is the godlyke power supply alright?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rorschah, Dec 21, 2005.

1. rorschah

rorschah Member

It's the cheapest one out there; is it decent compared to, say, the Dunlop brick?

-thi

2. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

3. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I use the godlyke and love it. It's only noisy when used with digital & non digital pedals together (try kicking on distortion and dd-20 together :eek:)

anyhow, there have been a million threads on this, use the search function!

4. macula56

macula56 Silver Supporting Member

i love mine. it's the only ps i've found that doesn't cause hum or noise with my wah pedal. in fact i haven't noticed any noise at all. jmac

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

A great alternative (my local music store turned me on to this when I was asking about "the brick") is the Carl Martin "Big John" power supply. It was a good deal cheaper than the brick where I am anyway.

It has a great, sturdy, steady supply, haven't had the slightest problem with it, and it has some built-in safety things. I accidentally plugged guitar input into my Mojo Vibes' expression pedal input (basically grounding out the postitive side of the PS) and the Big John protected itself and my pedals by not turning on! I found what I did wrong, unplugged it and all was well. I am impressed!

It has an ON LED and a "everything checks out okay" LED...

Has seven outputs. Only two drawbacks,
    1) for some unexplained (and I even asked them) reason they only supply 5 DC power cables with the unit, even though there are 7 outs! and

2) The DC power cable barrel connectors are all straight connectors. This prevents you from stacking them closely above each other (the pedals). I got around both "problems" by buying RNC (power supply side connectors) and barrel right angled, and making my own. The tricky part, you have to make sure the center pin from the supply becomes the shield on the barrel, and vice versa.

I still recommend these...they are SPOT ON at 9.0000 Vdc, and they have plenty of power. They are a real bargain!

6. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

I've been using it with my pedalboard and it has been great especially since I have pedals from all different manufactures and it's powering them all without a problem.

7. Ed Alvarado

Ed Alvarado Member

Great P.S. Very quiet and it takes up no room on your board.

8. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

All my OD's are analog and I have the Boss DD-6 after them. I use them in tandem A LOT with my Godlyke and 3 daisy chains attached. Have never noticed ANY noise differential with any combination of digital and non-digital effects. And I'm really anal about noise.

-Ben

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Congrats on your lack of noise. Maybe it's just the dd-20 then, which uses a whopping 200 mA (barely making a dent in my godlykes limitations nonetheless!). I have the dd-20 in a loooper, so when it's out of the signal I don't get the noise from it. When it's in there, well, that's what my ISP decimator is for

Anyone can expand on this?

10. JoeyD

JoeyD Member

From what I understand, the digital "clock" in the dd-20 dosent sync with the digital clock in the godlyke, causing the noise. I have a godlyke powering my DD-3 and a million analog pedals and theres no issues.

11. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Sheesh- who knew there would actually be an answer! Thanks for the info!
    -Ben

12. sandman

sandman Member

any experience with 1 Spot - DD-20?

I use it to power eight pedals including dd-3.

I have a Gas for DD-20 so...