is the dyna comp as good as its cracked up to be?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by britishampsrock, Feb 1, 2006.

1. britishampsrock

britishampsrock Member

i want to fatten my sound a little.

2. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

talk to cmatmods.com about letting him make you a clone of a script dyna comp. I have one and they are awesome!

3. drolling

drolling Member

For the 'classic' chicken-pickin sound, there's nothing quite like an original 70s script-logo DynaComp- the RI sounds OK, but nothing like the original. The above mentioned clone sounds like a better bet than current MXR product.

BTW, there's even a *standard* setting- 3:00 & 9:00 gives you that combination of boost & compression that you hear on all those great Nashville recordings. Of course, as someone pointed out last time this came up, a telecaster & blackface fender amp are equally important to this equation..

4. ABKB

ABKB Member

Might want to consider the Super-comp as well. I got one and have always been thrilled with the results. From what I know it is basically a DC with some more control over it. Fattens my signal up quite nicely. Dont know about the Dynacomp though.

5. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

Personally, I don't really care for what DC's do to your tone, but lots of people do. I searched for a long time for a compressor that doesn't give you a "fake" sounding, peizo-like tone. I've finally settled on the Demeter Compulator, it's modeled after the old LA2A studio compressors. It's really clear and true to your original tone, but if you're looking for that classic quack, look elsewhere.

6. cheng&eng

cheng&eng Member

I have a script-logo DC & actually prefer it to the keeley comp.
    it's much more lo-fi than the keeley & not TB
    but, it seems more natural to me
    I always felt like the keeley messed with my attack & I could not dial that out.
    I like compressors to bring up the "jangle"
    in other words - to work as an "effect" rather than smooth out or correct flaws in my playing
    I was looking at a janglebox for awhile
    then I read that Roger Mcguinn had a dynacomp installed into his rickenbacker 12 string (before he endorsed the Janglebox)
    go figure

7. Memorex

Memorex Member

The circuit in the Rick 360-12 RM was very close to a Dynacomp, with a switch to change the treble rolloff in the compressor feedback loop. In the rolled off position, there is less compression of the high end, so it sounds more trebly on the initial attack. I'm going to build a BYOC RossComp in few weeks, and that's one of the mods I'm going to do it. I'll post a report on it when I have it finished and working.

8. gururyan

gururyan Member

I have and use my '77 DC, really like it. I've had it for a long time, I never feel the need to look for different comp. It's real smooth and natural sounding, perfect...simple...built like a tank. It's my good ol' reliable DC.

9. DirtyChains

DirtyChains Member

I have a late 70's "block logo" DC. I did an A/B test with one of my buddy's script logo DCs and neither of us could tell the difference. Are they indeed the same circuit? Mine has no power jack or LED.

10. alnico2

alnico2 Member

Have an old block logo DC and it is great for country picken and slide.
    The 3 o'clock 9 o'clock settings get that classic sound as stated above.

11. alberob

alberob Member

I bought my dyna comp new from Gracins Music when it first came out for 70 bucks around 30 years ago.It was the better part of a weeks pay so you know I loved it.I still do.Iown at least 6 other compressors and none had ever eclipsed it.But lately I have been unfaithfull with a BJF compressor.I still love the MXR but the BJF is other worldly. F**king Magic.In retrospect it cost me less of salary then the MXR did.Everything is relative.

12. erksin

erksin Member

The 90's reissue I had sucked - I'd definitely avoid one of the newer ones with all the other choices out there...

13. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I bought a new reissue and hated it. I sent it to Analogman for his CompRosser mod and now I use it a lot. It's right up there with my Keeley and AYA R Comp.

14. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Come on now jakeddy!

"It's right up there with my Keeley and AYA R Comp"

You don't think we're letting you get away with that do you! Compare and contrast please.

15. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

All I can say is before it squished the tone in a way that I didn't like. Now it is simular to the others in that it does what it does without being as noticed when it's on. On a scale of 1-10, I'd say the Keeley and the AYA would be solid 8's or so (to me), the Dyna reissue before the mod would have been a 1-2 (to me). Now after the mod it's very near the others in function and tone. It's down side if it's a down side, it's not true bypass, it's "cheaper" in constuction and it passes more highs through than either the Keeley or the AYA but I find it very usable in comparison to the others.

I guess I should share how I use a comp though, I set them for moderate compression and with a volume boost and only for cleans. An example would be the Keeley with the Sustain on 11:00 and the Volume on 1:00 (simular on the AYA), for me the Dyna settings would be Vol 3:00 and Sustain at 9:00 or little less max.

Your results may vary, this is just what works for me.

In fairness, the AYA does higher compression better than either the Keeley or the CompRosser but to disregaurd the modded reissue wouldn't be fair.

16. johnny q

johnny q Member

+1 for the Super Comp. Noisy as hell (my boss Noise Gate takes care of that) but has really added a new dynamic to my crunch sound. Has an additional control than the Dyna Comp which helps you avoid losing the dynamics of your pick attack. Good deal for the price, although I am certain it is probably not on par with the Barber or Keely models.

JQ

17. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

Some of the earlier block logo are the same, and use the panasonic 2SC1849 transistors. We can mod the later block logo ones that use little generic transistors, with the 2SC1849, matched and tested for noise, and add true bypass and optionally LED and or power jack. We call that our script logo mod, it's not really the Ross mod but uses the same transistors. That makes an awesome little comp for not too much $$. Have fun!