Is the Eventide H9 still worth it in 2019?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by dotpc, Aug 13, 2019 at 11:51 PM.

Tags:
  1. dotpc

dotpc Member

I have a Helix and AA6, but I'd like to add some spice here and there, is the H9 still a worthy investment? I know it got a new algo last month, but how much more life does it have in it? Is there a better option in that price range?

2. Robot B9

Robot B9 Member

It’s a great sounding unit. If you’re buying to possibly resell, I wouldn’t do it. I sold mine last year for an HX Effects. I’m very happy with it and don’t miss the H9.

PBGas, C-4 and dotpc like this.
  3. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Silver Supporting Member

I wouldn’t get it unless you specifically want a signature sound (like Blackhole) from it. Or one of its harmonizers

yeky83, JiveTurkey and dotpc like this.
  4. dotpc

dotpc Member

I am not in the resell game, this would be to keep. Seems the effects offer something different than what I have, although the Helix obviously has lots of potential to approximate some of the sounds.

Robot B9 likes this.
  5. Robot B9

Robot B9 Member

I understand. Something different is always good. I love my Helix, HX Stomp and HX Effects, but I will say the reverbs and harmonizers on the H9 are better. The H9 is great little unit, but it’s shortcomings are one effect at a time and their distortions/fuzzs are horrible.

dotpc likes this.
  6. mousepunk

mousepunk Member

As a long time user of the M5+H9 combo, I think the H9 is a great addition to Helix. Helix+H9 covers pretty much all effects you could demand these days.

I have just replaced my JHV3 modded M5 with HX Stomp. Don't know if it's fair to want something else :)

dotpc likes this.
  7. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

This right here. Otherwise; used FX8 or HXFX all day.

yeky83 likes this.
  8. dotpc

dotpc Member

Does anyone see Eventide replacing the H9 soon?

mrpingua likes this.
  9. speedobreedo

speedobreedo Supporting Member

When you're looking for that one sound that you can't get anywhere else then the H9 comes up with something. Yes, you can get most of the same sounds with modelers but I find it's still full of surprises and the quality is superb. Can't see why they'd ever replace it as it's always upgradeable.

dotpc likes this.
  10. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

Just my $.02, but I think the helix has plenty of spice in it when you want something weird or different especially when you start combining the filter models with delays, verbs, and drives.

I really like some of the H9 sounds, but I just don’t think it’s worth what they charge for it given it’s extremely limited functionality.

D

11. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I was about to purchase an H9, but the Line 6 HX FX came out and I bought that instead, and glad I did!
    Easier to use, more effects available at the same time and a great sounding unit.

12. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

Annnnnnnnnnnd footswitches.

dmock66 likes this.
  13. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    If the H9 came in the same format as the HX FX, I would have to consider it. But, it doesn't ,so that ends that.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  14. rustolium

rustolium Member

I think of the H9 as an essential tool. The only time I would not want one in-line is when I have the H9000 fired up. Any other setup big or small would have one or two. It's actually a fantastically versatile and powerful pedal by itself. Wired up in 4CM with an expression pedal it could be the only pedal you need considering certain limitations. On a board, it provides you some stuff you just can't really get anywhere else. For the space it takes up it is hugely valuable. So, IMO, yes it is still very much worth it.

dotpc, Orville71, ejecta and 2 others like this.
  15. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

As a current ownr of the H9, I love it and hate it. Sounds amazing, literally the dumbest and poorest executed design and melding of hardware and software ever conceived.

Imerkat, ejecta, BillTrantos and 4 others like this.
  16. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

Yea, I had the Space and Delay factor. Lots of options to use live. They need to make a bigger one, or just make it mini and go all midi.

PaisleyWookie likes this.
  17. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

A two-up H9 would be great, IF they brought the editors into the 2010's.

MixMinisterMike likes this.
  18. veus55

veus55 Silver Supporting Member

I still love my H9, love being able to use my iphone to tweak the presets and being able to load setlists from my phone

19. WBellman

WBellman Supporting Member

Agreed. I had really high hopes and was let down because of how much it colored the sound when off, the whole buying blocks of FX and none of them cover a wide range of the basic FX itself - too much ear candy stuff - and the units UI is clunky enough that you almost have to use a mouse and the software to make quick changes while jamming.

yeky83 likes this.
  20. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Silver Supporting Member

So yeah...I left that part out because I hurt people’s feelings in the past :)

I had two H9’s on my board to use for delay, Mod and heavy verbs.
    I didn’t have them “always on” and they messed with my tone and they didn’t play well with some of my fuzzes.
    Even when I had it on, the blend was usually set low. The dry sound was really different.

But a lot of guys I worked with back then never turned theirs off and also had the blends pretty high and it sounded fine.

yeky83 likes this.