Is the echoczar worth 6 months wait?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nook, Oct 24, 2005.

1. nook

nook Guest

Hi,
    lookin' for a great analog delay around $650-$700. Is this echoczar worth the wait of 6 months, or should i pick up the Moogerfooger? I need a delay for lots of percussion, vocal, and drum work. Pretty much anything but guitar, so the echoczar seems to fit the bill really well. Are there any other delays that work well at line levels...

-thanks

2. nook

nook Guest

well, i can only afford one and i guess the answer is yes too, but is there alot more the echoczar has to offer than the moog? that is the question.

3. threm

threm Member

As much as I love the Echoczar I don`t know if that would be my first choice for "Pretty much anything but guitar" as you say.

Is it for live playing or recording?
    Do you need it to be small (a pedal)?
    How many ms do you need?
    Fidelity?
    Modulation?
    Other features?

Many of the features of the Echoczar are aimed at a live setting. If it`s mainly for recording purposes and you really want analog you could do with something quite basic. I would look at some of the great older analog rack units like

Yamaha E1010
    Ibanez AD202
    Ibanex AD230 6-700ms

Both the E1010 (has four MN3005 chips) and the AD202 can be tweaked for quite a bit longer delay times than the official 300ms.

BUT with disposable $650-$700 you are well into tape delay prices and close to a used Fulltone TTE.

4. nook

nook Guest

Hi,
    well i need it for both live and recording. I sent an email tonight to ED to put me on the list for the echoczar and angelbaby. I figure I can always sell it if i don't thoroughly enjoy it.

5. Spencer Smith

Spencer Smith Member

i've used the echoczar in a home recording situation
    and it seems to work well on synths and vocals.
    haven't used it for percussive elements though.

6. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

Well, what would your delay applications for percussion, vocal, and drum work be? Have you narrowed your uses to strictly analog, and do you plan to print ambience as you track?

Echoczar is all over my pop band's record-in-progress, and the Powerglide trem is integral to one cut. I'm not a fan of adding delay at mixdown, and I prefer the tonal character of printing a great analog delay to media, as merging with a great tube amp; in this respect, Echoczar is the best that I've encountered. I've used it with 6 & 12-string electrics, baritone guitar, Nashville-tuned "high-strung" guitar. For a recent Strat track, I needed delay feedback to drone and play well (in a cool, weird fashion) with an accordian track, and the 'Czar was the ticket, as auditioned versus other contenders from the delay stable. Also on the CD's tracks are, to a lesser extent, Maxon AD-900 & Line 6 DL-4.

As for live [6 string guitar] use, this unit has been used to great effect with all three of my current full band working projects (indie rock, Americana, alt. country, for lack of better descriptors).

7. nook

nook Guest

i plan to use it with my saw, tongue drums, harp and bells live and in the studio. I definitely like to mess with all the ambient swells and drones too. The long delay time and analog character are the most important things for me.

8. threm

threm Member

Tim,
    cool to hear about your use of the Echoczar in the studio!
    I have only tried it on vox and allthough fun as an effect I usually prefer a delay with some wider bandwith for that purpose.

About bandwith and Nooks quest for a delay;
    ideally one of us Eczar owners should give him some feedback on how the Echoczar keeps up wither higher frequency based sounds like bells etc., especially on the longer delay times.

Depending on ears and taste it might be the coolest sound on this side of the stratosphere OR one might be bothered about lack of fidelity and noise issues.

9. nook

nook Guest

thanks for your replies. Well, i like noisy feedback, so if that's the case i am not bothered at all. I like it when the dirt acumulates. What has drawn me to the czar is the versatility. It seems to cover much more ground (specially with the angelbaby) than the Moog. I look for the day when i can delay modulate my vibraphone.

10. threm

threm Member

Seems like the Echoczar wants to be your friend then. :)

11. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

Thanks threm! As usual, you raise some excellent points. My reference is mostly toward electric fretted instruments. Nonetheless, I like having options at my disposal. As hinky as I've found the Line 6 DL-4 to be for live use, it does in fact offer a "greatest hits" package of delay usage, and I couldn't imagine going to a session without it - it does stuff that my other units won't do. As much as I hate the sound of (even the high end) digital outboard time-based effects gear, as superimposed at mixdown on electric guitar tones, it does have its place, particularly with cleanish tones. For vocals and such, I'm perfectly cool with such, and often prefer it. However, I wouldn't hesitate to call on the 'Czar, should a spooky, dare-I-say-it, "lo-fi" vibe be needed for the sound of a voice.

Nook, it would seem that you are going for some very cool sounds and textures there. Regarding drones and such, I can think of no analog or digital delay unit that I'd personally choose above the Echoczar, but that's just one guy's spin.