Is the Eventide H9 still worth it in 2019?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dotpc, Aug 13, 2019 at 11:50 PM.

Tags:
  1. dotpc

dotpc Member

I have a Helix and AA6, but I'd like to add some spice here and there, is the H9 still a worthy investment? I know it got a new algo last month, but how much more life does it have in it? Is there a better option in that price range?

undeadxundead likes this.
  2. Gear Ears 4 Years

Gear Ears 4 Years Member

If you like the Factor Series or H9 specific sounds then it's absolutely worth it.
    Eventide is clearly still supporting the format, so why not?
    I think the real question is how many algorithms you need which would indicate which model is best for you.
    Nothing's kicked it off my board yet...

3. See3po

See3po Member

You have a lot of digital based platforms already. If you really want to spice things up, get something your Helix and AA6 absolutely can’t do. Like the CBA MOOD or something.

4. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

I had the Modfactor, Timefactor, and Space pedals long before the H9 came out. Still on my touring board. No need for an H9, let alone 3.

5. dotpc

dotpc Member

Thanks for the feedback, the MOOD does look neat, but I don't use delay much, and have a ton of loopers already. The H9 interests me for the Reverb, Pitch, and Mod effects, which sound stellar from the demos I have heard, and most importantly, unique.

ciclosonico and undeadxundead like this.
  6. lxm

lxm Member

Best all in one.... by a landslide imo. I have two

mqqse and dotpc like this.
  7. Shadowfax2112

Shadowfax2112 Member

I don't have a helix so not sure all that it can do but the H9 does many things and does them well. I have 2 and use them for delay, reverb, rotary, harmonizer, whammy (with expression), modulation, fuzz, etc... For a cover band situation it's an awesome tool as it just seems to do all those sounds I don't want to buy a specific pedal for (oh, forget it has an excellent talk box effect as well).

dotpc likes this.
  8. undeadxundead

undeadxundead Member

Hey man in the same boat here, I am reconfiguring my pitchshifters, harmonizers and reverbs, seems like the H9 Reverb algorithms are worth checking out, I don’t think there is anything similar when it comes to Pitchfactor, but you could buy a hodge-poge of Pitchshifter fx for the cost, I do know it won’t do Polyphonic so for that Pog, Pithfork, Whammy, PS6, etc.

Being in the same boat as you with the Pitch, Reverbs, etc I would definitely read over the manual and see if you would like to incorpate it into your existing rig. I know I would like to but I am having trouble validating the cost, when there’s so much out there.

Oh I have a MOOD, buy it for the Granualar effects, as I feel Darkworld has killer Reverb options, I don’t own one but have heard nothing but good things about it, compact dual reverbs, really unique.

MOOD is crazy good fun, definitely add it but don’t expect it to replace a those standard effects, it does what it does extremely well.

Back to H9, I suppose it’s really up to the rig your running.

Thanks for posting this as I had the same curiousity.

dotpc likes this.
  9. Johnny Fuzz

Johnny Fuzz Member

I would have bought an H9 a hundred times already if it only could do multiple effects at once. But, since you can’t have, say, flanger, delay and reverb on at the same time, forget it.

10. magnus02

magnus02 Member

For pitch and reverb I'd say it definitely still holds up. If not on top of the pile.

Empress Zoia may be an option if you like programming and buttons.

dotpc likes this.
  11. joshofsorts

joshofsorts Supporting Member

I haven't used a Helix or AA6, so I can't make a comparison, but I recently rebought an Eventide H9 MAX after replacing one with analog effects & individual pedals. I thought the individual pedals would a) allow me to have analog tones that I could dial with simpler physical controls b) allow more stacking. After a short time I realized that stacking 8-9 pedals often sounded muddy, and wasn't really something I would use for more than wanking anyway. I also started to miss the flexibility of having that wildcard effect on my board & all the crazy and unusual effects it can do. Also, presets! So, some of those excellent individual pedals (Chase Bliss Gravitas, Red Panda Particle 2...) got the boot for a new H9 MAX.

Besides the weird algorithms (Harpaggiator, Resonator, Tremoloverb, Mangleverb, Blackhole, etc), all the pretty normal algorithms can be pushed to some pretty creative and strange places. It is worth poking around the Eventide forums for posts by a member who goes by Brock. He dives deep into many of the algorithms and shows how you can twist them into all sorts of unique shapes.

To sum up, the H9 is the only digital pedal left on my board (besides a Ditto looper), and I just can't seem to get rid of it...

It sounds like you have the more standard analog-type emulations covered, which is what Eventide doesn't do as well, so the H9 might be a good fit if you want something different to add to the mix.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 3:55 PM
    dotpc and ciclosonico like this.
  12. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

There are different versions of the H9. Can someone give a simple difference between them? Thanks!

13. musicallyinclined81

musicallyinclined81 Member

3 models actually...

H9 Core
    H9 Standard
    H9 Max

Link is below so you can see the differences.. it's basically what comes pre-installed out of the box for each.. Price difference for each as well..

Some users may not need all of the algorithms from an H9 Max and are happy with a Standard or a Core, but Eventide still gives you the flexibility to upgrade any of the 2 to a Max.

https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/stompboxes/multi-effect-processor/h9

[​IMG]

John Hurtt likes this.
  14. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

One slight addition to what @musicallyinclined81 said:
    The hardware is identical, it's only the software that is different.

John Hurtt likes this.
  15. Tzirfigu

Tzirfigu Member

I have 2 h9s. I like them, but then i got this re 201 roland space echo and can say there is no way the h9 tape delay sounds nearly close (but digital delay is great). The chorus is like meh (i already have this dimension c waza which i think is better). And im in the market for a tremolo (gas is hard with the effectrode on reverb).
    However i only play at home so dont need convinience. Reverbs on h9 are out of this world, just love them so much.

Oh and this: the phaser sounds really good but kind of digital, far from that evh analog vibe tone).

All IMHO

undeadxundead and John Hurtt like this.
  16. John Hurtt

Thanks, this was exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated!

17. John Hurtt

Thanks as well!

18. joshofsorts

One other thing to consider when picking a model - if you buy additional algorithms for a Core or Standard H9 and you decide to resell the pedal later on, those algorithms are not transferable to the buyer's account, only the algorithms that originally came with the pedal. If you have a MAX or a Core or Standard that has been "Max'd Out" then all algorithms will transfer to the buyer. Also, if you own a MAX and a Core (or Standard), all the algorithms of the MAX are usable on the Core (or Standard) as long as both are linked to the same account.

John Hurtt likes this.
  19. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

The H9 especially the MAX or MAX'd out versions are incredible studio tools. The kitchen sink if you will. I've however tried to implement them in this way twice and came up with the same conclusion both times... they don't work for my creative flow either in coming up with ideas or being called upon to get sounds by a producer etc... I love the iOS compatibility, I love the amount of sounds that are in the H9 but never truly find it perfect in those moments.

If you spend a lot of time dialing in specific sounds like any multi-processor I'm sure it can work easier, but for me the H9 on both occasions of owning the MAX version as well, just ended up wasting a lot of time messing with sounds and trying to dial in something for a part.

I also found that since I'm doing a lot of my own sessions, running plugins for ambient reverbs and delays sounds much better post amplifier than before it.

My 2 cents. I know lots of guys who love them for the kitchen sink though... just not for me.

undeadxundead and John Hurtt like this.
  20. joshofsorts

Also forgot to mention that @ciclosonico has been doing some great demos lately of different H9 algorithms.

apalazzolo, 4b454e and dotpc like this.