Is the Eternity or Klon worth trying?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pullagnm, Jun 16, 2006.

1. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

I was wondering if the Eternity or the Klon was worth trying from the list of pedals I've gone through?

Timmy
    Zendrive
    Rat (80's)
    Blue Boy Deluxe
    Blackstone
    Sparkle Drive (Keeley mod)
    Direct Drive SS (clear blues mode)
    Fulldrive II
    TS-9 (origanal)
    TS-808 (original)
    Bad Monkey
    Screamin Blues
    Tonebone Classic
    Boss DS-1
    Hot Cake
    Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive

I've been addicted to overdrive since I started reading The Gear Page. :eek:
    The ones that I've been using on my main board are: LDO-BBD-Timmy-Zendrive, and the two pedals I use when I don't take my pedalboard are the Hot Cake, and the Rat. I use Strats, a Les Paul, and a Flying V. Into a Deluxe Reverb RI, and a ADA Rocket A20R.

2. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Im a big fan of the Hotcake and the Rat, and I highly recommend trying a CARB. Very similar to Klon, though half the price, half the size, and very stackable with Hotcake.....

3. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

4. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

What is the CARB? I'm not sure what this stands for.

5. RickB

RickB Member

In a word, yes. I would say you owe it to yourself to try an Eternity. It has qualities to it that I have not found in other pedals. It has a wide gain and tone range and reacts to your volume knob equally as well at all settings. It also has a distinct "feel" to it. Mine along with my Skreddy Screw Driver has become my OD of choice.

6. mgrier1

mgrier1 Silver Supporting Member

Sure they are... If but for the simple reason that if you don't like them you can sell them for as much or more than you paid for them...

7. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I don't know about the Klon personally, but regarding the Eternity I would say yes. There are some pedals that do a lot of the things it does, but none of them do all the things the E does. I know that is not that helpful, but it is hard to put into words the differences.
    The Eternity has a sweet sustain to the notes and maintains good articulation. It adds some nice gain and colors the sound, yet it also retains the integrity of the tone of the guitar I am using with it. I loved it with my strats and tele, but after I tried it with my 335 I was sold.

8. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

The KLON is a great pedal, like the Timmy for pushing a good tube amp into overdrive. It complements my tone nicely...

9. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

+1 to that. I use a Klon as an OD (unlike many who only use it as a clean boost). Best I've ever heard for what I do, bar none. The Klon will not and should not be all things to all people, but it definitely works for me. And, as is stated above, the worst thing that could possibly happen is that you'll get all of your money back if you don't like it. :AOK

I say go for it. I haven't tried Eternity, so I will recommend it for the fact that most on TGP seem to like it, and if it's not for you, flip it and get your money back. The Klon I will recommend without reservation, especially if you are "addicted to overdrive."

Cheers,

Doc :BEER

10. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

The Klon is nice. Played one. Never owned one.

The Eternity is HOLY. I once had two on my board at the same time. Its the most amazing, organic, versatile OD I've ever head.

11. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

love the eternity! GO FOR IT!

12. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

I've been intrigued by the Eternity since I joined here. LN, what did you like about it better than the Klon? What does it do that the Klon doesn't? And I don't mean that in a Harmony Central-style "which one is better" kinda way, either. Those questions are meant to be useful TGP-style questions. I've just never gotten to play through an Eternity, but am interested in knowing more about it.

Best,

Doc :)

13. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

The Eternity just sounds "real." At the same time it doesn't just sound like a turned up my amp either. It imprints onto my sound, but does so like I SWITCHED an amp, or ADDED an amp. Hope that helps.
    The built-in treble booster is great. There's no way I need the same setup for my Strat as I do my PRSCU22. Quick turn of one knob and I can get those two guitars to sound exactly the same.
    I've used it everyway imaginable. The gain down low its a juicy breaking-up tone, bluesy and ballsy. Gain cranked and you get a nice chunk going. But it always retains what you're playing. There's always definition and a depth to your tone, that I haven't found with hardly any other pedals (Skreddy Screw Drive IS one with depth also).
    The Klon was, IMO, just a really nice booster. I've never owned one, so my experience is nowhere near as intimate as with the Eternity, but I never fooled around with the gain on that pedal.

14. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

15. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

gaspedal

16. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

How does the Eternity compare to the COT50? I've been amassing a bunch of OD's over the last year annd wanted to try one of Sean's pedals.

I had my eye set on the COT50, but from the description of the Eternity, I am now considering this too!

Brian

17. michael dukes

michael dukes Member

18. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I'm a DIEHARD Timmy fan.

The Eternity is the first pedal that I'd say equals it. Definately try it.

Klon, I'd pass on. You got it covered with the Timmy.

19. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

I do like the Timmy. How does it equal it, or differ from it?

20. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I am not even gonna respond to this thread!

D'oh!

PS Trumpus you haven't tried one yet!! This is TGP brotha you better get your priorities straight!! You are really missing out on the fun till you have tried a COT and Eternity!!