenTea Member

Sweetsound UltraVibe or the newer MojoVibe. I compared my UV to a Fulltone; went for the Sweetsound and never looked back.

19. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

After listening to all of the clips I think the uni-vibe sounds the best. And that's what I'd go with. And I dig the control pedal. Not to mention I really like Trower's early stuff.

20. moodog

moodog Member

Yeah, I own a first run Fulltone Mini Deja-Vibe (came in aluminum box not painted) and this thing rocks. Sounds like total Hendrix/Trower.

My friend bought a newer one with the paint job and the steel box and it sucks. It's a lot more noisy and the tone is just not on the money.

I think I got a "custom shop" version that they put some time into. The painted ones (Mini Deja-Vibe) might be mass produced factory jobs. They stock his stuff in Guitar Center these days so I'm sure the quality has gone down in order to keep up with demand. I would pass on the painted ones.

There's a guy that makes them (I forget his name I think
    Prescription Electronics) and makes them great. I owned one of his units before and sold it to get the Mini Deja-Vibe. They sounded almost identical. I got rid of the other guys because it took up to much space on my pedal board. I've read that he now makes them in a smaller box. I would go with his version. Sorry to have forgot his name. You can ask him if he used to make them bigger with an AC chord. Mine was Orange with an AC chord.