Is the EVM12L Zakk Wilde Black Label same as the old EVM12L?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lv, Feb 10, 2008.

1. lv

lv Supporting Member

Are these the same?

If not, does anyone know where I might be able to get any nos EVM12Ls, or even used ones?

Thanks

2. lv

lv Supporting Member

3. scottl

scottl Member

Hi Lou,

Give me a buzz. 856-489-3434

And, yes, the classic is their reissue of the venerable EVM12L. I have one. The Zakk is supposedly the same as well. Just relabled and called a 300watt speaker since that sounds more powerful.

4. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I have an original sitting in an old Music Man 1/12 combo, sounds KILLER with the TwoRocks and Fuchs. I dig the TwoRock 1/2 cab with their regular 65 speaker slightly more for overdrive, slightly less for cleans. :AOK

5. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Supporting Member

It's apparently not the same speaker as the 200-W version, heard from a few sources, including EV contact. It looks the same (same basket likely), but the voice coil and (possibly) cone are different.

Go for the classic. Sounds great, virtually un-blowable, and they did get it right on this one. Wish it was lighter weight, but no-free lunches in speakers or transformers guys.

Old 12-L's pop up on E-bay quite a bit. I've bought from 50 to 150 in the past, prior to EV making the Classic.
    Watch out for 12-S and 12-M, which are short and medium throw, not long throw like the L's.

Some SRO's are the same as 12-L's. The ones with the ribbed (for your pleasure) magnet covers. That was more marketing, than functional.

6. lv

lv Supporting Member

Thanks for the info Andy, a classic it is then.

7. james russell

james russell Silver Supporting Member

Hey Guys,

I've got a Mesa Boogie 1-12" cabinet from about 1990 that has a Black Shadow speaker made by EV in it. I've always wondered what the exact model was. Could any of you identify the speaker? It says 200 watt, and also EVM on the label. How do I find out if it's a 12 L, a 12 s, or a 12 M?
    Any one know what Boogie was using back then?

Thanks for any help you can give.

James