Is the Fulltone '70 the best silicon fuzz face for the price these days?

Black Dog

Silver Supporting Member
So it looks like you can get a "blem" Fulltone 70 on their website for $112, and I'm wondering, is this the best BC-108 fuzz face you can get these days for the price? The only one comparable in price is the Dunlop version IMO. All the others are way more expensive. For instance, the Analogman Sun Face BC-108 is probably the top of the line, but it will cost you at least twice that much, especially if you opt for modern features like an LED and 9v jack. Is there anything better in this price range?

Windup 43

Silver Supporting Member
The ‘70 is very good, although I only have experience with the big box version. The silicon MJM London is also excellent and sometimes can be found for very reasonable $$. That said, the Analogman BC108 Sunface is still my absolute favorite silicon, although I like the 183 and 109 quite a bit as well.

andare

I'm partial to the Dunlop JHF1 but it's not pedalboard friendly and probably really expensive now.

I've just built a Fuzz Face with BC108s and unsurprisingly it sounds the same. It's just a matter of fine tuning the bias. I like a lower voltage to Q2 for some spittiness.

Btw i guess Mike Fuller is not cancelled anymore?

Moderato

yes its great, you can make it sound nasty or mild and the mids knob makes it great with humbuckers also, one of the best FF out there

It would be interesting to see how it compares with the W&C Your Face Rude '70's with the low cut control and matched BC108 transistors, as opposed to the mids dial and intentionally mismatched transistors of the Fulltone. The price of each here in Australia is much the same, the W&C about $15AUD more expensive.

Last edited:

whateverdude

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve never played one, but at that price point, I’m sure it is. FWIW, My old band mate had the Duncan and it crapped out on him within a few months.

Mystik Spiral

I think it's bc109c but the foxrox hot silicon is superb.

The chase tone fuzz fella is also a very good option and more refined.

They are probably both a bit more than a blem Fulltone... but some options if you are still window shopping/saving.

dcburn

Silver Supporting Member
So it looks like you can get a "blem" Fulltone 70 on their website for $112, and I'm wondering, is this the best BC-108 fuzz face you can get these days for the price? The only one comparable in price is the Dunlop version IMO. All the others are way more expensive. For instance, the Analogman Sun Face BC-108 is probably the top of the line, but it will cost you at least twice that much, especially if you opt for modern features like an LED and 9v jack. Is there anything better in this price range?
Saw a Sunface on Facebook Marketplace this morn for $1100

killer blues

yes

lions571

Silver Supporting Member
I am starting to think Fulltone Fuzz is overlooked because some people are offended he told someone to buy a new 1 rather than get 1 fixed or something along those lines a few years ago and because he said something about looters during the BLM riots that a lot of people were thinking to, so some other people got their panties in a bunch. Dude has never done anything to me & makes good pedals. I even like the V2 Soul Bender people seem to not like much.

Reyybarra

Silver Supporting Member
fulltone has turned into the "bare minimum" pile for me. It's fine, i disagree with his politics so won't use any of the stuff i have from him anymore, but as far as sound.... it's "fine" it's not stellar, it's not even standout, it's just fine.
Kinda like taylor guitars, they get the job done fine, but wouldn't call it a standout or characteristic guitar.

Mystik Spiral

I've owned 3x purple big boxes, 2x blue big boxes and 3x small blue v2 Fulltone 70' Fuzzes.

After all that I tried the Chase tone Fuzz Fella - and it was so very similar and more focussed on what you want from a fuzz face. I took the knobs off and replaced what I needed on an orange amp and sold it eventually.

I love them all... never really paid attention to specific transistors though, but I currently own/use the hot silicon v2 (which is based on the original re-issue crest FFs)

FuzzMuff

I am starting to think Fulltone Fuzz is overlooked because some people are offended he told someone to buy a new 1 rather than get 1 fixed or something along those lines a few years ago and because he said something about looters during the BLM riots that a lot of people were thinking to, so some other people got their panties in a bunch. Dude has never done anything to me & makes good pedals. I even like the V2 Soul Bender people seem to not like much.

People should realize that many brilliant people, great engineers and mad scientist types lack soft skills. It's nothing personal, but these days everything is taken personally by quite a few people.

Fulltone makes great pedals for sure. I've never played the '70 but will add it to my list.

Top Bottom